Ukraine – Russia … not more of the last thread

haraldo

haraldo

Audioholic Spartan
During the Cold War, there was zero chance that the USSR would sell any strategic materials to the US and the US wanted Ti, so the CIA set up a company that was able to buy it.

I bet someone puckered when they found out.

Did you know that the US has been buying rocket engines from Russia?
The titanium in SR71 solely came from Soviet Union :D

haraldo

haraldo

Audioholic Spartan
I like this because it is a testament to the Ukrainian spirit of: Whatever happens, we never give up

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
The titanium in SR71 solely came from Soviet Union :D
I know- I think it's very funny that they supplied the vital material for an aircraft designed to spy on themselves.

I need to organize my old photos and negatives- I got some good ones of the SR-71 when I went to the EAA Fly-In at Oshkosh, Wisconsin, in the '80s.

haraldo

haraldo

Audioholic Spartan
I know- I think it's very funny that they supplied the vital material for an aircraft designed to spy on themselves.

I need to organize my old photos and negatives- I got some good ones of the SR-71 when I went to the EAA Fly-In at Oshkosh, Wisconsin, in the '80s.
I would think a lot of the Titanium comes from a factory outside Zapirizhzhia, my wife is from there.....
Her father worked on the factory, one of the major Titanium plants in that area.... when something went wrong there, it was only one thing to do, run like h#ll; Titanium has a melting point of 3034 °F, so those ovens...... very very scary things :eek:

I can strongly recommend the book "SLED Driver, Flying the world's fastest Jet" by Brian Schul
Immensely nicely written lots of insight info and great photos....

Hard to get though, hardcopy's cost an arm and a leg and some more, some copies floating around the Internet though

M

Mr._Clark

Audioholic Samurai
I'm not sure if the numbers have been confirmed, but I've been seeing reports that Poland has donated 240 tanks to Ukraine.

>>>Poland has sent at least 240 Soviet-style tanks to Ukraine, Polish officials said, a donation that is enough to form two new tank brigades as Ukraine races to rebuff Russia’s advance in the east of the country.

The T-72 tanks were donated in recent weeks alongside self-propelled howitzers, Grad rocket launchers and other Soviet-designed weaponry from the stocks of Poland, which has become Ukraine’s key benefactor within the European Union. While bigger EU countries such as France and Germany were debating the escalatory risks of offering Ukraine much smaller amounts of weaponry, Poland was quietly giving away roughly half its T-72 tanks.<<<

highfigh

highfigh

I would think a lot of the Titanium comes from a factory outside Zapirizhzhia, my wife is from there.....
Her father worked on the factory, one of the major Titanium plants in that area.... when something went wrong there, it was only one thing to do, run like h#ll; Titanium has a melting point of 3034 °F, so those ovens...... very very scary things :eek:

I can strongly recommend the book "SLED Driver, Flying the world's fastest Jet" by Brian Schul
Immensely nicely written lots of insight info and great photos....

Hard to get though, hardcopy's cost an arm and a leg and some more, some copies floating around the Internet though
I have copy of this but haven't read much yet- I had heard of Brian Schul- ever hear about this?

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
I saw something interesting about why so many Russian tanks have blown up. They have a design flaw that leads to catastrophic 'Jack in the box' explosions where the turret is blown off, killing the crew. Russian T-72, T-80 & T-90 tanks have auto-loaders for the main gun that exposes several 125 mm rounds at a time in the turret. A single hit can ignite them all. The US has known about this since the 1991 Iraq war.
This morning I saw yet another article about this Russian tank design flaw, this time in the Washington Post. It had a nice graphic that showed the ammunition carousel directly beneath the tank commander and gunner. If an anti-tank weapon penetrates the thin side armor, those shells cook off killing all three crew members and blowing off the turret. It also compares the T-72 to German and US tanks where the ammunition is stored in a separate armored compartment, protecting the 4-man crew.

1651505755755.png

SithZedi

SithZedi

Audioholic General

The SR 71 is one of the most beautiful airplanes to ever fly. Used to have photos it plastered all over my room as a kid. Amazing piece of engineering using the tech available in the 1950s. They have one in NYC displayed on the Intrepid. They had an ex pilot employed for a while that used to tell great stories about how the fuel would leak out of it when it was at surface airpressure. They had to get the damn thing in the air ASAP.

M

Mr._Clark

Audioholic Samurai
This article suggests that the U.S. may be supplying Ukraine with precision mobile rocket artillery. However, it's very unclear exactly what systems have been (will be?) supplied (the basis is for the "many believe" statement is unclear, so this needs to be taken a with a grain of salt).

>>>In an interview with Ukrainian Pravda, U.S. Under Secretary of State for Political Affairs, Victoria Nuland stated that thanks to U.S. military aid, Ukraine “already has multiple launch rocket systems”, though these had not been specifically listed as part of extended aid packages.

When pressed on the discrepancy, she made it “absolutely clear” that “We already supply MLRS systems. And it wasn’t just us.”

The implication seemingly is that U.S. MRLS transfers had been kept under the table until this interview. Nuland’s reference to “it wasn’t just us” likely refers to confirmed transfers of at least 20 Czech RM-70 systems and at least 20 similar Polish BM-21 rocket launchers.

Though quantity, type, and even presence in Ukraine remain uninformed, many believe [who?] the U.S.-supplied MRLS is the M142 HIMARS, developed as a more deployable lightweight complement to the Army’s 27.5-ton M270 MRLS. Indeed, in an address earlier in April, Pres. Zelensky specifically requested M270s or HIMARS systems. However, it’s also possible Nuland referred to U.S. stocks of Soviet launchers used for training. <<<

MaxInValrico

MaxInValrico

Senior Audioholic
The SR 71 is one of the most beautiful airplanes to ever fly. Used to have photos it plastered all over my room as a kid. Amazing piece of engineering using the tech available in the 1950s. They have one in NYC displayed on the Intrepid. They had an ex pilot employed for a while that used to tell great stories about how the fuel would leak out of it when it was at surface airpressure. They had to get the damn thing in the air ASAP.
SR-71s leaked all over the place when sitting on a tarmac.

highfigh

highfigh

It wasn't the air pressure, it was the fact that the fuel is stored in places where the fuselage expands and contracts, so the joints couldn't be totally rigid and some areas were fluted, to prevent metal fatigue. Here's a fun fact- The SR-71 Blackbirds used approximately 36,000–44,000 pounds of fuel per hour of flight

If you're ever near Dayton, OH, the Wright-Patterson museum has one of the three variants- SR-71, A-12 or a YF-12.

SithZedi

SithZedi

Audioholic General
S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
That's part of why I included her! Criticizing her own governments actions - which I think have been very effective, so far - and carrying water for Putin make it quite appropriate to include her in the group.

Then we have this nonsense:
I don't know what the hell happened to Chomsky. He was always pretty dogmatic, but that is insane. There is hardly a leader in the west more nakedly fascistic than Trump. Dementia is really doing a number on him.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis