Go republicans! Let's restrict womens bodies again!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Ahh, the partial birth abortion argument. That accounts for such a negligible amount of abortion cases and is such a marginal and rare issue that it isn't even worth discussing. According to this article they account for 0.2% of abortions.
That's my point. It's super rare and almost every single one of those types of late term abortions are reserved for when the mother's life is in danger.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
  1. Of, relating to, or characteristic of a particular place.
  2. Of or relating to a city, town, or district rather than a larger area.
  3. Not broad or general; not widespread.
Okay, okay. I misspoke. I didn't mean local as in Phoenix, but the the whole country. I agree with you. It's a national issue.

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
And they've tried to do it in the past. Remember "Abstinence only" sex education? All that did was result in more teen pregnancies.
That was more in the '60s before "If it feels good, do it" became popular.

Q- What do you call Catholic girls that use the 'rhythm method'?
A- Mothers.

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
Ahh, the partial birth abortion argument. That accounts for such a negligible amount of abortion cases and is such a marginal and rare issue that it isn't even worth discussing. According to this article they account for 0.2% of abortions.
The Guttmacher Institute 1973-2017 info shows that more than 63 million abortions have occurred in that time. .2% is more than 125K- hardly marginal or negligible.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
The Guttmacher Institute 1973-2017 info shows that more than 63 million abortions have occurred in that time. .2% is more than 125K- hardly marginal or negligible.
It's also almost exclusively reserved for life threatening situations.

NINaudio

NINaudio

Audioholic Samurai
That was more in the '60s before "If it feels good, do it" became popular.

Q- What do you call Catholic girls that use the 'rhythm method'?
A- Mothers.
No, they definitely were pushing that in the 80's and 90's too. I lived through it, we were taught absolutely nothing about safe sex or birth control in school.

NINaudio

NINaudio

Audioholic Samurai
0.2% is still a fringe amount of cases no matter how you want to put it. Wanting to legislate all abortions based on 0.2% of them is kinda ridiculous.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
No, they definitely were pushing that in the 80's and 90's too. I lived through it, we were taught absolutely nothing about safe sex or birth control in school.
What this really boils down to is punishing people for having sex. Well I've got news, abstinence does not work. We have a powerful innate drive to reproduce and people are going to do it. We should be teaching safe sex and contraception instead of unrealistically pushing abstinence.

jinjuku

jinjuku

0.2% is still a fringe amount of cases no matter how you want to put it. Wanting to legislate all abortions based on 0.2% of them is kinda ridiculous.
If you want to get technical it's those kind of #'s that put the U.S. into covid lockdown.

jinjuku

jinjuku

Does the study state what % was medically necessary?

NINaudio

NINaudio

Audioholic Samurai
If you want to get technical it's those kind of #'s that put the U.S. into covid lockdown.
That's a false analogy. Lockdowns happened because of how quickly Covid was spreading and how high the initial death rates of the infected were. As it stands right now, more than 1% of closed cases have resulted in death. When Covid lockdowns went into effect, death rates of those infected were closer to 10%.

Never mind that you're trying to equate epidemic (public health) restrictions with bodily autonomy restrictions.

jinjuku

jinjuku

That's a false analogy. Lockdowns happened because of how quickly Covid was spreading and how high the initial death rates of the infected were. As it stands right now, more than 1% of closed cases have resulted in death. When Covid lockdowns went into effect, death rates of those infected were closer to 10%.

Never mind that you're trying to equate epidemic (public health) restrictions with bodily autonomy restrictions.
I'm not. 125,000 however you put it is 125,000. That's all I'm saying. I'm also leaning into the # because there's most likely a real medical reason. You can't talk about partial birth abortion without any context.

jinjuku

jinjuku

Just to put some personal context around this:

My shitheel of a brother and his baby-momma had one child because they are too dumb to practice any birth-control. The 2nd they aborted and he told me this because he's looking at his then 3 year old and was dealing with guilt. Of course he didn't learn from that and went on to have other kids with other women.

I want that avenue to be available. I wonder how many pregnancies are one-time oopsies. We need better access, better education, less stigma, better support structures. An ounce of prevention...

My SIL had a medically necessary abortion at 6 months were the fetus was in critical non-viable condition. This was most likely a partial birth extraction.

GO-NAD!

GO-NAD!

Audioholic Spartan
What is recent? How long ago was Roe vs Wade? 50 years ago? Religion didn't have a problem with abortion before that?
In Canada and the US, abortion wasn't regulated until the late 19th century, when medical associations were formed. They decided that midwives who helped women with abortions were taking the food from doctors' tables, so lobbied for regulation. Concurrently, the women's rights movement was gaining strength and the backlash against it included anti-abortion campaigns. Prior to that, I'm not sure religious opposition amounted to much.

NINaudio

NINaudio

Audioholic Samurai
I'm not. 125,000 however you put it is 125,000. That's all I'm saying. I'm also leaning into the # because there's most likely a real medical reason. You can't talk about partial birth abortion without any context.
You're literally trying to compare 125,000 partial birth abortions out of 63 million abortions over 44 years to 1 million+ covid deaths out of 81+ million cases over 2 years?

The context for using partial birth abortions as an argument against all abortions is that they are 0.2% of all abortions.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
In Canada and the US, abortion wasn't regulated until the late 19th century, when medical associations were formed. They decided that midwives who helped women with abortions were taking the food from doctors' tables, so lobbied for regulation. Concurrently, the women's rights movement was gaining strength and the backlash against it included anti-abortion campaigns. Prior to that, I'm not sure religious opposition amounted to much.
I would have to do some research also as I don't really know that far back. However, right now they are definitely the most vocal about restricting women's right to choose.

GO-NAD!

GO-NAD!

Audioholic Spartan
I would have to do some research also as I don't really know that far back. However, right now they are definitely the most vocal about restricting women's right to choose.
Oh, for sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis