Two New Dual THX Monolith Subs BIG Bada Boom!

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
The tower-style Monolith M-210 dual 10-inch subwoofer ($1,299.99) and M-212 dual 12-inch subwoofer ($1,799.99) provide double the power and double the woofers, without taking up double the floor space. These THX-Certified Ultra subwoofers deliver bass down to 16Hz in rooms of up to 3000 cubic feet.

with a 5 year warranty and 30 day satisfaction guarantee, the Monolith M-210 and M-212 seem like a safe bet to get Big Bada Boom that would make Leloo proud.

monolith-dual.jpg

Read: Monolith M-210 & M-212 THX Ultra 2 Subwoofers Overview

Leeloo-Fifth-Element-Milla-Jovovitch-a.jpg

H

Hetfield

Audioholic Samurai
Dude Monoprice/Monolith is just killing. They really have stepped into the big time. This is an incredible value.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
That explains some of it: new Driver design. Bonkers performance by their numbers!
Curious to know if Claridy (now Intersource OEM?) is still their partner in Subwoofer land?

Nice write up, Jacob.

haraldo

haraldo

Audioholic Spartan
wow, what these guys are doing is just insane, can it be that they are also disrupting part of the DIY scene, almost to the point it´s not worthwhile to build yourself anymore :cool:

If you stack two of the 12 inchers in a stereo sub setup, with total of 8 12" drivers, I guess that would be something :cool:

A

Am_P

Full Audioholic
Dude Monoprice/Monolith is just killing. They really have stepped into the big time. This is an incredible value.
Huh? Het Het Hetty? What "incredible value" are you talking about Hetty?

Huh?
Dual 12 inch - Price = 1549 (250 less than Monoprice)
http://rythmikaudio.com/E22.html

Huuuuh?
Dual opposed 12 inch = 1549 (250 less than Monoprice)
http://rythmikaudio.com/G22.html

Huuuuuuuuuuuh?
Dual 12 inch - Price = 1069 ( 730 less than Monoprice)
http://rythmikaudio.com/L22.html

Get the Het outta here Hetty .....bwaaaaahahahaha

Last edited:
S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member

Huh?
http://rythmikaudio.com/E22.html

Huuuuh?
http://rythmikaudio.com/G22.html

Huuuuuuuuuuuh?

There is more to drivers than just cone size. Those rythmik drivers won't have anything like the linear excursion of the Monolith drivers.

A

Am_P

Full Audioholic
There is more to drivers than just cone size. Those rythmik drivers won't have anything like the linear excursion of the Monolith drivers.
Seems good enough for the price....What part of the listening experience could i miss out on without that extra linear excursion in comparison? (Just trying to get a feel for it)

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Seems good enough for the price....What part of the listening experience could i miss out on without that extra linear excursion in comparison? (Just trying to get a feel for it)
What more linear excursion gives you is more deep bass and cleaner deep bass out to a higher output level. The driver has more room to follow a higher amplitude signal.

A

Am_P

Full Audioholic
What more linear excursion gives you is more deep bass and cleaner deep bass out to a higher output level. The driver has more room to follow a higher amplitude signal.
14 - 90 Hz (-2 dB @ 14 Hz) with LINE IN inputs is the spec i'm seeing on that force balanced Rythmik.....that looks like some deep bass.

Here's the spec i'm seeing on the monoprice....Frequency Response (‑6dB) 16 ~ 200Hz

Peak spl not so sure....but, if the monoprice will hit 110 db (you've seen that CEA 2010 chart) and the Rythmik hit a 100 db....what would i miss out on if my listening levels for music fluctuate between 85 and 95 db.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
14 - 90 Hz (-2 dB @ 14 Hz) with LINE IN inputs is the spec i'm seeing on that force balanced Rythmik.....that looks like some deep bass.

Here's the spec i'm seeing on the monoprice....Frequency Response (‑6dB) 16 ~ 200Hz

Peak spl not so sure....but, if the monoprice will hit 110 db (you've seen that CEA 2010 chart) and the Rythmik hit a 100 db....what would i miss out on if my listening levels for music fluctuate between 85 and 95 db.
Rythmik's response window is pretty much nonsense. Any sub can maintain that kind of response at a low SPL. Raise the levels a bit and compression will certainly change that response. There is a big difference between the Monolith subs and the Rythmik subs; when you raise the levels on the Monolith subs, the response hardly changes, all the way out to the highest drive level. That is mandated by THX which is very strict on compression behavior. For THX certification, the response shape must hold at all drive levels.

As for the headroom versus your listening level, yes, there wouldn't be much of a difference if your sub had enough linear throw to satisfy your desired SPL. Although one advantage that a long linear throw offers is that the moving assembly of the driver stays in a very comfortable zone of operation versus a not-so-long Xmax driver that could be brushing up against distortion products as the motor approaches its limits even if it never surpasses those limits. What is more, the long-throw driver has the potential to last longer since it will never be stressed as hard.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Yup. Good for the price.

Compared to Rhythmik's sealed subs?

Awesome for the price.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord

Huh?

Huuuuh?

Huuuuuuuuuuuh?

Huh?

Considering it would take about 4 of these to equal the output of a single M-212 I don't see where that makes the L22 or any other sealed model even in the same universe for comparison, and certainly not a bargain, bang for buck.

There's a whole lot more to subwoofers than the number and size of drivers...

haraldo

haraldo

Audioholic Spartan
Well .... the twin Monolith Subs are not exactly small in size :confused:

H

Hetfield

Audioholic Samurai
Huh?

Considering it would take about 4 of these to equal the output of a single M-212 I don't see where that makes the L22 or any other sealed model even in the same universe for comparison, and certainly not a bargain, bang for buck.

Save your breath, this person doesn't know that they are talking about. He still thinks expensive cables make a difference. Disqualified for that alone.

WookieGR

WookieGR

Full Audioholic
They just keep getting bigger and badder. My little pea brain wishes they would make a killer 12" sealed sub priced better than SVS's best since I want to buy a sub for a music room. Normally, I build my own stuff but you can never quite nail the surgical precision of a cleanly manufactured look.

A

Am_P

Full Audioholic
Rythmik's response window is pretty much nonsense. Any sub can maintain that kind of response at a low SPL. Raise the levels a bit and compression will certainly change that response. There is a big difference between the Monolith subs and the Rythmik subs; when you raise the levels on the Monolith subs, the response hardly changes, all the way out to the highest drive level. That is mandated by THX which is very strict on compression behavior. For THX certification, the response shape must hold at all drive levels.
Are you referring to the advertising friendly flat response curves on exhibit from the manufacturer? When you put the sub in a room, you are measuring a roller coaster anyways until you go to town with EQ, treatment, whatever.

Hmm, you also seem to overlook the advantages of a force balanced dual opposed design.

You may get around to measuring the G22 at some point in the future and doing a comparison against the Monoprice with the measurements in hand?

A

Am_P

Full Audioholic
Huh?

I know that well and clear....The G22 would be a better competitor. You will notice that here soon as my discussion with shady progresses. I was partly just joking with our good Habibi Hetty on above comment (i live rentfree in her head ).

A

Am_P

Full Audioholic
They just keep getting bigger and badder. My little pea brain wishes they would make a killer 12" sealed sub priced better than SVS's best since I want to buy a sub for a music room. Normally, I build my own stuff but you can never quite nail the surgical precision of a cleanly manufactured look.
I've DIY'd a couple of subs years ago. Price went up and still came out worse while exceeding the cost of some of these recent manufacturer direct offerings. There is a difference between diy'ing for fun and getting something from some of these guys who stay competitive in market.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis