Integrated amp or Separates?

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Oh, and some speakers, such as the Wilson's in your example, are just pure torture tests for amplifiers so you really do need a lot of amp that can handle ridiculous impedances and phase angles. So a cheap ratshack amp might well just poop the bed trying to power a pair of those.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
No doubt, as they say, the best warranty is one where you NEVER have to use it at all. It depends on your luck. :D

I lol every time you post that! :p

I did dip back through this thread to refresh my memory and have to say I've had conversations about that AC4L 3 yr warranty since we posted here last. I guess there are some stipulations and fine print in that warranty that might make the process a pain if you ever try to claim it.

It is normally a $75 extended warranty deal you can purchase with everything, but they offer for free from time to time with selected items.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I’m using a Rotel two channel preamp, tone bypassed with the RB-1090. I’ve used the R3 with Yamaha M70 Hafler XL-280, Nakamichi PA-1, Several models of Rotel and Crestron CNAMPX 7x200 (ATI). All very strong amps, but the low end is deeper, tighter, more defined. Transients in tracks like “Fanfare for the Common Man” have more impact, Far more lively sound. It becomes a full tower squished into a bookshelf. Damn fine speaker.

I’ve heard the same with my KEF 107/2, 104/2, JBL L100t, L80T, L7, L5, 4412, RBH T2/r, SV-61/R. All speakers in the same placement. The high dampening factor is really wonderful with the big JBL 12” woofers. My newly restored 107/2 shake my entire home with the right track. Great control. It could just be the quality/nature of this amp. Pipe organ is just crazy on the 107/2. It’s made me rethink my amp choices. I’m not a high volume type of guy, but I shoot for a higher wattage/all channels driven type of amp these days.
You feel that you get better BASS just by changing the amps and nothing else.

I do want high quality amps just like I want high quality everything in life, but I don't feel that amps do much of anything except power the speakers.

However, I will NOT ARGUE on this topic because I think it's simply something we should just agree to disagree. :D

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I lol every time you post that! :p

I did dip back through this thread to refresh my memory and have to say I've had conversations about that AC4L 3 yr warranty since we posted here last. I guess there are some stipulations and fine print in that warranty that might make the process a pain if you ever try to claim it.

It is normally a $75 extended warranty deal you can purchase with everything, but they offer for free from time to time with selected items.
So it's one of those 3rd Party Extended Warranties.

The reason they can offer the 3rd party extended warranty for FREE is because it is USELESS. :D

If the 3rd Party doesn't honor the warranty, then A4L can just say it's not their fault - it is the fault of the 3rd party. :D

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
So it's one of those 3rd Party Extended Warranties.

The reason they can offer the 3rd party extended warranty for FREE is because it is USELESS. :D

If the 3rd Party doesn't honor the warranty, then A4L can just say it's not their fault - it is the fault of the 3rd party. :D
I have no idea how worthless or good it is, but if I were to purchase one (which I wouldn't) and they screwed me over I would be a pretty pissed off customer and people would hear about it.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I have no idea how worthless or good it is, but if I were to purchase one (which I wouldn't) and they screwed me over I would be a pretty pissed off customer and people would hear about it.
The 3rd Party Extended Warranty sold by A4L is called CPS (Consumer Priority Service).

Amazon Customer Reviews on CPS:

Last edited:
Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
The 3rd Party Extended Warranty sold by A4L is called CPS (Consumer Priority Service).

Amazon Customer Reviews on CPS:

I see complaints, but I also see replies from CPS saying they would take care of at least the first couple I read. Pretty messed up if it took complaining to BBB to make it happen tho.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I see complaints, but I also see replies from CPS saying they would take care of at least the first couple I read. Pretty messed up if it took complaining to BBB to make it happen tho.
Did you read the Amazon reviews?

I read a few and got the impression that the REAL reviews are from people who actually filed a claim with CPS and the FAKE reviews are from people who probably never filed a claim. :D

A lot of the Amazon reviews are calling CPS a "SCAM".

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Ohh... that first bad one is rough. Looks like there are plenty of them too.
Yeah, next time somebody wants to buy an CPS warranty from A4L, they need to ask A4L what happens if CPS tries to screw them. :D

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Is that one of those "Look a Gift horse in the Mouth" thing? :D
Well you just successfully demonstrated to me that that warranty isn't as big a perk as I thought it was. Going forward I'll be adding a little disclaimer to my recommendations when mentioning it.

C

crimson76

Audiophyte
Tubes are different. There are measurable and audible differences between some tubes. Aka distortion. Mild, even pleasant sounding distortion, but distortion nonetheless. That accounts for the differences and preferences by some for that tube sound.

Solid state otoh, has a singular goal in mind. Neutrality and transparency. A feat achieved quite a while ago and perfected on over the decades. Today's solid state amplifiers have for the most part pushed any and all distortion so far out of the range of human hearing that the differences are inaudible. Any differences heard would likely be a sign of a malfunction more than anything.

Or just straight up expectation bias or placebo.

More expensive amps do have their allure. They tend to have better aesthetics, have meters, use more exotic materials and offer gobs of power. There's pride of ownership too. They're also made within exacting tolerances and have excellent build quality. I personally love the way McIntosh gear looks and just their overall build quality. They're gorgeous amps and I'd be proud to have one, but I already know it's not going to sound any better than my lowly Monoprice Monolith. They're both going to sound as they should. Neutral and transparent. It's not something to expect a sq upgrade from. That's always in the speakers and room.

all class a/b and d have different types, makes and values of analog components and utilize different designs.. this will result in different sound. some sound open, some a bit more veiled.. some sound thin others slightly `warmer`. some punchy others with muddier upper bass..so on and so forth. the suggestion solid state all sound the same due to measured low distortion `out of the range of human hearing` was a bit interesting to read, atleast to me. even if you are measurement guy, you`ll see obvious differences even in quality gear. those differences equates to different sound, not just level of noise. albeit much more subtle then on tubes

Last edited:

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis