I Need Loudspeaker Recommendations

T

Tysonm

Audiophyte
Hi everyone,
I'm looking for some speaker opinions. First of all, I do plan on moving in the next few years into a large home, so I want something that I most likely won't have to upgrade again. I use my setup mainly for watching movies and gaming. On the rare occasion, I might listen to some music.

Right now I have a 5.1 setup that I plan to start slowly upgrading. Right now my setup is:
Receiver: TSR-7810 (I've been happy with it, so I wouldn't upgrade it for a while)
Towers: 2x Paradigm Monitor 7 V.6
Bookshelves: 2x Paradigm Atom Monitor V.6
Center Channel: Paradigm Monitor CC-190 V.5

Without going into a lot of detail, I'll try to summarize. I swapped my Bookshelves with my Elac Uni-Fi UB5 and I absolutely love them. Now, I actually have to turn my volume down a lot, which is what I want. I don't like having to crank the volume up to hear my speakers. Which is what made me want to start upgrading my setup.
With that being said. Since most of the local stores by my only have entry level speakers to demo. Without having any kind of sound demo with any of these speakers and only going off rave reviews. I obviously want speakers that are going to sound the best and not need to upgrade further in the future.

I was thinking, should I upgrade all my speakers with Elac's or should I get the 2x JBL 590's that are on sale at $400 each right now. Then later on, get the Klipsch 504C (I believe on sale I've seen them around $450), then I would upgrade my bookshelves, but I don't know what I'd get if I went that route or are there other speakers that would out perform that setup for around the same price ranges?

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I think @Eppie might have some helpful insight as he's pretty familiar with Paradigm. As far as I know the speakers you have right now are already pretty good and the others you're looking at would be more or less lateral with regards to quality.

If you prefer the Uni Fi then you already know you like those better so that's probably your safest bet. As far as being able to turn the volume down that's likely because they're more sensitive and don't require as much power for the same position on your volume dial. It's not really an indication of being "better" tho. What you need is a SPL meter so you can level match the 2 speakers for an accurate comparison. Even a slight difference in volume can lead you to a false conclusion.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
So... you didn't mention a subwoofer... whatcha got going on for that?

T

Tysonm

Audiophyte
So... you didn't mention a subwoofer... whatcha got going on for that?
I didn't mention it because I don't use it. My subwoofer has a bad internal amp and I won't get a new one, until I move. Since my house is so close to my neighbors house. When I move into a larger home though. I plan on getting something in the SVS line.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I didn't mention it because I don't use it. My subwoofer has a bad internal amp and I won't get a new one, until I move. Since my house is so close to my neighbors house. When I move into a larger home though. I plan on getting something in the SVS line.
HMM...

Well I don't know how close your neighbors are, but I do live in a residential area. The homes are not connected tho and I have my own lot. I also have 3 big ass subwoofers and no complaints! I do have them dialed in and balanced too tho, so they're not constantly rattling the walls. Only when it's called for. ;)

I went without subs for a long time too, and tbh what I had before wasn't all that great. Plus I didn't do a very good job setting it up so I pretty much just dismissed having a sub altogether because my speakers were okay and I didn't think it would add much. WELL... I let these guys talk me into some big boy subs for my big room and once I got them set up correctly and blended well they just blew me away. It added so much more than I expected, including even making my speakers sound better. They were no longer playing (or trying to play) those lowest frequencies and freed them up to play cleaner and focus on what they do best.

It was like a total system overhaul and I was hearing things I'd never heard before. It wasn't just more boom. It was true, clean textured bass that doesn't call attention to itself and is there to support your speakers while adding texture, depth and weight. I went from "meh, subwoofers" to a pair of 15s and a dual 12 for right behind my seat for nearfield. Sold! Lol. They're all dialed in and balanced with my speakers so they don't blow my windows out every time there's something with bass in it. Only if I want them to.

Yeah, I know I'm waxing poetic and throwing some flowery words around, but I wouldn't have typed all of this up if I didn't truly believe you have an opportunity for a "wow" factor upgrade redirecting your budget toward a decent sub or 2. For me getting appropriate subwoofage was a bigger "wow" than when I upgraded my speakers.

Eppie

Eppie

Audioholic Ninja
The Paradigm Monitors are good starter speakers but there are better things out there now. Audioholics did a round up of $800 bookshelves and your Elac U5 were on that list, so it's not surprising that you like them. Nothing wrong with going with Elacs all around if you like the sound, but there is tremendous value in the JBL 590 right now; $2000 worth of speakers for $800 is hard to beat. I have not heard the 590 but there are several members who have been very happy with their JBL Studios. Nice thing with JBL is that they make some good center speakers as well. If you can wait for a sale or will consider used, I would ask around the forum for a good matching center when you are ready. There are some options better than the 520C.

Paradigm also has the Premier 100B bookshelf in that price range if you like Paradigm's voicing of their speakers. The Premier center is also very good but the price will be higher.

If you go with the JBL 590, you could look on the used market for JBL surrounds to help save up for the center. There are some older JBL bookshelves that still sound very good and make nice surrounds, unless you're set on having the Studios all around.

T

Tysonm

Audiophyte
The Paradigm Monitors are good starter speakers but there are better things out there now. Audioholics did a round up of $800 bookshelves and your Elac U5 were on that list, so it's not surprising that you like them. Nothing wrong with going with Elacs all around if you like the sound, but there is tremendous value in the JBL 590 right now; $2000 worth of speakers for $800 is hard to beat. I have not heard the 590 but there are several members who have been very happy with their JBL Studios. Nice thing with JBL is that they make some good center speakers as well. If you can wait for a sale or will consider used, I would ask around the forum for a good matching center when you are ready. There are some options better than the 520C.

Paradigm also has the Premier 100B bookshelf in that price range if you like Paradigm's voicing of their speakers. The Premier center is also very good but the price will be higher.

If you go with the JBL 590, you could look on the used market for JBL surrounds to help save up for the center. There are some older JBL bookshelves that still sound very good and make nice surrounds, unless you're set on having the Studios all around.
Thank you very much for the advice!! I think I might just pull the trigger on the 590's then.
One other question I have also read about and I'm curious what your knowledge/opinion on it is. Is it ok to mix speakers or is it bad on the receiver or leading to possible shortened receiver life span? For example, Lets say two JBL 590 (6 ohm), with Klipsch 504C (8 Ohm), and lets say two Elac UB5's (4 Ohm).

Eppie

Eppie

Audioholic Ninja
Thank you very much for the advice!! I think I might just pull the trigger on the 590's then.
One other question I have also read about and I'm curious what your knowledge/opinion on it is. Is it ok to mix speakers or is it bad on the receiver or leading to possible shortened receiver life span? For example, Lets say two JBL 590 (6 ohm), with Klipsch 504C (8 Ohm), and lets say two Elac UB5's (4 Ohm).
Short answer is yes it is ok. Speaker impedance is a complex thing in that it varies with frequency. Those speaker impedance ratings are averages and you need to look at the speakers lowest impedance to see if your receiver can handle it. You also need to consider the speaker sensitivity as that determines how much power you need to reach a certain volume. The JBLs are rated at 92dB at 2.83V which is quite efficient so they won't need a lot of power to get loud. Klipsch speakers with horn tweeters also tend to be very efficient.

The Elac UB5 is rated at 85dB and the impedance can go down to 3.4 ohms so they can be a little harder to drive. If your receiver is rated down to 4 ohms though then you should be ok.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord

Do you think the 590s are going to be much of an upgrade compared to adding a subwoofer? I agree that they're amazing speakers at half off, but I've always thought those Paradigms were pretty good too.
Your front 3 are what are recommended to have matching. They're handling the bulk of the load and will be playing the most. If you get the 590s for up front then I'd want a matching center. They do sell one, but it's only a 2 way. I've heard that Infinity has a pretty good center channel that matches well and doesn't cost a fortune. Your surrounds aren't as critical to have matching unless you're listening to a lot of multichannel music.

Do you have any thoughts on my suggestion for a real, tangible "wow" factor sub upgrade..?

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
I'd be concerned with that Klipsch Center.
Their Centers are rife with issues. I wouldn't really recommend the 520 for Center, either, but if you could set up the space, the 530 would be better than either of those two... (Though you will have to get the pair, i'm afraid, or shop for a good center channel that is more nuetral in Sound quality with a good horizontal dispersion.)

T

Tysonm

Audiophyte
Short answer is yes it is ok. Speaker impedance is a complex thing in that it varies with frequency. Those speaker impedance ratings are averages and you need to look at the speakers lowest impedance to see if your receiver can handle it. You also need to consider the speaker sensitivity as that determines how much power you need to reach a certain volume. The JBLs are rated at 92dB at 2.83V which is quite efficient so they won't need a lot of power to get loud. Klipsch speakers with horn tweeters also tend to be very efficient.

The Elac UB5 is rated at 85dB and the impedance can go down to 3.4 ohms so they can be a little harder to drive. If your receiver is rated down to 4 ohms though then you should be ok.
I know my receiver has a '6 OHM MIN' mode. Which people online say, the receiver needs to be in that mode to run 4 Ohm and 6 Ohm speakers. However, if my TSR-7810 is ok running 4 Ohm speakers. Then it's odd for the receiver to say '6 Ohm Min' for the mode? lol. I will just have to dig further into it.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
I also concur that some of what is being discussed is a lateral move.
I'm not familiar with the Paradigm Monitors, but any upgrade should be taking into consideration that the money being spent and the quality of the upgrade is something that will stand up to the time of 5-10 years.

To be fair, the 590s were $1000 each, MSRP. They are discontinuing them for the newer Studio 6 Line that was released a year or two ago only in Asia. I think the 590s might be a hair overpriced at MSRP, but on sale for $400 each are quite an astounding value.

If OP were so inclined, getting three for the Mains and Center would be a very sweet deal and setup.

Regardless, the trick is in ultimately finding something that will satsfy and keep you happy for that 5-10 year range I mentioned. It's sad that intro Speakers are more expensive now, so that stepping up two an intermediate line is almost now like skipping tiers.

T

Tysonm

Audiophyte
I'd be concerned with that Klipsch Center.
Their Centers are rife with issues. I wouldn't really recommend the 520 for Center, either, but if you could set up the space, the 530 would be better than either of those two... (Though you will have to get the pair, i'm afraid, or shop for a good center channel that is more nuetral in Sound quality with a good horizontal dispersion.)
I have only read about what a great Center the 504C is and I also have seen other reviews saying it matches really well with the 590's. I will have to look at other Centers though. Thank you!

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
I know my receiver has a '6 OHM MIN' mode. Which people online say, the receiver needs to be in that mode to run 4 Ohm and 6 Ohm speakers. However, if my TSR-7810 is ok running 4 Ohm speakers. Then it's odd for the receiver to say '6 Ohm Min' for the mode? lol. I will just have to dig further into it.
Flipping that switch actually limits available power.
Period.
That has been covered here at AH many times.
Keep it in 8-ohm mode. Always.

However, if your Amp stage in the AVR is not rated to drive low impedance Speakers, you will need to be careful. Frankly, even Speakers rated at 8-Ohms can see a significant drop in Impedance to below 4 Ohms where the power demands are highest.

T

Tysonm

Audiophyte
Flipping that switch actually limits available power.
Period.
That has been covered here at AH many times.
Keep it in 8-ohm mode. Always.

However, if your Amp stage in the AVR is not rated to drive low impedance Speakers, you will need to be careful. Frankly, even Speakers rated at 8-Ohms can see a significant drop in Impedance to below 4 Ohms where the power demands are highest.
This is very good info. Thank you!

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
I have only read about what a great Center the 504C is and I also have seen other reviews saying it matches really well with the 590's. I will have to look at other Centers though. Thank you!
What you have to understand about that design is that 2-way centers, especially with multiple Mid-Woofs spread out across the front, create what is known as Lobing. This is an interference pattern where the Woofers are actually canceling each other out. as you move across your room, seat to seat, you can pass in and out of these cancellations.
Erin did a great video on Center Channels (And AH has written about this, too).

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I've heard this Infinity RC263 matches pretty well with the 590s. They're both Harman speakers. Plus it's a 3 way center channel, which is a good thing.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I've heard this Infinity RC263 matches pretty well with the 590s. They're both Harman speakers. Plus it's a 3 way center channel, which is a good thing.

Seems to not be available for over a year now, tho. I do like it, use it with my 590s.

Here's the article on the impedance switch https://www.audioholics.com/audio-amplifier/impedance-selector-switch-1

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Seems to not be available for over a year now, tho. I do like it, use it with my 590s.

Here's the article on the impedance switch https://www.audioholics.com/audio-amplifier/impedance-selector-switch-1
Oh is that not in stock? I thought it was. I must be missing some text on that page. Harman sites are wonky with my tablet in night mode. There are blank spots all over the speaker page for JBL too.

*PS, it's probably you who I'm remembering said it was a decent match. I think Kew has recommended them with the 590s as well.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Oh is that not in stock? I thought it was. I must be missing some text on that page. Harman sites are wonky with my tablet in night mode. There are blank spots all over the speaker page for JBL too.
I haven't personally been following it but occasionally, and it's been unavailable since not long after I got mine at least on the Harman/Infinity site, but see comments about non-availability when it is mentioned/recommended fairly regularly.....don't know if its discontinued or a victim of covid logistics, or they just haven't gotten around to bringing more in....I do see an overpriced open box offering on fleabay, tho.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis