Yamaha RX-A2000 No BASS Output ....Please Help!!!

A

ARB

Enthusiast
My Equipment:
Pre-Amp : Yamaha RX-A2000
Power Amp: Emotiva XPA-5
Blu-Ray: Cambridge Audio Azur BD751
Network Player: Cambridge Audio StreamMagic 6
Main Spkrs FR+L: Triton2 / Centre: Definitive Tech/ Surr L+ R : Definitive Tech Pro M 1000
Hi Guys,
This is my first post and I am in need of some advice. My system has not been fiddled with and all was sounding beautiful when I just lost all of my bass. I am using my AV receiver as a pre-amp and 5CH Emotiva power amp. A fever things to mention going through the set up the RX-A2000 I have not made any changes till this point of no bass output. I had the Front L+R set up as Large. Centre + Surround F+R as Small @ 80Hhz.
Surr Back, Front Prescence, Sub 1 and Sub 2 all set to None.
Power Amp Assig as 7 Channel Normal
I now notice that Front speaker option in set up is shaded out and I cannot alter it. Only when I set SUB Woofer 1 or 2 as active does the Front Spkr option show up and will allow me to click on it. It does say Large. This is what it needs to be at as my Tritons each have a 1200W DSP Controlled Digital Amp. Both speakers power up and the Green LED is on solid. I had one of my Triton amps previously replaced. The green LED flashed on and off constantly showing a speaker fault. All Speaker/ comp interconnects are by Emotiva. Is my Yamaha RX-A2000 at fault. I know that it should show Front Spkr in the set up without having to have the sub woofer active to show. Any thoughts on how I can sort this out.
Thank you in advance.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Amp went out in one of the mains? Just a spitball.

L

Leemix

Audioholic General
Usually if not always the front left and right speakers are set/considered Large when there is no sub, not sure if its possible to change that but it is what you have had and need to use if you dont have a sub. Might be something wrong with a speaker again or the AVR, maybe play a frequency sweep so you can hear what is audible and not.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

A

ARB

Enthusiast
Usually if not always the front left and right speakers are set/considered Large when there is no sub, not sure if its possible to change that but it is what you have had and need to use if you dont have a sub. Might be something wrong with a speaker again or the AVR, maybe play a frequency sweep so you can hear what is audible and not.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Thank you Leemix,
I don't really have much other settings to try. It's Small or Large. Large setting will allow the Tritons subs to handle the low frequency. Presently it is as if there is no bass speakers present.

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
Sorry, so misread that one and thought you had separate subs. The Large setting would be correct. You might try setting to Small and connecting from the Sub Outs to the LFE in on the speakers to see what happens. If nothing, well…

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Thanks for your input. You think the Amp is no good.
Lol. Not necessarily. I was just throwing that out there since you said you didn’t change anything.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Thank you Leemix,
I don't really have much other settings to try. It's Small or Large. Large setting will allow the Tritons subs to handle the low frequency. Presently it is as if there is no bass speakers present.
This sort of problem is pretty much impossible to solve at long range. You really need to be there with test gear. I would recommend a hard reset of the Yamaha. If that does not solve it then I would bet there is a hardware problem somewhere.

There is a fundamental problem in that members here do not invest in test gear, except a multimeter.

A

ARB

Enthusiast
This sort of problem is pretty much impossible to solve at long range. You really need to be there with test gear. I would recommend a hard reset of the Yamaha. If that does not solve it then I would bet there is a hardware problem somewhere.

There is a fundamental problem in that members here do not invest in test gear, except a multimeter.
I did a hard reset but the outcome was the same. No test gear other than a few multimeters. I'm not even sure if the AVR will be worth sending in for repair. Apart from it still looking in fairly new condition. Something to consider. Thank you for feedback.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

I did a hard reset but the outcome was the same. No test gear other than a few multimeters. I'm not even sure if the AVR will be worth sending in for repair. Apart from it still looking in fairly new condition. Something to consider. Thank you for feedback.
The problem is that we do not know it is the receiver that is the problem. I have a feeling that for some reason, both the power amps in the speakers have failed, possibly due to a power surge or some other event. What really needs to happen is to connect a signal generator to the LFE inputs and send a low frequency signal to the speakers, and see if there is any output.

It would be really odd for a receiver to loose bass on both left and right channels. So I suspect the speakers more than the receiver.

If the speakers are OK, then receiver needs test tones sent though it an the output looked at on an O-scope.

One thing you could do is to connect your surround speakers to the left and right speaker outputs of the receiver and see, if there is bass coming through. You will need to set sub to no on the receiver. If the sound is properly balanced, then the receiver is OK, but your main speakers are not.

Last edited:
ski2xblack

ski2xblack

Audioholic Field Marshall
You're using DT with active woofers for the L and R? It would be odd for the amps withinthe DTs to simultaneously fry, but given the symptoms, check that too.

For best results with those speakers, you want to run them Large or full range in the AVR, utilize speaker level input, and don't use lfe line level.

Last edited:
A

ARB

Enthusiast
Thank You Guys,
I noticed that the right Triton 2 speakers power was not shutting down. The system is powered off other than it being in standby mode as far as power is concerned. I don't like to just pull the AC power codes from them. I pulled the interconnects from the rear of the speaker and it emitted a loud hum. The hum was steady and constant till I touched either tip of the connector with the interconnect. This has not happened before either. I do know that the speakers green led was on. It is not uncommon for them to come on occasionally but to remain on for long periods of time with system off is not normal. Any idea why its doing this.

A

ARB

Enthusiast
You're using DT with active woofers for the L and R? It would be odd for the amps withinthe DTs to simultaneously fry, but given the symptoms, check that too.

For best results with those speakers, you want to run them Large or full range in the AVR, utilize speaker level input, and don't use lfe line level.
Yes that is exactly how I have them set up. Front L+R in Large in AVR set up and no to both subwoofers 1& 2.

A

ARB

Enthusiast
The problem is that we do not know it is the receiver that is the problem. I have a feeling that for some reason, both the power amps in the speakers have failed, possibly due to a power surge or some other event. What really needs to happen is to connect a signal generator to the LFE inputs and send a low frequency signal to the speakers, and see if there is any output.

It would be really odd for a receiver to loose bass on both left and right channels. So I suspect the speakers more than the receiver.

If the speakers are OK, then receiver needs test tones sent though it an the output looked at on an O-scope.

One thing you could do is to connect your surround speakers to the left and right speaker outputs of the receiver and see, if there is bass coming through. You will need to set sub to no on the receiver. If the sound is properly balanced, then the receiver is OK, but your main speakers are not.
I will hook up the rear speakers to the Front L+R and see what the outcome is.

A

ARB

Enthusiast
So, what was the result?
Yesterday I hooked up just the 2 Tritons to an old Yamaha stereo amplifier. Hooked up my blu-ray playing for source and there was no bass output on the speakers. That is one issue identified. I then hooked up my rear set of speakers as my front L+R in Large. The Front is still saying its not available when Subwoofer is set to no. Playing these speakers in full range it didn't sound like there was any low end to them. Now I have contacted Goldenear for a pair of replacement amplifiers for the Tritons. I have removed the receiver from my system and plan to send it out for repair. I am now debating do I repair it or replace it with the newly released Yamaha RXA4A. Seeing that my Emotiva XPA5 power amplifier is only 5 channels. What are your thoughts on the RXA4A.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Yesterday I hooked up just the 2 Tritons to an old Yamaha stereo amplifier. Hooked up my blu-ray playing for source and there was no bass output on the speakers. That is one issue identified. I then hooked up my rear set of speakers as my front L+R in Large. The Front is still saying its not available when Subwoofer is set to no. Playing these speakers in full range it didn't sound like there was any low end to them. Now I have contacted Goldenear for a pair of replacement amplifiers for the Tritons. I have removed the receiver from my system and plan to send it out for repair. I am now debating do I repair it or replace it with the newly released Yamaha RXA4A. Seeing that my Emotiva XPA5 power amplifier is only 5 channels. What are your thoughts on the RXA4A.
It seems strange to me that two amps and the receiver are all defective at the same time.

Are you sure that replacing those amps is wise? Although those speakers measure well, they are in my view a "Mickey Mouse" design. The fundamental problem is the the amp is powered from a speaker output. I also have integrated main speakers, that also capture the LFE channel. However I used a much more robust and professional design approach. Those speakers could be significantly improved in my view, if you used two power amps and a fourth order electronic crossover at 150 Hz, which is the same order your speakers use. Then connect an amp to the bass section. Take out the low pass section of the passive crossover to the mids and leave the top end of the band pass section and the high pass filter to the tweeter. Then you connect the top end amp, to the top end of the band pass and high pass crossovers. Then build a simple mixer circuit to add the LFE channel to the bass amps.

I'm not really a receiver guy, and use Marantz pre/pros. If you really have had failure of your speaker amps and the receiver, then one or the other blew up the other.
So I would regard this as an unstable situation. Using a speaker output to power an amp, is not an optimal situation. Definitely it is not something I would do personally.

A

ARB

Enthusiast
It seems strange to me that two amps and the receiver are all defective at the same time.

Are you sure that replacing those amps is wise? Although those speakers measure well, they are in my view a "Mickey Mouse" design. The fundamental problem is the the amp is powered from a speaker output. I also have integrated main speakers, that also capture the LFE channel. However I used a much more robust and professional design approach. Those speakers could be significantly improved in my view, if you used two power amps and a fourth order electronic crossover at 150 Hz, which is the same order your speakers use. Then connect an amp to the bass section. Take out the low pass section of the passive crossover to the mids and leave the top end of the band pass section and the high pass filter to the tweeter. Then you connect the top end amp, to the top end of the band pass and high pass crossovers. Then build a simple mixer circuit to add the LFE channel to the bass amps.

I'm not really a receiver guy, and use Marantz pre/pros. If you really have had failure of your speaker amps and the receiver, then one or the other blew up the other.
So I would regard this as an unstable situation. Using a speaker output to power an amp, is not an optimal situation. Definitely it is not something I would do personally.
Thank you for your response. That is quite the suggestion. I have seen your set up. Impressive does not even quite cut it. This is what I have now so I am going to go with it. I am very curious though as to what exactly caused my system to fail the way it did. I am going to replace the amplifiers and replace or repair the AVR. That should get my system up and running again.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis