2022, Current top 5 most competent full range speakers in budget/mid/high-end ranges?

MalVeauX

MalVeauX

Senior Audioholic
Hey all,

It's 2022, what do you all think are the top 5 competent full range speakers in various budget ranges of budget to mid-tier to high-end? Basically the gems of stereo of 2022?

Emphasis on full range, ie, no subwoofer involved. Most likely these will be floor standing speakers or simply larger cabinet speakers (even if a bookshelf class). I would expect the speaker to be able to get close to 30hz or at least 40hz or so without too much struggle, setup well in a room (not trying to expect magic from something at 12~18 feet in a huge room with the speaker nearly flush to a wall, bad stuff) basically optimally placed for this (keeping first SBIR in mind; room treatment can be assumed). Not expecting subwoofer performance, but a mid-tier or high end one should be able to do better of course.

Not sure what we could even call the budget ranges of these, but if anyone has a good idea for that, feel free to help establish a range. I was thinking up to $500~600 or lower as a range for the absolute lowest budget limit for a pair on speakers. Anything over that and up to $2k could be mid-tier maybe as a pair but maybe some options at $1k and $2k? Over that is high-end perhaps? So maybe $2k to $5k as a pair. And anything over $5k per pair or more is pretty much summit-level or another arbitrary word to convey the idea? Not trying to go the range of upwards of those $50k~100k options, unicorn dust and all, trying to keep it fairly reasonable with things that people actually have a chance to audition in real life and not just read about and see pretty pictures and enormous price tags, if that makes sense. Let's assume it's new or available online or in a store as refurbished/used, not just a used market value that not everyone can even access.

Considerations?

Up for argument (pulling from replies):

Ascend Acoustics Sierra Towers (higher end, > $3k)
SVS Ultra Towers (upper mid-tier into higher end, >$2.5k)
Philharmonic BMRs Monitors (mid-tier and into higher end, $1.7k from Dennis to 2.9k from Salk with finish)
Philharmonic BMR Towers (higher end, $3.7k+)
Polk Reserve R700's (mid-tier, $2.2k a pair)
Polk Legends L800's (high end, $6k a pair)
JBL Studio 590's (budget tier when on sale, $800 a pair)
RBH SVTR Towers (high end to summit level $7500 a pair)
RBH SF-8300 (Discontinued?)
Klipsch RF7-III (high end level $4.4k a pair)
Salk SongTower II (high end $2795 a pair)
Salk Song3 (high end $3495 a pair)
Salk Veracity ST (high end $4695 a pair)
Sald Song3-A (high end $4495 a pair)
Salk Veracity HT2-TL (high end $4895 a pair)
Salk Song3 Encore (high end $6295 a pair)
JTR Noesis 215RT (high end $9000 a pair)
Revel F206 (high end $4000 a pair)
PSB Imagine X2T Tower (top end of budget and into low mid-tier $1500 a pair)
Fluance Signature HiFi 3-Way ($850 a pair, budget tier)
Polk XT70 (budget tier, $700 a pair)
Revel F228Be (high end, $11k a pair)
Focal Kanta (high end, $11~12k a pair)
JBL HDI 3800 (high end, $5.5k a pair)
Infinity Reference 263 (budget tier, $400ish a pair, discontinued?)
Triangle Borea BR09 (mid-tier, $1.8k per pair)
Dali Oberon 7 (mid-tier, $1.7k per pair)
Dali Oberon 9 (upper mid-tier, $2.5k per pair)
Canton Vento 90 (high end, $6000 a pair)
Synchrony T600 (high end, $11k a pair)
Adrenal 1723 Towers (upper mid-tier to entry high end, $3.5k a pair)

Very best,

Last edited:
Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I'm super, super happy with my Sierra Towers with the RAAL Ribbon upgrade. -3 dB at 41 hz anechoic and about - 3 dB 34 hz in my room. They clock in around $3300/pr shipped.

You made it clear what you mean by "full range" in your post, but to be nit-picky, technically full range implies bass all the way down into the 20s and not a lot of speakers can do that. My Ultra towers were solid down to that range in room, but those are some pretty beefy towers and the exception in that price range.

MalVeauX

MalVeauX

Senior Audioholic
You made it clear what you mean by "full range" in your post, but to be nit-picky, technically full range implies bass all the way down into the 20s and not a lot of speakers can do that. My Ultra towers were solid down to that range in room, but those are some pretty beefy towers and the exception in that price range.
For sure, a true full range should do that, as mentioned that is expected from mid-tier to high end stuff, but I wouldn't expect that on budget and even some mid-tier stuff, so as to not exclude things strictly. Frankly it should be required for a high end.

But that said, those kinds of gems that can do sub-30hz and still have a great mid range and solid tweeter are the kinds of gems I'm interested to see in various ranges.

Very best,

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
By your definition, the BMR monitors will do you. :)

I agree with Pogre, though. True Full Range speakers need to drop down in the mid 20s, flat, I would say, and anechoic.

BMR towers. That 8” Revelator is a beast of a Driver.
Some Salks will do it iirc. Higher ticket than the BMRs.
Sadly, Selah Audio is no more with Rick’s passing. He had some designs capable of scratching that itch.

MalVeauX

MalVeauX

Senior Audioholic
By your definition, the BMR monitors will do you. :)

I agree with Pogre, though. True Full Range speakers need to drop down in the mid 20s, flat, I would say, and anechoic.

BMR towers. That 8” Revelator is a beast of a Driver.
Some Salks will do it iirc. Higher ticket than the BMRs.
Sadly, Selah Audio is no more with Rick’s passing. He had some designs capable of scratching that itch.
BMR Towers seem like a big contender in the higher end tier, for sure.

I'm curious about the other ranges though.

Very best,

Replicant 7

Replicant 7

Audioholic Samurai
Great thread! Been needing a thread kinda like this, with new speaker lines that just came out and especially since James just tested and reviewed some new lines. Not pitching any one brand because I don't have an agenda. But I do have a few I'd love to have in my setup, but I wasn't expecting Shady J's findings on Polk's Reserve line. Polk audio has been known to put out speakers with some crazy anomaly spec. I believe they measured out better than one of Monitor audio speakers. I'm not knocking Monitor speakers I'm sure there a good sounding speaker line. Now my choice preferred, RBH's new line that's soon to be release this year. Love tower speakers! Always have always will .

Last edited:
MalVeauX

MalVeauX

Senior Audioholic
Great thread! Been needing a thread kinda like this, with new speaker lines that just came out and especially since James just tested and reviewed some new lines. Not a pitching, Polk audio, but I wasn't expecting Shady J's findings on Polk's Reserve line. Polk audio has been known to put out speakers with some crazy anomaly spec. I believe they measured out better than one of Monitor audio speakers. I'm not knocking Monitor speakers I'm sure there a good sounding speaker line. Now my choice preferred, RBH's new line that's soon to be release this year. Love tower speakers! Always have always will .
Yes, the Polk Legends and Reserves have shown to be substantial performers in their price bracket. They get less talk simply because they're Polk Audio and they get a "budget" misnomer just by the name I think.

Polk R700 Reserves are $2.2k a pair.

Polk Legend L800's are $6k a pair.

Both have reviewed so far very well and have been well received. The Reserves seem to be the underdog in that line.

Very best,

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
What is your breakdown of high tier? By price, the BMR Towers are in line with most other non-boutique flagship pricing. Less expensive than many, in fact. Don’t misunderstand, 4000 is not chump change to many of us, myself included! ;)
Regardless, there are easily many products on the market that will eclipse those in price for half or a quarter the performance, and many humans that will say philharmonic is high end sound, but not fit and finish.
I disagree. ;) But then again, I am, admittedly, biased. :p

MalVeauX

MalVeauX

Senior Audioholic
What is your breakdown of high tier? By price, the BMR Towers are in line with most other non-boutique flagship pricing. Less expensive than many, in fact. Don’t misunderstand, 4000 is not chump change to many of us, myself included! ;)
Regardless, there are easily many products on the market that will eclipse those in price for half or a quarter the performance, and many humans that will say philharmonic is high end sound, but not fit and finish.
I disagree. ;) But then again, I am, admittedly, biased. :p
That's the thing, I'm not sure. High end and summit-level stuff seems to have the widest brackets. I was looking to others to see if there's input on what the ranges should be at the moment. I was thinking anything over $2k is creeping into the higher end stuff, just based on what's out there that is available and well-measured and well-regarded. There are gems that of course break into high end brackets for performance for prices that are less than comparable speakers from big-box chains, like Dennis Murphy's stuff. But those are the gems I think.

As you said, $4k is no joke for many people. In the world of audio, especially enthusiast market, things don't get interesting for some people until $4~5k ranges or more. But that's no fun for someone starting out or someone who has a budget of $500~600 or someone with a budget of $1k or $2k or up from there. So that was the idea behind seeing what the consensus might be for different tiers.

Mean while, high end stuff in the $2k~$5k range compete well, but then there are crazy things in the $20k and higher, upwards of $100k or more, so those magnitudes are of course unobtainium for basically everyone who would even bother looking at this thread. So didn't want to get too crazy with that. This isn't just for me, but just kind of a poll for fun of the community. We can't just go audition $100k speakers just any time anywhere of course. So trying to keep it reasonable. Many of the $5k things can be auditioned in home let alone at a location, so its possible or at least more possible to actually hear them and are fairly affordable for someone dedicated since this price range falls in line with most enthusiast hardware that hobbyist would spend in many different hobbies.

The ranges are basically open. I just used what I did to start the conversation.

Very best,

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
By definitions above, mid 30s...

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
If you ask me, 'full-range' sounds to be about 30Hz rather than 20. I feel that you can start to get away without using a sub at a 30Hz extension. Towers with a 40Hz extension don't sound quite as weighty as those that dig down to 30. Below 30Hz, it's all gravy; music rarely digs that deep, and 30Hz manages to capture most movie effects, so I don't feel like a whole lot is lost without bass below that point. To be sure, some movies and some exotic music types do benefit from deeper extension than 30Hz.

MalVeauX

MalVeauX

Senior Audioholic
If you ask me, 'full-range' sounds to be about 30Hz rather than 20. I feel that you can start to get away without using a sub at a 30Hz extension. Towers with a 40Hz extension don't sound quite as weighty as those that dig down to 30. Below 30Hz, it's all gravy; music rarely digs that deep, and 30Hz manages to capture most movie effects, so I don't feel like a whole lot is lost without bass below that point. To be sure, some movies and some exotic music types do benefit from deeper extension than 30Hz.
I agree with that, that was why I initially started in the 30hz range, especially for the ranges below high-end. While I expect a high end speaker meant for full range to do better potentially, it's an enormous jump from $1k to $6k speakers going from a few 5.25~6.5" woofers in a tower cabinet to a cabinet with an 8 inch or even 10 inch driver, so they don't even compare since the prices are magnitudes different and one can do close to 30hz competently while the other can do it with authority and dig deeper even still. But it's definitely true that most content will not be doing a lot of work in the sub-30hz range. That's a relatively new thing to expect and mostly from extremely niche music (natural stuff like an organ) vs popular stuff (synth EDM) and of course cinema (but only new cinema, it wasn't common to find sub-30hz stuff in every single film 30 years ago).

So that 30hz point was mainly to start the discussion, it's of course open for argument such as this.

Very best,

MalVeauX

MalVeauX

Senior Audioholic
By definitions above, mid 30s...
Yea agreed, JBL when on sale, at least this particular series, are solid gems out there. Well received and very affordable and good enough to handle a big room and be competent 2 channel with large drivers and sensitivity to match. Definitely a different level of performance for the $399/each sale price, compared to many other towers in the $400 range per speaker.

Very best,

SithZedi

SithZedi

Audioholic General
Damn Ryan, did not realize the Phil 3's were that large or looked like a couple of Sphinx sitting in the room. They must sound awesome.

I have had a pair of VA Mozarts for @ 9 years that I bought for 2k on sale. The midrange is impressive and they get down to 30Hz on the specs and to my ears do the job in 2 channel but they needed a proper amp.

Am thinking of upgrading in the price ranges mentioned here so am looking forward to researching.

MalVeauX

MalVeauX

Senior Audioholic
I have had a pair of VA Mozarts for @ 9 years that I bought for 2k on sale. The midrange is impressive and they get down to 30Hz on the specs and to my ears do the job in 2 channel but they needed a proper amp.
Are these available commercially still?

Very best,

SithZedi

SithZedi

Audioholic General
Yes they are. The main distributors in North America are Blue Bird.

They are also sold in various higher end audio shops if they are around you. Few remain near me.

MalVeauX

MalVeauX

Senior Audioholic
Yes they are. The main distributors in North America are Blue Bird.

They are also sold in various higher end audio shops if they are around you. Few remain near me.
Thanks; can't seem to find a shop with them. Any links with a price that someone could buy right now? Sorry, not trying to be lazy, just legit couldn't find a place to buy them and wanted to make sure its accessible.

Very best,

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
That's the thing, I'm not sure. High end and summit-level stuff seems to have the widest brackets. I was looking to others to see if there's input on what the ranges should be at the moment. I was thinking anything over $2k is creeping into the higher end stuff, just based on what's out there that is available and well-measured and well-regarded. There are gems that of course break into high end brackets for performance for prices that are less than comparable speakers from big-box chains, like Dennis Murphy's stuff. But those are the gems I think.

As you said, $4k is no joke for many people. In the world of audio, especially enthusiast market, things don't get interesting for some people until $4~5k ranges or more. But that's no fun for someone starting out or someone who has a budget of $500~600 or someone with a budget of $1k or $2k or up from there. So that was the idea behind seeing what the consensus might be for different tiers.

Mean while, high end stuff in the $2k~$5k range compete well, but then there are crazy things in the $20k and higher, upwards of $100k or more, so those magnitudes are of course unobtainium for basically everyone who would even bother looking at this thread. So didn't want to get too crazy with that. This isn't just for me, but just kind of a poll for fun of the community. We can't just go audition $100k speakers just any time anywhere of course. So trying to keep it reasonable. Many of the $5k things can be auditioned in home let alone at a location, so its possible or at least more possible to actually hear them and are fairly affordable for someone dedicated since this price range falls in line with most enthusiast hardware that hobbyist would spend in many different hobbies.

The ranges are basically open. I just used what I did to start the conversation.

Very best,
Mainly asking because of the philosophy behind it. Obviously that becomes a moving goalpost when you go person to person. ;)
When I was shopping in 2018, I didn't want to even go $2k per pair, but the MA Silver 500 ($1275 each) and ML Motion 60 ($1499 each) had me reconsidering. Since then, prices have gone up, and now everything is at least $500-$1000 more for the same "tier."
Knowing that in MA land, you still had the Gold and Platinum... Or KEF going from Q to R to The Reference... and considering the requisite pricing to play at those levels sort of changed my perspective.
;)

Regardless, I remember the Fluance Signature Towers had some praise for a pretty affordable cost. Dunno if they are still available, but they had some extended range as I recall.

WookieGR

WookieGR

Full Audioholic
Just an FYI, the waiting list for BMR Towers may not be available till September.

MalVeauX

MalVeauX

Senior Audioholic
Mainly asking because of the philosophy behind it. Obviously that becomes a moving goalpost when you go person to person. ;)
When I was shopping in 2018, I didn't want to even go $2k per pair, but the MA Silver 500 ($1275 each) and ML Motion 60 ($1499 each) had me reconsidering. Since then, prices have gone up, and now everything is at least $500-$1000 more for the same "tier."
Knowing that in MA land, you still had the Gold and Platinum... Or KEF going from Q to R to The Reference... and considering the requisite pricing to play at those levels sort of changed my perspective.
;)

Regardless, I remember the Fluance Signature Towers had some praise for a pretty affordable cost. Dunno if they are still available, but they had some extended range as I recall.
Yea for sure, good point, as a goal post that keeps moving. I find that to be the case with the upper mid-tier and high-end and summit level stuff, where it just goes from $2k to any number higher than that in a hot second depending on what's popular, what's available and of course market. And there are bands that definitely get the short end of the stick due to one or two influential people (Fluance is a great example of a brand that gets no love despite having good options that are affordable for most people, similar to how Polk prior to just recently really had minimal love despite having some great options). Many others too of course. But that's the idea behind polling it and seeing, what's out there, what has value and at what budget level, for a competent stereo speaker setup.

Very best,

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis