Atmos height/ceiling speakers

M

moreira85

Audioholic Chief
I have a 5.1 in the basement. Rear surrounds consists of svs prime bookshelf speakers. Thinking of adding 2 height speakers. What are your thoughts on going with 2 in-ceiling speakers for this? Clearly the ceiling speakers won’t be svs so they will be a different brand.
or I could add 2 svs prime elevation speakers?

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
As a technicality they’re just called surrounds. Rear surrounds are in a 7.1 system.

I would personally use in ceiling (IC). However using svs prime elevations in a side height position would be a very close second.

M

moreira85

Audioholic Chief
Thanks for the reply. Any advice on in ceiling brands?

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Thanks for the reply. Any advice on in ceiling brands?
I used RSL c34e’s, and at 125ea I think they’re a great value. I also have used Polk rc858i in other rooms and they’re great for budget speakers. Tannoy makes some nice concentric speakers as well. How much do you want to spend?

Last edited:
}Fear_Inoculum{

}Fear_Inoculum{

Senior Audioholic
I used RSL c34e’s, and at 125pr I think they’re a great value. I also have used Polk rc858i in other rooms and they’re great for budget speakers. Tannoy makes some nice concentric speakers as well. How much do you want to spend?
I second the RSL C34E. I just got the MKII myself, and even though I haven't installed them yet I've heard nothing but great things about them. And the price is amazing.

M

moreira85

Audioholic Chief
Maybe $500 for the pair. But I’m all about paying for good quality.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
I second the RSL C34E. I just got the MKII myself, and even though I haven't installed them yet I've heard nothing but great things about them. And the price is amazing.
Curious to see how you like them. I love the Mk1 very much.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Maybe $500 for the pair. But I’m all about paying for good quality.
Oops. I had to make a correction. The RSL are 125ea. Still imo/Ime excellent value with CS that is on par with anyone else if not better.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
That’s great! Make sure you let us know how you like em.

M

moreira85

Audioholic Chief
Will do. For my Yamaha rxA-770 do I hook them up to the surround baCk extra speakers?

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
As a technicality they’re just called surrounds. Rear surrounds are in a 7.1 system.

I would personally use in ceiling (IC). However using svs prime elevations in a side height position would be a very close second.
The SVS elevations can also be mounted on the ceiling as well so if someone doesn't want to cut a hole in there ceiling it's a great option that way too

C

chapp

Audioholic
I have the SVS Prime elevations as my front and rear heights and love the versality of them. Oh, they sound excellent, and you can configure them for Atmos as well as Aurio 3D.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
The SVS elevations can also be mounted on the ceiling as well so if someone doesn't want to cut a hole in there ceiling it's a great option that way too
That’s a good point. I like that svs makes specific ceiling brackets for them. Smart!

M

moreira85

Audioholic Chief
I did come close to getting the svs elevations since i have the prime bookshelves for surrounds in the basement.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Yeah I liked that as well just wish they made a bigger version. I want a bigger woofer I Love me some displacement!!!! :D
Daniel San! Can’t disagree in the least. But since I played spider man and went into my attic and installed my RSL’s I’m not changing soon. Lol. Unless of course I can get an IC with a 12’ woofer in a concentric design lol.

K

Kleinst

Senior Audioholic
Oops. I had to make a correction. The RSL are 125ea. Still imo/Ime excellent value with CS that is on par with anyone else if not better.
I think those RSLs look great. I wanted slightly smaller holes so I got some Canton ceiling speakers from A4less and at that time the RSLs were out I think. But the Canton's sound really great too so no loss there. I considered 8" Cantons but they advised for Atmos content I wouldn't have much difference so settled for 6.5s and they worked for my ceiling. I would agree though to not buying crap if you intend to stay in your house for a while. It's really a small difference over time

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis