Go republicans! Let's restrict womens bodies again!

Status
Not open for further replies.
H

Hetfield

Audioholic Samurai
Oh, you have no idea. Some of it is downright abominable. Creates a real "us vs them" mentality. Not only good for misogyny tho, it's a great handbook for bigotry too.
It's funny I went through the charade when I was kid and I did because we had to and once it was that was it but I never read the Bible. Glad I didn't.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
It's funny I went through the charade when I was kid and I did because we had to and once it was that was it but I never read the Bible. Glad I didn't.
I could go off on the Bible for days... but this is about the right to choose so I won't. My main point is, I don't understand where the theists are getting the idea that abortion is such a sin. They don't seem to have a problem mutilating babies at birth (circumcision, another abomination imo) and their God certainly doesn't seem to have any problems aborting fetuses when he sees fit...

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
Not to mention, a government that can take away a woman's rights to bodily autonomy and force her to carry to full term against her will, is also a government that can decide to force an abortion...
If they don't want to allow it, why would they force it?

highfigh

highfigh

I could go off on the Bible for days... but this is about the right to choose so I won't. My main point is, I don't understand where the theists are getting the idea that abortion is such a sin. They don't seem to have a problem mutilating babies at birth (circumcision, another abomination imo) and their God certainly doesn't seem to have any problems aborting fetuses when he sees fit...
Snipping and killing are a bit different. If you don't like circumcision, why aren't you commenting on the Muslim practice of female genital mutilation, to prevent them receiving pleasure from sex?

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
If they don't want to allow it, why would they force it?
Who knows? Who knows what might be decided years down the road by the religious right? Did you read the test for infidelity I posted? Now that bodily autonomy is taken away what's to stop someone from forcing the opposite?

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Snipping and killing are a bit different. If you don't like circumcision, why aren't you commenting on the Muslim practice of female genital mutilation, to prevent them receiving pleasure from sex?
They're both equally disgusting. However the Muslims aren't currently legislating their beliefs on me...

highfigh

highfigh

Canada has no laws regulating abortion (the last was struck down as unconstitutional in 1988) and the procedure is publicly funded, yet abortion rates are much lower than in the US.
Abortion Law and Policy: Comparisons Between the U.S. and Canada (arcc-cdac.ca)

Since the leak, Canadian politicians have come out to confirm that American women can access abortion services here. Of course, it wouldn't be free for them, as they wouldn't be covered by medicare here.

Although some conservative politicians rage against abortion here, Conservative Party leadership are afraid to raise the issue in parliament as it is most assuredly a vote-loser, since 80% of Canadians support a woman's right to choose.
Maybe abortions are less common because Canadians act more responsibly than people in the US. If someone is raped, subjected to incest or is in some other form of abusive relationship, it should be allowed but as a solution to "Oopsie, I'm preggers", especially when it happens several times, those pregnancies should have been prevented. I was in a checkout line and a pregnant teen was behind me with her friend and at one point, she said "Ah hate bein' pregnint" (that's how she pronounced it). She might have been 15 or 16. I doubt that kid, if it lives, isn't going to have a good life.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Snipping and killing are a bit different.
And btw, terminating a non viable pregnancy is not killing. Nor is it mutilation and torture of a newborn baby. So yeah, you're right. It's different.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
those pregnancies should have been prevented.
So how is that going to happen when the same people legislating their abortion beliefs on everyone else decide to go after contraception too? Which btw, they are currently doing in full force...

highfigh

highfigh

Who knows? Who knows what might be decided years down the road by the religious right? Did you read the test for infidelity I posted? Now that bodily autonomy is taken away what's to stop someone from forcing the opposite?
I think that if it was going to be forced, it would have happened during the Jim Crow decades.

I think it would be easy for someone to make forced abortion known to the public, unless the 'Misinformation Police' can find a way to stop them. I'm not aware of any time when the US forced abortion- that's for countries where human rights are strictly controlled and limited, like China and some in the Middle East. No, I don't want anyone to call me 'racist' for the last comment- 'Middle-Eastern' isn't a race, it's a region.

I think that the US would start with mandatory abortion of physically or mentally defective pregnancies before they haul off and force abortions for healthy fetuses.

BTW- John Roberts confirmed the authenticity of the leak, but stated that it "does not represent a decision by the Court or the final position of any member on the issues in the case".

highfigh

highfigh

So how is that going to happen when the same people legislating their abortion beliefs on everyone else decide to go after contraception too? Which btw, they are currently doing in full force...
Where are they trying to stop contraception? AFAIK, only the Catholic church would want to limit that and the Pope has said condoms should be used. Is it Evangelicals? Screw them! Regardless, they can't have it both ways.

highfigh

highfigh

They're both equally disgusting. However the Muslims aren't currently legislating their beliefs on me...
So it's OK, as long as it doesn't affect you.

Sell that to the Canadians and others from outside of the US here.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I think that if it was going to be forced, it would have happened during the Jim Crow decades.

I think it would be easy for someone to make forced abortion known to the public, unless the 'Misinformation Police' can find a way to stop them. I'm not aware of any time when the US forced abortion- that's for countries where human rights are strictly controlled and limited, like China and some in the Middle East. No, I don't want anyone to call me 'racist' for the last comment- 'Middle-Eastern' isn't a race, it's a region.

I think that the US would start with mandatory abortion of physically or mentally defective pregnancies before they haul off and force abortions for healthy fetuses.

BTW- John Roberts confirmed the authenticity of the leak, but stated that it "does not represent a decision by the Court or the final position of any member on the issues in the case".
According to the bible God is perfectly okay with aborting the fetus of a cheating wife. He in fact will do it himself if the wife has been unfaithful. Is it such a huge stretch to imagine the theocracy deciding to expedite the process for all unfaithful wives? Given their history and the draconian laws being legislated right now it wouldn't surprise me a bit.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Where are they trying to stop contraception? AFAIK, only the Catholic church would want to limit that and the Pope has said condoms should be used. Is it Evangelicals? Screw them! Regardless, they can't have it both ways.
Omg dude, you need to do some research. They're going after contraception hardcore.

*Edit: whether or not they succeed is up in the air and probably unlikely, but it doesn't change the fact that they're doing it.

GO-NAD!

GO-NAD!

Audioholic Spartan
Just want to clarify something. It isn't "the theists" claiming that abortion is a sin any more than it's "the Muslims" who want to recreate the Caliphate. Did you note the author of the article I linked? The Anglican priest?

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Just want to clarify something. It isn't "the theists" claiming that abortion is a sin any more than it's "the Muslims" who want to recreate the Caliphate. Did you note the author of the article I linked? The Anglican priest?
When I say "thiest" I'm not necessarily referring only to Christians. The Muslims are just as bad, in some cases worse, however they are not nearly as prevalent wrt to America, where I live and wake up every day surrounded by people who believe in batshit crazy things with no evidence or justifications. If the Muslims were currently trying to take over the Supreme Court and force sharia law on me you can bet I'd be talking a lot more about them.

To be clear, I think all of theology is a huge problem and encourages bad reasoning and logic skills. In all its forms it retards scientific research and discovery and holds humanity back as a whole. That includes Islam, Christianity, Scientology and all the rest. I'm currently picking on Christianity because they are the ones pushing this on us right now.

GO-NAD!

GO-NAD!

Audioholic Spartan
Maybe abortions are less common because Canadians act more responsibly than people in the US. If someone is raped, subjected to incest or is in some other form of abusive relationship, it should be allowed but as a solution to "Oopsie, I'm preggers", especially when it happens several times, those pregnancies should have been prevented. I was in a checkout line and a pregnant teen was behind me with her friend and at one point, she said "Ah hate bein' pregnint" (that's how she pronounced it). She might have been 15 or 16. I doubt that kid, if it lives, isn't going to have a good life.
This is how you reduce the need for abortions:

Rates would plummet, and have been show to do so, if we provide freely obtainable contraceptives, modern sex education in all schools, universally available public daycare, and if we work to eradicate poverty, empower women, and economically support mothers in general and especially those who are struggling financially.
Abortion opposition is about control | The Star

highfigh

highfigh

And btw, terminating a non viable pregnancy is not killing. Nor is it mutilation and torture of a newborn baby. So yeah, you're right. It's different.
And this shows the issue in this- you're saying that a non-viable pregnancy isn't torture or mutilation without defining 'viable'. I have seen definitions of 'alive' including 'has a pulse and is able to feel pain'- both begin fairly early.

What about 'partial-birth' abortions, where they preform what amounts to a breach birth and snip the spinal cord while the head is still in the birth canal? That's more than 80% of the body outside of the would-be mother.

Status
Not open for further replies.
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis