NEW Sony 4k Laser Projectors for 2022!

M

Movie2099

Audioholic General
Sony has just unveiled their new laser projectors that are supposed to drop this summer.

New model numbers are XW5000, XW6000, and XW7000.

Lumens-
5000- comes with 2000 lumens
6000-2500 lumens
7000-3200 lumens

Prices-
5000-$6K
6000-$12K
7000-$28k

If you want to read more about the specs, I have put the link to Audio Advice where they have the breakdown for each projector.

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
I think Sony is REALLY missing out by not including 3D on their cheapest model. This would make those on the fence for $1,000 price difference between the Epson LS12000 and the Sony 5000ES have a significant number move towards the Sony. Not that I can't imagine that a large number won't already head in that direction.

I was a bit shocked when JVC didn't put out a $5Kish laser projector this year. They have had their Blu-Escient laser DLP model in the $3Kish range for a number of years now, and there is no way that dropping a laser into their $5K model would be all that much money.

I am not sure what the sales numbers are for the mid-tier and upper tier models which run over $10,000, but I would think that their least expensive models are outpacing the other two combined. Would be interesting to see some numbers.

Would also have been awesome to hear that Sony was updating the 45ES to a 4K pixel shifter of some sort in the sub-$3K category.

M

Movie2099

Audioholic General
I think Sony is REALLY missing out by not including 3D on their cheapest model. This would make those on the fence for $1,000 price difference between the Epson LS12000 and the Sony 5000ES have a significant number move towards the Sony. Not that I can't imagine that a large number won't already head in that direction.

I was a bit shocked when JVC didn't put out a $5Kish laser projector this year. They have had their Blu-Escient laser DLP model in the $3Kish range for a number of years now, and there is no way that dropping a laser into their $5K model would be all that much money.

I am not sure what the sales numbers are for the mid-tier and upper tier models which run over $10,000, but I would think that their least expensive models are outpacing the other two combined. Would be interesting to see some numbers.

Would also have been awesome to hear that Sony was updating the 45ES to a 4K pixel shifter of some sort in the sub-$3K category.
Things I'm seeing on AVS regarding the Sony projectors are, they ditched 3D after doing market research and found that majority of people didn't watch 3D content. They also didn't include 4k/120 in these projectors at all. Which, to many people nowadays is kind of a big deal. None of these new Sony projectors include HDMI 2.1. Could be a deal breaker for a lot of potential customers. I think the sweet spot for these new Sony projectors is going to the be the 6000 model. And the sweet spot for JVC is the NZ8.

The 5000 is a direct shot at the new Epson 12000. Now that all these new Sony models are all true 4k laser and include the same chipsets that Sony's $80k projector use, I think a lot of people will skip the Epson and jump to the Sony.

JVC has the NP5, which is not laser, but comes with HDMI 2.1 and 4k/120 and has 1900 lumens. That's priced at $6k. That will add some competition.

JVC's HDR tone mapping is by far the best on the market. Sony and Epson have not been able to compete. JVC also has the best blacks on the projector market. Sony said these new 4k lasers should have better blacks. We'll have to wait for side by side comparisons/tests. A good majority of people purchasing the Sony's will be adding Lumagens or MadVR's for the tone mapping.

W

Wardog555

Full Audioholic
I disagree on the point that many people are wanting hdmi 2.1 4k120hz on a projector. What person buying a projector even uses it for only gaming? Nor are there any video sources public that's even released in 4k120hz in the first place!

You buy projectors to watch movies and or tv series/sports. Heck even I could care less about that requirement as I practically never use it myself!

M

Movie2099

Audioholic General
I disagree on the point that many people are wanting hdmi 2.1 4k120hz on a projector. What person buying a projector even uses it for only gaming? Nor are there any video sources public that's even released in 4k120hz in the first place!

You buy projectors to watch movies and or tv series/sports. Heck even I could care less about that requirement as I practically never use it myself!
A lot of people in the home theater community own PS and Xbox systems or run PC's to their projector's. So even if the content isn't there yet, they want the tech to be there.

Which leads to the other reason people want it, because It's New! haha why pay $6k-$30k for a projector if it's not going to have the latest tech on the market? When your $5k and under projectors are including tech that your $6k+ projectors aren't, I think that's a problem. :D

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
A lot of people in the home theater community own PS and Xbox systems or run PC's to their projector's. So even if the content isn't there yet, they want the tech to be there.

Which leads to the other reason people want it, because It's New! haha why pay $6k-$30k for a projector if it's not going to have the latest tech on the market? When your $5k and under projectors are including tech that your $6k+ projectors aren't, I think that's a problem. :D
The reality is that this is still a choice for a lot of buyers. And at least they have a choice.

Sony failing to include certain features, was a choice. People caring or not caring is also a choice.

Epson has delivered greatness for many years from their LCD models, but they've remained LCD projectors. So, people have a choice.

If you want 120hz support with 4K, if you want HDMI 2.1, if you want motorized lens shift, if you want DTM, if you want a motorized lens, if you want the best image, if you want laser...

Then Epson can't deliver, and Sony can't deliver, and you are buying a RS2100 from JVC at the very least, and it isn't going to be $5,000 or $6,000.

At least we have some more choices this year. It will be interesting to see if DLP/Texas Instruments responds in the next 12 months at all with any mid-tier options to compete with the upper tier solutions. I could see a half-4K chip which introduces 120hz 4K support. Maybe. But, for years DLP has been racing to the bottom or the ultra-high end with little greatness in between. A shame because a really good mid-tier chip would stir things up some.

At this point. Epson's upper tier is making a serious stab into what Sony and JVC offers.

But, if a end-user is buying a projector strictly for movie/TV watching, no gaming, and has a 16:9 screen (or motorized A-lens), then these Sony models, especially their entry level 5000ES, will be serious hitters.

Not to mention all those who just go in clueless at Best Buy and get the Sony because it is a Sony so it MUST be a great product.

M

Movie2099

Audioholic General
The reality is that this is still a choice for a lot of buyers. And at least they have a choice.

Sony failing to include certain features, was a choice. People caring or not caring is also a choice.

Epson has delivered greatness for many years from their LCD models, but they've remained LCD projectors. So, people have a choice.

If you want 120hz support with 4K, if you want HDMI 2.1, if you want motorized lens shift, if you want DTM, if you want a motorized lens, if you want the best image, if you want laser...

Then Epson can't deliver, and Sony can't deliver, and you are buying a RS2100 from JVC at the very least, and it isn't going to be $5,000 or $6,000.

At least we have some more choices this year. It will be interesting to see if DLP/Texas Instruments responds in the next 12 months at all with any mid-tier options to compete with the upper tier solutions. I could see a half-4K chip which introduces 120hz 4K support. Maybe. But, for years DLP has been racing to the bottom or the ultra-high end with little greatness in between. A shame because a really good mid-tier chip would stir things up some.

At this point. Epson's upper tier is making a serious stab into what Sony and JVC offers.

But, if a end-user is buying a projector strictly for movie/TV watching, no gaming, and has a 16:9 screen (or motorized A-lens), then these Sony models, especially their entry level 5000ES, will be serious hitters.

Not to mention all those who just go in clueless at Best Buy and get the Sony because it is a Sony so it MUST be a great product.
Having choices is great. With All 3 major players now offering laser projectors. Just going to come down to budget and what you're looking for. I think that $5k range is going to pretty popular. With the new Epson's, Sony and the JVC NP5. Me personally, I don't need 120hz at this moment. Even though I have a new Xbox series X, I'm not playing any games that would require me to have a 120hz.

From what I've been seeing the NZ8 seems to be the sweet spot for a lot of home theater enthusiasts. Just like the NX7 was the sweet spot before it. I think Sony lost a lot of sales when JVC dropped the NX lineup. I didn't really hear a lot about them these last 2+ years. Now with their new lineup I'm sure the Sony fanboys will be ready to pounce!

I've been seeing weird pricing with their "flagship" model the 7000. Here in the US it's going to be priced around $28k I believe, but overseas the price is around $17/$18k? I'm not sure why they're charging around $10k more here in the US? At least that's what I was reading last month when the news dropped. Not sure if that's changed since.

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
This was tempting, but no 3D. Thoughts BMX?

Wemax has Wemax Nova Smart 4K Ultra Short Throw 2100 ANSI Lumen Laser Projector for $2699 - $1499 w/ discount code B12OVA = $1200. Shipping is free.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord

I 100% am waiting on HDMI 2.1 4K 120hz VRR in a projector. I'm probably not going to ever get VRR, but if I upgrade, it's going to have at least HDMI 2.1 and 4k120hz support.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
I was disappointed by this as well. $10k is a hell of a price of entry for laser projection with competitors are pretty far under that. I'd hate to buy a lamp model now only for what I want to be released soonish.

M

Movie2099

Audioholic General
I was disappointed by this as well. $10k is a hell of a price of entry for laser projection with competitors are pretty far under that. I'd hate to buy a lamp model now only for what I want to be released soonish.
I think it's all a timing issue. At the time JVC released their new Laser models, Sony's laser models were $25k+. So JVC pricing it around $10k was a steal. So Sony had to time to reconfigure and add more laser models to the lineup and price them under JVC.

I think you should look into the JVC NP5. Has HDMI 2.1 4k/120hz. Has 1900 lumens and I believe is priced around $6k-$7k. Work with a dealer. You might be able to save a few bucks. It's still bulb based. But that's not a bad thing. Picture will look amazing.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
I think it's all a timing issue. At the time JVC released their new Laser models, Sony's laser models were $25k+. So JVC pricing it around $10k was a steal. So Sony had to time to reconfigure and add more laser models to the lineup and price them under JVC.

I think you should look into the JVC NP5. Has HDMI 2.1 4k/120hz. Has 1900 lumens and I believe is priced around $6k-$7k. Work with a dealer. You might be able to save a few bucks. It's still bulb based. But that's not a bad thing. Picture will look amazing.
I saw that one, but am still waiting. For the life of that PJ the price increase for laser is worth it when the bulbs are $500/ea. Granted I'd have to use them a LOT, but still. I'll keep it at least a decade just like my current PJ.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis