Why Don't Audiophiles Add a TV to their HiFi System?

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
LOL, you aren't a Scot !!
It's in my blood.
I take my scotch neat.
I've tried the splash of water thing, but frankly it loses something here on the other side of the pond.

And once, a long time ago, yes, I let a friend talk me into a scotch and coke.

Once. And never again.
That was before I was experienced at drinking whiskey.

Mikado463

Mikado463

Audioholic Spartan
It's in my blood.
I take my scotch neat.
I've tried the splash of water thing, but frankly it loses something here on the other side of the pond.

And once, a long time ago, yes, I let a friend talk me into a scotch and coke.

Once. And never again.
That was before I was experienced at drinking whiskey.
a few years back while in Scotland and enjoying the 5 distilleries I toured I took note of the tasting rooms as well as some of the local pubs, eye droppers in vessels of spring water. So a wee dram has even a wee'er drop of water ! ;)

jinjuku

jinjuku

I drive my audio system with a Kindle Fire HD tablet. I don't want a large display. I did that with a 48" LCD for a while and just like the convenience of a device with touch inputs.

Big-Q

Big-Q

Junior Audioholic
I have a TV in my two-channel room. I am not sure it makes any difference in sound. The sound I get is awesome regardless. Plus, I can throw in that Rush concert Bluray and it sounds awesome as I watch it.

MalVeauX

MalVeauX

Senior Audioholic
I think of it as a mature hobby (ie, dedicated high end stereo) that most of the participants are likely advanced in age and likely were middle aged before what we consider modern age to be with the advent of today's connected world and streamability of media.

In another 20~30 years, this concept of no GUI display to navigate content for a primo stereo setup will be an archaic past transition period.

Personally I like having a display, but I use a tablet for that and it's wired or wireless depending on what I'm doing. I like being able to sit and thumb through the tablet interface to select the content I want to listen to. No squinting at a TV screen from 8 feet away or something like that. Kind of like holding a book and I can set it down and close my eyes and lean back and the room can be dark, etc.

More and more modern tech will bleed into this hobby as the primary purchasers start to influence the demand and market. There's already movement in that sense with the idea of Streamers, class D tech everywhere, lots of new interfaces that have small displays or interface with a display if you want, etc. And of course, more and more content will no longer be physical media as the median access to internet and lossless audio both stereo and multi-channel is not just an option but will be common and expected. There will always be people who want a retro setup, but the vast majority will be streaming either from a device or via internet.

Very best,

Last edited:
mono-bloc

mono-bloc

Full Audioholic
The reason most people combine there Stereo and HT together in the same room is space. People simply don't have the opportunity or room to separate there systems. In a lot of cases there rooms are totally unsuitable for there system. But they have to make the best, of what they have.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I added video to my systems long ago. I'm a big movie fan as well as music fan, tho and a room that handles both well works for me.

ps somewhat the use of the term audiophile in the article refers to a small subset of actual audiophiles....

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
I added video to my systems long ago. I'm a big movie fan as well as music fan, tho and a room that handles both well works for me.

ps somewhat the use of the term audiophile in the article refers to a small subset of actual audiophiles....
I have added video to all my systems now for 17 years. That makes all systems more versatile. Not having a screen is a significant limitation unless you are unfortunate enough to be blind.

My two channel system is used more often than not with the screen off. However having the screen is very handy.

The two channel rig sounds very good. I use it quite a lot.

Our 3.1 rig in the great room gets a lot of use, almost always with screen time.

The theater is used a lot with and without the screen.

I think it is nonsense that having a screen limits the audio experience. It does not, and that is no credible reason it should.

The 7.2.4 room obviously gives the best sonic experience, with or without picture.

My wife's favorite system is the in wall great room system, as it was designed and built to her exact instructions and specifications. The demand that the system take up zero floor space was not to be transgressed. The system is now well tweaked and sounds very good indeed. My wife has been just thrilled with it. It might be we actually use that system the most. Not sure if that system or the theater has more hours on it than theater, but it well could.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
I would say most audiophiles are adding video displays to their systems nowadays. Only the guys who are so stuck on older physical media are eschewing video displays, since displays would not add much to the experience of vinyl or CDs or whatever.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
The reason most people combine there Stereo and HT together in the same room is space. People simply don't have the opportunity or room to separate there systems. In a lot of cases there rooms are totally unsuitable for there system. But they have to make the best, of what they have.
How big of a space do people need to separate THEIR (not THERE) systems?

What is a suitable-size room?

Last edited:
AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I would say most audiophiles are adding video displays to their systems nowadays. Only the guys who are so stuck on older physical media are eschewing video displays, since displays would not add much to the experience of vinyl or CDs or whatever.
Or maybe they dId not add a beautiful big screen because they ran out of money. :D

MR.MAGOO

MR.MAGOO

Audioholic Field Marshall
Audiophiles love music, not movies, that's why they're AUDIO-philes.

M

mns3dhm

Enthusiast
I've noted that 'celebrity' audiophiles like Steve Guttenberg and John Darko are showing TVs in their listening rooms. Steve seems to cover his TV with a blanket when not in use and John is touting his TV as a streaming device that displays far more readable content than a typical standalone streamer if I'm catching his drift. If you're dead set against it for whatever reason that's fine by me but the dedicated two channel listening room sems to be going the way of the dodo.

GO-NAD!

GO-NAD!

Audioholic Spartan
I would have thought that the number of audiophiles resistant to adding a display to their systems was so small, that an article on the subject wouldn't be worth the effort. I could be wrong though...

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Audiophiles love music, not movies, that's why they're AUDIO-philes.
True. But a music-lover who listens to music everyday of their life can also love other things like Movies, TV, Photography, Drawing, Singing, and other hobbies :D

Nobody ever says that an "audiophile" ONLY loves music and ABSOLUTELY NOTHING ELSE in life!

Mikado463

Mikado463

Audioholic Spartan
True. But a music-lover who listens to music everyday of their life can also love other things like Movies, TV, Photography, Drawing, Singing, and other hobbies :D

Nobody ever says that an "audiophile" ONLY loves music and ABSOLUTELY NOTHING ELSE in life!
and that's why many if not most of us that that have large collections Lp's / CD's have a dedicated two channel set up.
My AV setup (fully capable of playing CD/SACD) is in a completely different room.

regardless, I get the fact that the times they are a changing.......

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
To be fair...
Nothing under 100" diagonal is allowed to be called a home theater.
It's just a TV for most people. :D
I knew you were going to say that. :D

I think (instead of asking "why don't SOME audiophiles add a TV?"), the bigger question is why don't MOST people own a Projector, instead of a TV? :D

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis