Go republicans! Let's restrict womens bodies again!

Status
Not open for further replies.
highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
I NEVER said that! You point out where I said I'm okay with ANY of it!
You kind of did when you posted "aren't currently legislating their beliefs on me... ".

I get it. It's not a local problem but that's what people said before the US entered WWII. It creeps.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
And this shows the issue in this- you're saying that a non-viable pregnancy isn't torture or mutilation without defining 'viable'. I have seen definitions of 'alive' including 'has a pulse and is able to feel pain'- both begin fairly early.

What about 'partial-birth' abortions, where they preform what amounts to a breach birth and snip the spinal cord while the head is still in the birth canal? That's more than 80% of the body outside of the would-be mother.
From what I understand, and the way I'm using it is, if it cannot survive outside the womb it is not viable. Thats my own personal interpretation tho, and I could be totally using it wrong. I'm open to being corrected on that.

highfigh

highfigh

Omg dude, you need to do some research. They're going after contraception hardcore.

*Edit: whether or not they succeed is up in the air and probably unlikely, but it doesn't change the fact that they're doing it.
I haven't seen it, but that doesn't mean it's not happening. If you want to make your point more effectively, you might post some examples.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
You kind of did when you posted "aren't currently legislating their beliefs on me... ".

I get it. It's not a local problem but that's what people said before the US entered WWII. It creeps.
Well they're not. And they don't have anything to do with the thread topic. This is a local problem.

Trust me, I have all kinds of issues with Islam too, lol.

NINaudio

NINaudio

Audioholic Samurai
Exactly. I don't know where the theists have come up with abortion being against god's will, because it's not mentioned in the bible as being wrong, and in fact has been ordered by god. Like this infidelity test...

"Then the priest shall put the woman under oath and say to her, “If no other man has had sexual relations with you and you have not gone astray and become impure while married to your husband, may this bitter water that brings a curse not harm you. But if you have gone astray while married to your husband and you have made yourself impure by having sexual relations with a man other than your husband”—here the priest is to put the woman under this curse—“may the Lord cause you to become a curse among your people when he makes your womb miscarry and your abdomen swell. May this water that brings a curse enter your body so that your abdomen swells or your womb miscarries."

The "curse" being "poison" added to the water... "dust from the tabernacle floor".

So if your wife cheats then god will force an abortion?? How about when he orders the genocide of other tribes and orders men to kill all the women who have known men, keep the virgins and slice open the bellies of the pregnant women? That too sounds like abortion to me.
That Old Testament god was a right prick.

jinjuku

jinjuku

What about 'partial-birth' abortions, where they preform what amounts to a breach birth and snip the spinal cord while the head is still in the birth canal? That's more than 80% of the body outside of the would-be mother.
I thought SCOTUS banned that in 2007. And yes it sounds gruesome. No other way to spin it.

highfigh

highfigh

From what I understand, and the way I'm using it is, if it cannot survive outside the womb it is not viable. Thats my own personal interpretation tho, and I could be totally using it wrong. I'm open to being corrected on that.
I don't know how long it needs to survive, by definition- some can live for seconds, minutes or hours, some more than a week. Considering the measures taken in NICU, some must be in disagreement of 'short-term viability' as a reason to abort.

GO-NAD!

GO-NAD!

Audioholic Spartan
When I say "thiest" I'm not necessarily referring only to Christians. The Muslims are just as bad, in some cases worse, however they are not nearly as prevalent wrt to America, where I live and wake up every day surrounded by people who believe in batshit crazy things with no evidence or justifications. If the Muslims were currently trying to take over the Supreme Court and force sharia law on me you can bet I'd be talking a lot more about them.

To be clear, I think all of theology is a huge problem and encourages bad reasoning and logic skills. In all its forms it retards scientific research and discovery and holds humanity back as a whole. That includes Islam, Christianity, Scientology and all the rest. I'm currently picking on Christianity because they are the ones pushing this on us right now.
Well, that point flew over your head. It isn't "the Christians" who are against abortion either. I'm well aware of your stance on religion; we've had this discussion before. Throwing out strawmen is unhelpful.

If it helps, I'll spell it out - it's primarily the RC church and evangelical Protestants who are anti-abortion. And, you will find subsets within those denominations who do not oppose abortion, as well.

highfigh

highfigh

Well they're not. And they don't have anything to do with the thread topic. This is a local problem.

Trust me, I have all kinds of issues with Islam too, lol.
Local? This is a national problem.

NINaudio

NINaudio

Audioholic Samurai
So how is that going to happen when the same people legislating their abortion beliefs on everyone else decide to go after contraception too? Which btw, they are currently doing in full force...
And they've tried to do it in the past. Remember "Abstinence only" sex education? All that did was result in more teen pregnancies.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I haven't seen it, but that doesn't mean it's not happening. If you want to make your point more effectively, you might post some examples.

Thats just one quick example. It's happening all over.

highfigh

highfigh

I thought SCOTUS banned that in 2007. And yes it sounds gruesome. No other way to spin it.
But it was allowed for almost 40 years after Roe v Wade.
BTW- Roe v Wade was more about a woman's privacy WRT government knowing what she was doing than just about the right to abortion.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
How many of those have happened?

highfigh

highfigh

Local as in our nation, lol.

1. Of, relating to, or characteristic of a particular place.
  2. Of or relating to a city, town, or district rather than a larger area.
  3. Not broad or general; not widespread.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Throwing out strawmen is unhelpful.
I apologize, your point did go right over my head. I did not mean to strawman you. I actually hate that. Again, my apologies.
If it helps, I'll spell it out - it's primarily the RC church and evangelical Protestants who are anti-abortion. And, you will find subsets within those denominations who do not oppose abortion, as well.
Are you saying that religion has nothing to do with the right's stance on this in taking away bodily autonomy?

NINaudio

NINaudio

Audioholic Samurai
And this shows the issue in this- you're saying that a non-viable pregnancy isn't torture or mutilation without defining 'viable'. I have seen definitions of 'alive' including 'has a pulse and is able to feel pain'- both begin fairly early.

Ahh, the partial birth abortion argument. That accounts for such a negligible amount of abortion cases and is such a marginal and rare issue that it isn't even worth discussing. According to this article they account for 0.2% of abortions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis