Multiple front speaker setup question

C

ciotime

Audioholic
Hi...I currently have a 7.3.4 home theater setup using Arendal 1723 THX for my fronts. I've been interested lately to try the KLH Model 5 as my 2 front's for 2 ch music. Does it somehow degrade/alter the sound if I add the KLH coz then they will be placed beside or near to the existing Arendals? I've seen some setup where they have multiple front speakers using different brands and it always makes me wonder doesn't the sound somehow get tarnished due to the speakers being close to each other like the SBIR effect etc? Attached is a picture of how my setup looks...if I add the KLH they would be placed right beside or near to the Arendals. Thanks....

front 1.jpeg

Attachments

mono-bloc

mono-bloc

Full Audioholic
Arendal 1723 THX for my fronts. I've been interested lately to try the KLH Model 5
I'm sorry but I have no knowledge of those brands of speakers. We don't have them is OZ. However speakers are speakers and providing there not siting in front of your existing speakers there should not be a problem. Just make sure they hav space to breath.

Does it somehow degrade/alter the sound
WE get used to the sound of our speakers and over time they may degrade, but we don't really notice, until other speakers come into the mix

I've seen some setup where they have multiple front speakers using different brands
I have three sets of speakers in my set-up spread over a 5 metre frontage.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Hi...I currently have a 7.3.4 home theater setup using Arendal 1723 THX for my fronts. I've been interested lately to try the KLH Model 5 as my 2 front's for 2 ch music. Does it somehow degrade/alter the sound if I add the KLH coz then they will be placed beside or near to the existing Arendals? I've seen some setup where they have multiple front speakers using different brands and it always makes me wonder doesn't the sound somehow get tarnished due to the speakers being close to each other like the SBIR effect etc? Attached is a picture of how my setup looks...if I add the KLH they would be placed right beside or near to the Arendals. Thanks....

View attachment 55949
If you place the speakers side by side, that could affect the sound by basically expanding the front baffle of both speakers. I don't think it would have a severe effect on the sound, but possibly a mild but audible effect. That being said, I wouldn't bother with KLH Model 5s when you already have such capable speakers. The KLH Model 5s are not likely to be on the level of the 1723 Towers.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
If you place the speakers side by side, that could affect the sound by basically expanding the front baffle of both speakers. I don't think it would have a severe effect on the sound, but possibly a mild but audible effect. That being said, I wouldn't bother with KLH Model 5s when you already have such capable speakers. The KLH Model 5s are not likely to be on the level of the 1723 Towers.
Agreed. Seems to me the KLH Model 5s are a step down across the board for sound quality...

C

ciotime

Audioholic
Thanks guys for the feedback...I was actually thinking the same and was just hoping for the validation. The KLH just intrigues me coz of the the retro look plus I believe it's in a sealed enclosure. Been seeing a lot of good reviews on the KLH.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
It's apparently a return to acoustic suspension (which is different than simply sealed, try this article). While KLH were some of my favorite speakers back in the 70s, and I'd be interested in trying them out, you have some terrific speakers already.....be interesting to see your thoughts as a comparison.....how would you setup so that you could actually compare them fairly?

C

ciotime

Audioholic
It's apparently a return to acoustic suspension (which is different than simply sealed, try this article). While KLH were some of my favorite speakers back in the 70s, and I'd be interested in trying them out, you have some terrific speakers already.....be interesting to see your thoughts as a comparison.....how would you setup so that you could actually compare them fairly?
After seeing the comments I've decided not to get the KLH...why go down in standards right???

mono-bloc

mono-bloc

Full Audioholic
that could affect the sound by basically expanding the front baffle
I think you would agree that getting two different brands or models of speakers perfectly aligned side by side , there by extending the baffle would be pretty remote

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
I think you would agree that getting two different brands or models of speakers perfectly aligned side by side , there by extending the baffle would be pretty remote
If you put any surface next to a speaker or around a speaker that doesn't allow the pressure waves to freely propagate, it effectively extends the baffle. This will increase diffraction effects in the acoustic behavior of the system.

K

kini

Full Audioholic
After seeing the comments I've decided not to get the KLH...why go down in standards right???
You won't really know until you try. IIRC it would cost you $75 to try a pair for up to 60 days from Crutchfield, if you didn't like them. You never know until you know-

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Personally I'd just rather see a bigger change in speaker, this seems more a lateral move in any case. Then again, you might like the KLH better than the Arendal....

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
There are some vintag-y gear that may perform well, but everything I've seen makes tradeoffs for that look of a wide and squat baffle.
As I recall the Arendal measurements I've seen, they are pretty legit. While I haven't heard them, agreement seems to be that they are pretty good Speakers.

Why do you want more? I could see a separate system in a different room like what @WookieGR is in the process of doing. But good Speakers are good Speakers. You got a pair in the room. what do you think you are going to get from a different pair that you can't get from the 1723s?

Or, perhaps more to the point, what is it you WANT to get that you seem to not be getting from the Arendals?

C

ciotime

Audioholic
There are some vintag-y gear that may perform well, but everything I've seen makes tradeoffs for that look of a wide and squat baffle.
As I recall the Arendal measurements I've seen, they are pretty legit. While I haven't heard them, agreement seems to be that they are pretty good Speakers.

Why do you want more? I could see a separate system in a different room like what @WookieGR is in the process of doing. But good Speakers are good Speakers. You got a pair in the room. what do you think you are going to get from a different pair that you can't get from the 1723s?

Or, perhaps more to the point, what is it you WANT to get that you seem to not be getting from the Arendals?
Nothing really...just curious. But I've got no complaints with the Arendals...they truly are a great set of speakers.

C

ciotime

Audioholic
You won't really know until you try. IIRC it would cost you $75 to try a pair for up to 60 days from Crutchfield, if you didn't like them. You never know until you know-
Unfortunately I'm based here in Asia and unlike there we don't get to test and return items if we don't like it. There's no such thing as a trial/return period here. Once you pay for it there's no return unless there's a defect. And even then most will try to fix it before they replace it.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Unfortunately I'm based here in Asia and unlike there we don't get to test and return items if we don't like it. There's no such thing as a trial/return period here. Once you pay for it there's no return unless there's a defect. And even then most will try to fix it before they replace it.
Where are you at?

mono-bloc

mono-bloc

Full Audioholic
I'm based here in Asia and unlike there we don't get to test and return items if we don't like it. There's no such thing as a trial/return period here
Same here in OZ. Depending on what your prepared to spend most dealers will do a home audition. Budget lines are a no no.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis