Kevin Poirier

Kevin Poirier

Audioholic Intern
Ok all. I would like some direction or things to listen for. I know I have to hear them myself but I need to go to a couple of different locations, so it won’t be side by side. I’m thinking of upgrading my bed layer and going from 5 to 7. I currently have B&W 600 series 2. It was a huge upgrade from what I had and imagining and detail was fantastic. So here is what I’m contemplating on.
1-B&W 700 series
2-Paradigm Premier series
3-Paradigm Founder series
4-Arendal 1723 series
5-SVS Ultras series
6-Kef Q series
Thank you in advance for help, pointers, and help.

Thought I already posted this but forgot and I drove to NH today to listen to some speakers. I listened to Paradigm Founder 100F, B&W 702, KEF R7, and Focal Aria K2 936.
Paradigm sounded the best. B&W were second. Followed by KEF. Did not like the Focal at all.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Kef Q would be a lateral move. You would need to up the Ante to the R Series.

My thoughts would lean toward the Arendals or Founders.If you have the chance to audition Monitor Audio Silvers, they are good Speakers Too.

Kevin Poirier

Kevin Poirier

Audioholic Intern
Kef Q would be a lateral move. You would need to up the Ante to the R Series.

My thoughts would lean toward the Arendals or Founders.If you have the chance to audition Monitor Audio Silvers, they are good Speakers Too.
I did try the R series and liked the B&W and Paradigm better. I did like the founders a little more then the B&W

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
I did try the R series and liked the B&W and Paradigm better. I did like the founders a little more then the B&W
I'm not a huge KEF fan. Not to say they don't sound good, but they aren't for me. That said, I am not into B&W at all. *shrugs.
;)

Cos

Cos

Audioholic Samurai
Unless you have some beefy amps, I would avoid the B&W 700
Paradigm Premier (reviewed well here)
  • Low Price Point, good bang for your $$
  • well reviewed here, very neutral response
  • Basic looking speaker finishes
Paradigm Founder (would be my choice)
  • Beautiful looking speakers (midnight cherry)
  • You hit the sweet spot in the 100F, if you are going to use a center, get the larger model
  • Pretty neutral speaker, but not perfect
Arendal 1723
  • Have not heard myself, but well reviewed and respected on many sites
SVS Ultras
  • Have not heard, a few users on this site have said positive things
Surprised you didn't like the Focals,

I am sure others have input here, good look on your search!

Kevin Poirier

Kevin Poirier

Audioholic Intern
Unless you have some beefy amps, I would avoid the B&W 700
Paradigm Premier (reviewed well here)
  • Low Price Point, good bang for your $$
  • well reviewed here, very neutral response
  • Basic looking speaker finishes
Paradigm Founder (would be my choice)
  • Beautiful looking speakers (midnight cherry)
  • You hit the sweet spot in the 100F, if you are going to use a center, get the larger model
  • Pretty neutral speaker, but not perfect
Arendal 1723
  • Have not heard myself, but well reviewed and respected on many sites
SVS Ultras
  • Have not heard, a few users on this site have said positive things
Surprised you didn't like the Focals,

I am sure others have input here, good look on your search!
I’m running an Emotiva XPA with my 600s. The Focals sound to me was I co pinpoint hat speaker was making the sound and it was staying with the speaker instead of coming into the room where it should of been like the others. If I go with Paradigm, I do plan on going with the 90C.

K

kini

Full Audioholic
Most speakers are going to sound different in your own space. For me in my space my kef q750/q650c provide a very large 3 dimensional sound stage.

So if possible pick the 2 or 3 you like best and try them in your space. You might find things are different.

Kevin Poirier

Kevin Poirier

Audioholic Intern
If I buy the brands I heard. The place allows you to bring the floor models home to try. If I choose to buy them, I’m allowed to hold on to the until mine arrive. Which I think is incredible. I just wish there was an Arendal dealer around, but I did enjoy the service of this dealer. Even though it’s over an hour away. The took time and spent almost 4 hours with me. Asking questions. Matching equipment as close as possible. Changing out speakers, so I wasn't listening in different rooms or equipment. Just this level of service is almost making me consider only what they carry.

Eppie

Eppie

Audioholic Ninja
Surprised too that you didn't like the Focals but sounds like you found something nice in the Founders. I'm hoping to demo them soon as well as I really like my Paradigm Studio 20. I heard some Monitor Audio Gold 200 today and did not like them. The JBL HDI-3600 was really nice though. If in the U.S., the SVS speakers have free returns and Arendal might do the same. I did a detailed write up on my testing today in case you're interested in the things that I look for in a speaker.

Kevin Poirier

Kevin Poirier

Audioholic Intern
Surprised too that you didn't like the Focals but sounds like you found something nice in the Founders. I'm hoping to demo them soon as well as I really like my Paradigm Studio 20. I heard some Monitor Audio Gold 200 today and did not like them. The JBL HDI-3600 was really nice though. If in the U.S., the SVS speakers have free returns and Arendal might do the same. I did a detailed write up on my testing today in case you're interested in the things that I look for in a speaker.
I think I have. I’ve heard from several that SVS would be lateral to my 600s. I might still consider Arendal, but I think when I’m closer to being ready. I’ll take the Paradigms home to try out.

F

fmw

Audioholic Ninja
Ok all. I would like some direction or things to listen for. I know I have to hear them myself but I need to go to a couple of different locations, so it won’t be side by side. I’m thinking of upgrading my bed layer and going from 5 to 7. I currently have B&W 600 series 2. It was a huge upgrade from what I had and imagining and detail was fantastic. So here is what I’m contemplating on.
1-B&W 700 series
4-Arendal 1723 series
5-SVS Ultras series
6-Kef Q series

Thought I already posted this but forgot and I drove to NH today to listen to some speakers. I listened to Paradigm Founder 100F, B&W 702, KEF R7, and Focal Aria K2 936.
Paradigm sounded the best. B&W were second. Followed by KEF. Did not like the Focal at all.
You did it the right way. You found which is best for you before you bought something.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
1-B&W 700 series
4-Arendal 1723 series
5-SVS Ultras series
6-Kef Q series

You seem to prefer speakers with a +5dB Treble Peak on-axis. The B&W +5dB Treble peak is around 10kHz, while the Paradigm +5dB Treble peak is around 15-16kHz. Another brand that has this +5dB treble peak is GoldenEar.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis