Unconfirmed tornado rips through Ottawa

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
Although it hasn't been confirmed officially yet, if it smells, walks, and sounds like a duck then it must be a duck. Judging from the picture, I'm guessing an F3.

IMG_6750.JPG

KenM10759

KenM10759

Audioholic Samurai
Your photo or someone else's? Was it very close to you?

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
It's 95F in MAY in NJ. In another 20 years and NJ will new the Caribbean.

KenM10759

KenM10759

Audioholic Samurai
I'm in central Massachusetts, 60 miles from the coast. I bought here 35 years ago, not realizing that my heirs will likely have beachfront property.

H

Hetfield

Audioholic Samurai
We had one in Hazet NJ and that is as rare as it gets around here. Very strange.

KenM10759

KenM10759

Audioholic Samurai
We've had a half-dozen or so in Massachusetts over the last 50 years. Not a great many, but some damage done. In 1953, one killed 94 people, injured 1,300. I wasn't born yet but my parents told stories. They were VERY close to where it finally lifted.

The 2011 one was an EF3 and ripped through 37-1/2 miles, killing 3 and losing a LOT of homes & businesses. The closest to me was a little EF0 about 3 miles away that didn't cause too much damage, it was mostly in the woods. It did go through Treasure Valley, a local Boy Scout camp, and my brother was there as a young adult leader. He was credited with sheltering 3 young Scouts from harm by evacuating them from their tents and getting them to the cellar of the Ranger's house.

I wouldn't wish that on anyone. It's so weird that in just a flash a tornado can wipe the surface clean of every structure, tree, EVERYTHING, and 15 minutes later the sun is shining and people are wandering around like zombies wondering where did their entire life's work or worse, family, go to?

Mikado463

Mikado463

Audioholic Spartan
Crazy weather, 96 F here yesterday and my son had 18" of snow @ his house in Colorado yesterday.

Got good friends in the Ottawa area, I'll have to check in ......

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
Last time we saw a tornado in Ottawa was in 2018 when 7 ripped through here. Before 2018, I don't think remember having any and I moved to Ottawa back in 1987

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
Your photo or someone else's? Was it very close to you?
Its not my pic. I'm baby sitting my daughter and son inlaw's dogs about 90 minutes north of Ottawa. No rain, no storm but lost power here for 6 hours. Apparently power is still out at my home.

Mikado463

Mikado463

Audioholic Spartan
Just heard back from friends, their daughters property had a tree uprooted, missed the house but took out her car. Nobody hurt thankfully......

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
I arrived home Monday afternoon. Other than power, everything was good with the home. No shingles were lost. The fridge was warm so I tossed out mayonaise, eggs, salad dressing, and a opened jar of pickled herring. The freezer section was starting to thaw. I lost all of my popsickels. Food near the top of the chest freezer was also starting to thaw but not quite as much as the fridge freezer. I ended up taking all of the freezer contents to a friend of mine and stored it in his freezer. I thsn took the contents of the fridge and dumped it into coolers with the big ice blocks. Power came back on around 8:00 pm. I took advantage of the situation and cleaned the fridge freezer, someting I havent done in 5 years. Also cleaned the fridge and the chest freezer. I waited a couple of hours for the fridge to start feeling cold and I dumped the contents of the cooler back into the fridge. Next day, I retrieved the freezer food.

All in all I consider myself very lucky for only having lost that little bit of food.

Apparently that tornado formation never touched ground so by definition, it was not a tornado. Good thing because that funnel was big.

Mikado463

Mikado463

Audioholic Spartan
Sorry to hear about the popsicles, rumor has it they are the next shortage after baby formula ........ :p

Eppie

Eppie

Audioholic Ninja
I arrived home Monday afternoon. Other than power, everything was good with the home. No shingles were lost. The fridge was warm so I tossed out mayonaise, eggs, salad dressing, and a opened jar of pickled herring. The freezer section was starting to thaw. I lost all of my popsickels. Food near the top of the chest freezer was also starting to thaw but not quite as much as the fridge freezer. I ended up taking all of the freezer contents to a friend of mine and stored it in his freezer. I thsn took the contents of the fridge and dumped it into coolers with the big ice blocks. Power came back on around 8:00 pm. I took advantage of the situation and cleaned the fridge freezer, someting I havent done in 5 years. Also cleaned the fridge and the chest freezer. I waited a couple of hours for the fridge to start feeling cold and I dumped the contents of the cooler back into the fridge. Next day, I retrieved the freezer food.

All in all I consider myself very lucky for only having lost that little bit of food.

Apparently that tornado formation never touched ground so by definition, it was not a tornado. Good thing because that funnel was big.
Pickled herring?! A man after my own heart. I don't know anyone else here that likes them. I'll eat half a jar with rye bread for lunch. My mom makes a great pickled herring salad too.

We had two large limbs land in the backyard from a maple tree that was 50 feet west of us! Neighbours said the rain was horizontal due to the wind. We were on holiday in Portugal but my son sent photos. Power stayed on fortunately. The limbs missed the fence but took out a cedar and smashed our outside table to bits.
PXL_20220522_195441641_copy_1612x907.jpg

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
Pickled herring?! A man after my own heart. I don't know anyone else here that likes them. I'll eat half a jar with rye bread for lunch. My mom makes a great pickled herring salad too.

We had two large limbs land in the backyard from a maple tree that was 50 feet west of us! Neighbours said the rain was horizontal due to the wind. We were on holiday in Portugal but my son sent photos. Power stayed on fortunately. The limbs missed the fence but took out a cedar and smashed our outside table to bits.
View attachment 56240
Sorry about the damage. Still, all things considered, your lucky. You get to keep your pickled herring. :)
I make a pickled herring salad, a Christmas tradition passed to me by my German immigrant parents. The salad ingredients are potatoes, mayonnaise, beets in harvard sauce, pickled herring, walnuts, boiled eggs and an apple. The beets turns the whole thing pink. I wonder if its the same as your mothers. My Christmas diet consists of the salad and beer.

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
I heard on the CBC Ottawa news that confirmed that no tornados touched down. What caused all the damage were 190kph micro bursts.

Wayde Robson

Wayde Robson

Audioholics Anchorman
I heard on the CBC Ottawa news that confirmed that no tornados touched down. What caused all the damage were 190kph micro bursts.
Damn, we had a really bad storm in Guelph last weekend too. I was at the dump and got hit by sheets of rain and wind that I thought was going to take me away. Driving home from the outskirts of town was like driving through a disaster-area. Traffic lights were off, trees were down, there was even a power line down on a street barricaded by police and city workers. I guess there was some angry weather ranged pretty long across Ontario.

Eppie

Eppie

Audioholic Ninja
Sorry about the damage. Still, all things considered, your lucky. You get to keep your pickled herring. :)
I make a pickled herring salad, a Christmas tradition passed to me by my German immigrant parents. The salad ingredients are potatoes, mayonnaise, beets in harvard sauce, pickled herring, walnuts, boiled eggs and an apple. The beets turns the whole thing pink. I wonder if its the same as your mothers. My Christmas diet consists of the salad and beer.
Yup, that sounds a lot like my mother's herring salad except for the walnuts. Same pink colour from the beets. Not surprising as we're from Austria. ;)

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis