JBL L150 crossover issue

I

ifsixwasnin9

Audioholic
I just bought these speakers and one woofer is not getting any current. How do I use a multimeter to find the problem in the crossover?

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
I just bought these speakers and one woofer is not getting any current. How do I use a multimeter to find the problem in the crossover?
Here is the service manual for that speaker.

I suspect a wire has come off. If you put your meter on the +ve speaker terminal of the speaker cabinet and the +ve terminal of the woofer there should be continuity. The negatives should also have continuity. The parallel caps and resistors will not stop continuity to the woofer if they fail. If you find no continuity to the woofer +ve terminal, then check continuity across the inductor. An inductor is very unlikely to fail, that is why I suspect a bad connection.

You should of course disconnect the woofer once and connect a 1.5 volt battery across the woofer terminals to make sure the woofer cone moves in and out as you make and break the circuit. Also check the resistance across the woofer terminals, it should be between six and seven ohms, or thereabouts.

This should be very easy to sort out.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis