Is Netflix Crumbling?

F

fmw

Audioholic Ninja
I can't stream thanks to slow, metered internet service but I do miss the original Netflix system of mailing out DVD's with return envelopes. Probably too expensive since they can just send the content electronically. In my experience, doing it the easy cheap way will attract easier and cheaper competition. I miss the old Netflix. My DVD player needs some exercise.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I use netflix a lot for some basic viewing, but that isn't all the time. A few shows here and there and the rest of it I can live without. They have a number of issues - sure, they are buying up the old catalog items that people might want to watch, some day. That's not a sustainable model though. They do create some great new content, but they create 20 POS along side it. They've become the fat lazy cat and now they have no idea what to do.

OF COURSE it wasn't going to just keep going the way it was, duh. So, they just rolled out a price increase and then they say they are going to target PW sharing? The two things that made them what they are and they want to attack them as the problem? "Uh, hey, let's throw some jet fuel on that fire..." If you haven't figured out that you will lose subscribers every time you increase the price, then you got what is coming to you.

DVDs are alive and well at Netflix. My friend still does it because there's no internet in his BFE house.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
No question Musk is a smart businessman, but some of the things he says really make me question what goes through his head sometimes. He's like a late teen who just happens to be a multi-billionaire. I had no idea he had Asperger's.

My current boss worked at SpaceX and he had to interview with Musk and he said he felt Musk was a pretty sharp guy.

jinjuku

jinjuku

Musk's take is not worth much. "Woke mind virus," what a buffoon that guy is.
Then there is the flip side:

"
SpaceX founder Elon Musk steered thousands of Starlink terminals to Ukraine after an official sent him a tweet asking for help keeping the besieged country online.

“The next day [after reports about the Russian jamming effort hit the media], Starlink had slung a line of code and fixed it,” Tremper said. “And suddenly that [Russian jamming attack] was not effective anymore. From [the] EW technologist’s perspective, that is fantastic … and how they did that was eye-watering to me.”

The government, on the other hand, has a “significant timeline to make those types of corrections” as it muddles through analyses of what happened, decides how to fix it and gets a contract in place for the fix.

“We need to be able to have that agility,” Tremper said. “We need to be able to change our electromagnetic posture to be able to change, very dynamically, what we’re trying to do without losing capability along the way.”

"

Interesting dude to say the least.

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
I like AppleTV Plus and HBO max better, but I do watch Netflix too. Ozark and Squid Games have been great. :)

SithZedi

SithZedi

Audioholic General

"
SpaceX founder Elon Musk steered thousands of Starlink terminals to Ukraine after an official sent him a tweet asking for help keeping the besieged country online.

“The next day [after reports about the Russian jamming effort hit the media], Starlink had slung a line of code and fixed it,” Tremper said. “And suddenly that [Russian jamming attack] was not effective anymore. From [the] EW technologist’s perspective, that is fantastic … and how they did that was eye-watering to me.”

The government, on the other hand, has a “significant timeline to make those types of corrections” as it muddles through analyses of what happened, decides how to fix it and gets a contract in place for the fix.

“We need to be able to have that agility,” Tremper said. “We need to be able to change our electromagnetic posture to be able to change, very dynamically, what we’re trying to do without losing capability along the way.”

"

Very much so. He's done more to help the Ukrainians in this war than most Western countries have. But he's trying to buy Twitter so he must be destroyed. Humans are a complex species indeed.

https://www.dailywire.com/news/systems-elon-musk-sent-to-ukraine-giving-them-edge-in-winning-key-aspect-of-war-against-russia-report

jinjuku

jinjuku

Very much so. He's done more to help the Ukrainians in this war than most Western countries have. But he's trying to buy Twitter so he must be destroyed. Humans are a complex species indeed.

https://www.dailywire.com/news/systems-elon-musk-sent-to-ukraine-giving-them-edge-in-winning-key-aspect-of-war-against-russia-report
Still haven't seen a reason why trying to buy Twitter is an issue. Dorsey is more of a concern for me personally. Moderation on a lot of the SM platforms is clearly left leaning.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
So bans will no longer happen on Twitter if Musk purchases the company?
Hard to know, Musk does like to say whatever he wants to when he wants to, and believe he did voice some complaints about bans.....and $43B is like play money these days for him to an extent.....he's ahead on his portfolio these days I think :) so even if $43B is too much, he can afford it.

SithZedi

SithZedi

Audioholic General
If Musk does resort to banning, which would then render him a complete hypocrite, maybe he could start with the Taliban or Ayatollah Khamenei who who are still allowed to use Twitter? Who knows, Musk may believe that it's best to let extremists rave away in the open so we can see them in plain sight.

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/taliban-accounts-twitter/

NINaudio

NINaudio

Audioholic Samurai
I can't stream thanks to slow, metered internet service but I do miss the original Netflix system of mailing out DVD's with return envelopes. Probably too expensive since they can just send the content electronically. In my experience, doing it the easy cheap way will attract easier and cheaper competition. I miss the old Netflix. My DVD player needs some exercise.
They still have a mail based DVD/blu-ray delivery service.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
They still have a mail based DVD/blu-ray delivery service.
Which, for the Netflix 3 disc at a time deal like I have, costs $19.99/mo, whereas my Netflix streaming (HD) costs $15.49/mo.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Just looked at the stock info, P/E is just now reasonable, and the stock was as high as almost 700 in Nov/Dec 21.....

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member

"

"

He has to be given credit for his actions on Ukraine, but if he gains control over Twitter, it will be a field day for the Russian troll farms. Twitter already does a shoddy job of trying to deplatform them. He would destroy twitter, but, to be honest, that might not be the worst thing that could happen.

NINaudio

NINaudio

Audioholic Samurai
Which, for the Netflix 3 disc at a time deal like I have, costs $19.99/mo, whereas my Netflix streaming (HD) costs $15.49/mo.
Yeah, we have the 2 disc at a time option. If I had to choose one, I'd keep the discs, bump it up to 3, and lose the streaming. Too much compression in the picture for my tastes.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Yeah, we have the 2 disc at a time option. If I had to choose one, I'd keep the discs, bump it up to 3, and lose the streaming. Too much compression in the picture for my tastes.
I've found the disc library suffering as of late....and too many are not available as bluray now too. That's just where optical discs are going, tho. My original subscription was for discs (think I'm well over 20 years now, but they don't retain the start date info any more, that I can tell, in my account settings). I resisted the streaming for quite a while actually, until the value of the pricing hit home the last coupla years. I had streaming bandwidth issues with my old internet service so streaming is only really more an option in the last coupla years too now that we have something somewhat more modern (I'd worry about 4k viability now, though). It's sort of the cable thing all over again just shifting delivery somewhat.....

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis