Who has a Parasound P6?

Shanman

Shanman

Audioholic
Are you happy with the Parasound P6? Do you wish you had gone a different route?

I keep waffling between the P6 or even a Denon AVRx3700 or higher that has the preamp setting to kill the internal amps. I have a 2.2 system strictly for music- vinyl, cd's, hi res files, so a pre-amp or AVR with a good phono preamp is a must. The phono pre and DAC in the P6 seem to be well regarded based on reviews.

The main objective is to to replace my old Adcom preamp to another that has bass management. I want to high pass my Snell D7 towers and let the subs do all the heavy lifting, as well as not duplicate bass between the subs and towers. Thanks for any input from P6 owners, or others who have gone down the 2.1 or 2.2 rabbit hole of bass management.

P6? AVR? Mini Dsp Flex?

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Are you happy with the Parasound P6? Do you wish you had gone a different route?

I keep waffling between the P6 or even a Denon AVRx3700 or higher that has the preamp setting to kill the internal amps. I have a 2.2 system strictly for music- vinyl, cd's, hi res files, so a pre-amp or AVR with a good phono preamp is a must. The phono pre and DAC in the P6 seem to be well regarded based on reviews.

The main objective is to to replace my old Adcom preamp to another that has bass management. I want to high pass my Snell D7 towers and let the subs do all the heavy lifting, as well as not duplicate bass between the subs and towers. Thanks for any input from P6 owners, or others who have gone down the 2.1 or 2.2 rabbit hole of bass management.

P6? AVR? Mini Dsp Flex?
If it is for 2.1, you can also consider Denon or Marantz's DRA-800H/NR1200.

The P6 has a better dac but you can do better with a $199 external dac.

Shanman

Shanman

Audioholic
Peng- I dont see anywhere in the specs that the amps can be turned off for either of the above for preamp mode? If they are anything like my old AVR-X3300, they tend to run hot, so disconnecting internal amps would be much preferred.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Peng- I dont see anywhere in the specs that the amps can be turned off for either of the above for preamp mode? If they are anything like my old AVR-X3300, they tend to run hot, so disconnecting internal amps would be much preferred.
If you turn ECO on, the NR1200 or DRA-800H won't be too warm. You are right for preamp mode, or even just to disconnect the front left/right channels, the 3700 is the way to go. One advantage of using the 3700 is that you can run Audyssey and use front L/R bypass option (if that's what you prefer).

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
No right or wrong answer. Just depends on your personal feelings about it.

For me, I would just get an AVR for 2.1Ch.

For my living room, I got an AVR (RX-A3080) for 2.1CH.

Shanman

Shanman

Audioholic
Only apprehension on the Denon route is I dont have a TV in the music room to access the online menu. With my X3300 in the living room, I always have to jump in the menu on the TV to tweak things it seems.

Strangely enough with the P6, when you use bass management, are forced to go unbalanced rca and can't take advantage of the XLR's they have included which I find odd.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Strangely enough with the P6, when you use bass management, are forced to go unbalanced rca and can't take advantage of the XLR's they have included which I find odd.
Are you sure, I read the manual and from what I could see the same should apply to both rca and xlr outputs.
Anyway, there is likely no audible advantage using XLR if you can keep your interconnects short enough.

Shanman

Shanman

Audioholic
Hopefully a P6 owner can chime in to confirm, but in this review he mentions-

"The RCA main output can be used full-range, or with the variable-frequency high-pass filter engaged. This helps with small satellite speakers that cannot reproduce low bass. Now all that extra energy is channeled to the working bandwidth of the speakers instead of adding to the bass distortion.

There is a dedicated XLR main out, which I predominately used. The XLR outputs do not have crossover options."

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Hopefully a P6 owner can chime in to confirm, but in this review he mentions-

"The RCA main output can be used full-range, or with the variable-frequency high-pass filter engaged. This helps with small satellite speakers that cannot reproduce low bass. Now all that extra energy is channeled to the working bandwidth of the speakers instead of adding to the bass distortion.

There is a dedicated XLR main out, which I predominately used. The XLR outputs do not have crossover options."
That does not say the XLR outputs won't do the same!

According to the instruction manual:
Microsoft Word - P 6 Manual FINAL (parasound.com)

On page 11 it says:

Left and Right Main Output Jacks (Balanced and Unbalanced) The Main Output Jacks are the primary outputs that connect to the inputs on your power amplifier. Both RCA (unbalanced) and XLR (balanced) connections are provided. The Balanced XLR Left and Right Outputs have the same signal as the Left and Right RCA Output jacks. Balanced outputs have 6dB higher gain. Both RCA and XLR outputs can be connected at the same time. The high pass crossover switch effects both the RCA and XLR outputs.

Shanman

Shanman

Audioholic
Ooh nice, thank you Peng, that review must have been mistaken. RtFM right?

What is the L/R bypass option you mentioned above? And am I wrong about needing a display of some sort to set the Denon up?

Last edited:
S

sterling shoote

Audioholic Field Marshall
Yes, I am satisfied with my Parasound P6. It is black as coal quiet on all sources, digital and analog and it's high/low pass filtering plus volume/loudness control of sub output support extraordinary bass management. It's DAC, for the most part, serves my Apple Music app running on an M1 iMac via usb connection, which delivers the most lifelike recorded music entertainment from lossless and hi-res recordings. And the P6's phono stage easily amps my Audio Technica Moving Coil Cartridge, as well as a stable of MM Carts. Another plus for the P6 is its Home Theater By-Pass feature, permitting integration of another pre-amp into system, which outputs to same power amps that the P6 outputs to. The only thing absent on the P6 is an HDMI input, which would permit enjoyment of DSD from stereo SACDs. But I have covered that via a Marantz NR1200 Receiver used as a preamp/DAC as connected to the P6's HT By-Pass. At any rate, the P6 is in a word Awesome: lifelike sound, quality build and esthetics, low price, and a full feature set that accommodates a variety of digital and analog sources, even analog recorders. One more thing, a contributor to this thread suggested that you can do better with a $199 external DAC than P6 DAC. That's baloney, but if you have a desire for .1 bass management, as well as HDMI connectivity, you could just buy a Marantz NR1200 and use it as a preamp. Mine has the AK 4458 DAC, the latest use Sabre DACs. I use the Marantz specifically for its HDMI input, allowing enjoyment of stereo DSD from SACDs played from my Sony UBP-X800M2 Universal Player.

Last edited:
P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Yes, I am satisfied with my Parasound P6. It is black as coal quiet on all sources, digital and analog and it's high/low pass filtering plus volume/loudness control of sub output support extraordinary bass management. It's DAC, for the most part, serves my Apple Music app running on an M1 iMac via usb connection, which delivers the most lifelike recorded music entertainment from lossless and hi-res recordings. And the P6's phono stage easily amps my Audio Technica Moving Coil Cartridge, as well as a stable of MM Carts. Another plus for the P6 is its Home Theater By-Pass feature, permitting integration of another pre-amp into system, which outputs to same power amps that the P6 outputs to. The only thing absent on the P6 is an HDMI input, which would permit enjoyment of DSD from stereo SACDs. But I have covered that via a Marantz NR1200 Receiver used as a preamp/DAC as connected to the P6's HT By-Pass. At any rate, the P6 is in a word Awesome: lifelike sound, quality build and esthetics, low price, and a full feature set that accommodates a variety of digital and analog sources, even analog recorders. One more thing, a contributor to this thread suggested that you can do better with a $199 external DAC than P6 DAC. That's baloney,
If I had make comments about a $199 external DAC being better, it would have been based on specs, bench test results, and that it can play pretty much all available PCM and DSD files, not subjective opinions like your ".....lifelike sound, quality build and esthetics, low price.....", obviously "low price" is a relative term too.

An example of a US$199 DAC/headphone amp (note that it is easily returnable):

TOPPING DX3 Pro+ Bluetooth DAC/Amp – Apos Audio
Amazon.com: Topping DX3 Pro+ Bluetooth 5.0 Headphone Amplifier LDAC Audio Decoder r DSD512 DAC Low Noise Amplifier for Home and Computer Black : Electronics

Subjectively speaking, I believe that in a blind test, it would be rare that on all else being equal basis, the listeners can tell between DACs that have specs that indicate distortions and noise are well below the threshold of audibility but that's just my own belief, it is not necessarily a fact.

You are entitled to your opinion like I am entitled to mine, and I won't refer to anyone's "baloney".

but if you have a desire for .1 bass management, as well as HDMI connectivity, you could just buy a Marantz NR1200 and use it as a preamp. Mine has the AK 4558 DAC, the latest use Sabre DACs. I use the Marantz specifically for its HDMI input, allowing enjoyment of stereo DSD from SACDs played from my Sony UBP-X800M2 Universal Player.
Not trying to contradict you, but would like the OP to have the information, if it is the NR1200, at launch time the product info indicated it used the AK4458 DAC, not the AK4558. After the AKM factory fire, D+M reportedly have substituted it with a different chip so we are not sure which DAC IC the newer ones are using now. The AK4458 is made by AKM, not ESS Sabre.

The P6, according to Parasound, has the ES Sabre chip, that is the ES9018Q2M. IMO, at its price point, it is quite good for a preamp with DAC built in so no disagreement here.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Ooh nice, thank you Peng, that review must have been mistaken. RtFM right?

What is the L/R bypass option you mentioned above? And am I wrong about needing a display of some sort to set the Denon up?
If you run Audyssey for 2.1, I am not sure you will have the option to use L/R bypass but I can try it for you, not today though. If you run it for 5.1 or even 3.1, you can select L/R bypass. With L/R bypass, Audyssey would just EQ the subwoofer and other channels (if you have them) but will leave front L/R alone, that is, won't EQ those two channels.

The $20 MultEQ Editor App will let you run Audyssey without a TV monitor because you can see everything on the IOS or Android device that you will be using to run MultEQ. With the App, you can even limit the frequency range for EQ.

Running Audyssey Using the MultEQ Editor App (digitalnoesis.org)

S

sterling shoote

Audioholic Field Marshall
If I had make comments about a $199 external DAC being better, it would have been based on specs, bench test results, and that it can play pretty much all available PCM and DSD files, not subjective opinions like your ".....lifelike sound, quality build and esthetics, low price.....", obviously "low price" is a relative term too.

An example of a US$199 DAC/headphone amp (note that it is easily returnable):

TOPPING DX3 Pro+ Bluetooth DAC/Amp – Apos Audio
Amazon.com: Topping DX3 Pro+ Bluetooth 5.0 Headphone Amplifier LDAC Audio Decoder r DSD512 DAC Low Noise Amplifier for Home and Computer Black : Electronics

Subjectively speaking, I believe that in a blind test, it would be rare that on all else being equal basis, the listeners can tell between DACs that have specs that indicate distortions and noise are well below the threshold of audibility but that's just my own belief, it is not necessarily a fact.

You are entitled to your opinion like I am entitled to mine, and I won't refer to anyone's "baloney".

Not trying to contradict you, but would like the OP to have the information, if it is the NR1200, at launch time the product info indicated it used the AK4458 DAC, not the AK4558. After the AKM factory fire, D+M reportedly have substituted it with a different chip so we are not sure which DAC IC the newer ones are using now. The AK4458 is made by AKM, not ESS Sabre.

The P6, according to Parasound, has the ES Sabre chip, that is the ES9018Q2M. IMO, at its price point, it is quite good for a preamp with DAC built in so no disagreement here.
Yeah 4458 and no, still baloney on a $199 external DAC outperforming P6 DAC.

Shanman

Shanman

Audioholic
I appreciate both your contributions gents. I'll dig through and process some of the options you have both brought to the table. The P6 was originally the top of the list as it seemed the swiss army knife of what I was looking for- bass management, great DAC and phono section. Now that I can deal with setting up a Marantz or Denon option without a TV, and then have Audyssey at my finger tips, that is opened up some strong options to the P6. Man, if the P6 had DIRAC, that would be the poop!

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
I appreciate both your contributions gents. I'll dig through and process some of the options you have both brought to the table. The P6 was originally the top of the list as it seemed the swiss army knife of what I was looking for- bass management, great DAC and phono section. Now that I can deal with setting up a Marantz or Denon option without a TV, and then have Audyssey at my finger tips, that is opened up some strong options to the P6. Man, if the P6 had DIRAC, that would be the poop!
You can use Dirac with the P6, or any avr that has preouts. It will cost you a few hundred dollars though.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
If you run Audyssey for 2.1, I am not sure you will have the option to use L/R bypass but I can try it for you, not today though. If you run it for 5.1 or even 3.1, you can select L/R bypass. With L/R bypass, Audyssey would just EQ the subwoofer and other channels (if you have them) but will leave front L/R alone, that is, won't EQ those two channels.

The $20 MultEQ Editor App will let you run Audyssey without a TV monitor because you can see everything on the IOS or Android device that you will be using to run MultEQ. With the App, you can even limit the frequency range for EQ.

Running Audyssey Using the MultEQ Editor App (digitalnoesis.org)
FWIW, I was curious if I would still see an option for L/R Bypass in 2.1 setup, but it did not offer that option (but did still provide for Audyssey Ref or Flat curves)

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
FWIW, I was curious if I would still see an option for L/R Bypass in 2.1 setup, but it did not offer that option (but did still provide for Audyssey Ref or Flat curves)
I was wondering about that, and thank you for confirming it. For those who want to use Audyssey to EQ the sub but prefer the L/R to be untouched, they could just hook up a center speaker to run Audyssey in 3.1. Once that's done, I suppose they can use the speaker menu and change the center speaker to "none".

It does work that way when I tried it on my X4400H but I don't know if it would work for the other D+M models and I remember vaguely that it wouldn't retain the L/R Bypass option that way when I tried it with the AV8801, but that was long time ago. May be you can try that on your 4520?

Why do you think D+M (more likely it's their choice, not Audyssey's) would provide such an option for multi-channel and yet wouldn't allow it for 2.1 stereo?

Last edited:
lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I was wondering about that, thank you for confirming it. For those who want to use Audyssey to EQ the sub but prefer the L/R to be untouched, they could just hook up a center speaker to run Audyssey in 3.1. Once that's done, I suppose they can use the speaker menu and change the center speaker to "none".

It does work that way when I tried it on my X4400H but I don't know if it would work for the other D+M models and I remember vaguely that it wouldn't retain the L/R Bypass option that way when I tried it with the AV8801 but that was long time ago. May be you can try that on your 4520?

What do you think D+M (more likely it's there choice, not Audyssey's) have in mind for providing such an option for multi-channel and yet wouldn't allow it for 2.1 stereo?

To me, even for 2.1, such as option would please the die hard Audyssey haters who are against down sampling to 48 kHz for no obvious reasons, and those who want to run Dirac Live for stereo use and don't mind Audyssey (or AARC etc.) for 5.1,7.1, etc.
That is from my 4520 but suspect its like that on the various D&M models....otoh I don't use L/R Bypass myself. If I had the app and only wanted a 2.1 speaker setup that could be limited to Schroeder and effectively bypass the L/R speakers. As to just using the avr's lcd panel instead of a tv, wouldn't be impossible but I always have the tv or the pc/web control option.

Shanman

Shanman

Audioholic
Man, the refurb 3700 at A4L for 1299 and 3 yr warranty just got more tempting with a $100 coupon and free shipping. Especially since the P6 has been MIA for over 6 months now anywhere.

Parasound tells me late May for restock to their distributors.

Last edited:
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis