JBL Studio 530 and My Grand Atmos Experiment

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Interesting. I have a baby grand in my living room and I've often thought that no speaker in existance would be able to accurately reproduce the sound (in the sense that I think I would have no problem in a blind test determining which was the real piano and which was a speaker). I'm not sure what it is about the sound from a piano that sounds so much different "live" (at least to my ears).

Having said that, when I'm watching Godzilla the sound effects seem to be perfect because I've never had an actual Godzilla in my living room for comparison.
While the Philharmonics may still sound like Speakers somewhere along the line, I would say these have been the absolute closest of anything I've heard to reproducing accurate musical instruments. It would be very interesting indeed to have the ability to go from Performance-Being-Recorded directly to hearing Recorded Performance in the same room, immediately without moving.
;)

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
No worries brother. Just had to rib ya a bit. Figured you’d be posting by now, about how awesome it is, or how much it sucks lol.
Ha.
Nope. Doing what I said and looking for the best angles to create the "Bubble!"

Unless I drop roughly $100 per Speaker to hang them from the Rafters of the Clerestory Ceiling, I have some interesting options.
I have no immediate plans to drop the money on special mounts and 1.5" NPT Tubes, so...

What I am dealing with... previously posted:
Also post 134 and 144 in that thread reveal some more of the room.

IMG_0098.jpg

Fuchsia is an ideal FH
Red is ideal TF
Green is Ideal TM

There is no ideal TB or RH...
These could be the same position.
speaker2.jpg

Blue is the location for that weird one.
My elevated Rears would come off to traditional placement on Stands. (Computer may get relocated (somehow).

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Just for kicks, here is the loft:
IMG_0100.jpg

IMG_0101.jpg

In that second loft photo, you can see some yellow PostIts which are the matching "locations" for FH and TF as seen in the previous post.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
In the end, I can see doing Top Front for certain. If I drop the Rears, then Top Back /Rear Height makes sense. When I upgrade, Top Middle.
Top Front does not make sense in any of this: it is too far away and seems superfluous considering how close it would be to my Top Fronts.

Just to clarify, Top Fronts would be twice the Height of my ears, which is in line with the "bubble recomendations," and at 35º. Pulling back toward 45º creates a mass upon mass conflict with that Rafter.
If I don't Phuck with Fysics, Fysics won't Phuck with me. *fingers crossed

@William Lemmerhirt @Danzilla31 , what say you guys? You are the two most outspoken friends with Atmos steez I know.

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
I was thinking the box is supposed to be drawn around where you sit. That looks like possibly between the red and green dots and the other one between the green and blue dots. Just guessing. I could be off. I bet @William Lemmerhirt can make you a stick man drawing. :)

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
I also like the front and back. Fushia dots may add some width and height but the room feels narrow. Hard to tell from the photo.

Maybe run some long wires and try a few spots without drilling holes like propped up on a couple ladders?

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Maybe tomorrow I can try to sketch in the actual layout on my drawing I was playing with, then post it.

I'm hoping to get to my 6am swim tomorrow, but I fcuked my right should doing some work today. All muscular, Trap and Rhomoids I think.

Anyway, I'm off to bed for my 4:30 alarm. :eek: ;)

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
Get a copy of Ready Player One on Blu-ray if you can. There are several Atmos scenes that are good for testing out the positions. Also the speaker levels. Don’t be afraid to bump them up a few dB. :)

Both the regular Blu-ray and UHD have Atmos.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Get a copy of Ready Player One on Blu-ray if you can. There are several Atmos scenes that are good for testing out the positions. Also the speaker levels. Don’t be afraid to bump them up a few dB. :)

Both the regular Blu-ray and UHD have Atmos.
There's so much stuff I wanna check out it's silly I've waited this long to set it up. :)

K

Kleinst

Senior Audioholic
Also make sure to try and use Dolby Atmos or other format that upmixes so you will get a bubble with any content. If Just Atmos content only they won't do as much. I upmix all the time myself

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
In the end, I can see doing Top Front for certain. If I drop the Rears, then Top Back /Rear Height makes sense. When I upgrade, Top Middle.
Top Front does not make sense in any of this: it is too far away and seems superfluous considering how close it would be to my Top Fronts.

Just to clarify, Top Fronts would be twice the Height of my ears, which is in line with the "bubble recomendations," and at 35º. Pulling back toward 45º creates a mass upon mass conflict with that Rafter.
If I don't Phuck with Fysics, Fysics won't Phuck with me. *fingers crossed

@William Lemmerhirt @Danzilla31 , what say you guys? You are the two most outspoken friends with Atmos steez I know.
It's hard to tell without a pic of the room or a diagram of what your explaining can you post a picture of your room with your main seating position your speaker layout and the distances between each one. It's easier to understand if I can visualize what your saying

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
Okay duh you already posted pics give me a minute to think it through

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
Still a drawing showing where exactly your seating and where all your speakers are exactly and distances would be very helpful. It helps to visualize the angles

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Still a drawing showing where exactly your seating and where all your speakers are exactly and distances would be very helpful. It helps to visualize the angles
Gonna try to play with that later. I started doing work on paper last night (overhead view) and can add in the actual placements of all my speakers pretty easily when I have some time to sit down. ;)

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
Ok
Gonna try to play with that later. I started doing work on paper last night (overhead view) and can add in the actual placements of all my speakers pretty easily when I have some time to sit down. ;)
Ok thanks that combined with your pictures you sent should help plenty to give advice. Love your loft!!!!

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
That's pretty cool!

Wish I had atmos speakers so I could play with it...
Well ya know, it’s the next logical step. Lol. JK of course.

Curious where it put his voice on your system. I haven’t checked it out on my other setups.

Eppie

Eppie

Audioholic Ninja
This has me itching to get front heights installed finally. :D No ATMOS from my AVR tough. ;_;

K

Kleinst

Senior Audioholic
Well ya know, it’s the next logical step. Lol. JK of course.

Curious where it put his voice on your system. I haven’t checked it out on my other setups.
Yes! You should look into some in ceilings and see what it would take. I can't do it downstairs but did it upstairs and they look good and it's nice having them there.

I paid for install so that cost a bit. Speakers really not that expensive when you look at it over the long hall.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis