Getting That Itch Again...

Shanman

Shanman

Audioholic
I use one of the REL HT-Air units sending LFE from my Denon AVR in the front of the room to a passive Snell sub powered by an Outlaw 2200 mono amp on the back wall of my living room. Zero latency issues, and works off wireless frequencies like a router rather than Bluetooth. If you like reviews, Amir did a review on it and liked the REL transmitter very much. The SVS version did not test so well. I'm super happy with mine, my wife got it for me for maybe a hundred bucks last Father's day. If there were latency issues, your AVR could fix those anyway.
Saved me wiring a 20' run over tile, and gave me the flexibility to move the sub on the back wall to the goldilocks spot.

Last edited:
Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I use one of the REL HT-Air units sending LFE from my Denon AVR in the front of the room to a passive Snell sub powered by an Outlaw 2200 mono amp on the back wall of my living room. Zero latency issues, and works off wireless frequencies like a router rather than Bluetooth. If you like reviews, Amir did a review on it and liked the REL transmitter very much. The SVS version did not test so well. I'm super happy with mine, my wife got it for me for maybe a hundred bucks last Father's day. If there were latency issues, your AVR could fix those anyway.
Saved me wiring a 20' run over tile, and gave me the flexibility to move the sub on the back wall to the goldilocks spot.
That REL unit sounds pretty solid. I'll dig in on that and see if it would work with a pro amp. Thanks for the tip!

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Don't think I've run across a speaker/sub transmitter for wireless using bluetooth, it's generally just radio frequency stuff. Hard to believe it doesn't come with some latency, will check out Amir's review. I do have some wireless Infinity subs (built in receiver, separate transmitter....otherwise I'd be glad to send them to you to play with as I'm not using them except occasionally to add a sub to my deck during nicer weather).

How about just a run of speaker wire/cabling without all the work hiding it (and likely not needing near the length), just to test things out ? A run that long of rca may work, but I'd probably still put the amp in the rack and just run speaker wire to the subs (which is what I do).

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I do have enough cable on hand to splice a couple of pieces together just for a test run.

As I sit here first thing in the morning, on my second cup of coffee, looking around and thinking about it, it's starting to sink in that it might be more than I wanna play with right now, lol. Seems like it might be a cool idea on the surface but I'm remembering all the crap I'll have to drag out and set up... this is an all afternoon project I'm setting myself up for... lol.

SithZedi

SithZedi

Audioholic General
Don't think I've run across a speaker/sub transmitter for wireless using bluetooth, it's generally just radio frequency stuff. Hard to believe it doesn't come with some latency, will check out Amir's review. I do have some wireless Infinity subs (built in receiver, separate transmitter....otherwise I'd be glad to send them to you to play with as I'm not using them except occasionally to add a sub to my deck during nicer weather).

How about just a run of speaker wire/cabling without all the work hiding it (and likely not needing near the length), just to test things out ? A run that long of rca may work, but I'd probably still put the amp in the rack and just run speaker wire to the subs (which is what I do).
Agree on wireless issues. I ran a Martin Logan Dynamo for a time with their wireless function running on 2.4GHz wireless band. Very unreliable so went back to wire. Am curious about the REL performance.

K

Kleinst

Senior Audioholic
I use a wireless for a rear speaker in my living room because I can’t get wire there. I have a monoblock Dayton amp and the SVS wireless kit. It works decently but wired is much better

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I do have enough cable on hand to splice a couple of pieces together just for a test run.

As I sit here first thing in the morning, on my second cup of coffee, looking around and thinking about it, it's starting to sink in that it might be more than I wanna play with right now, lol. Seems like it might be a cool idea on the surface but I'm remembering all the crap I'll have to drag out and set up... this is an all afternoon project I'm setting myself up for... lol.
There is that aspect....and I later realized I think I pretty much posted the same thing earlier in the thread :)

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Is there such a thing as a banana plug to banana plug adapter/connector? I have a couple chunks of terminated cables leftover from when I was bi amping my Ultra towers and a couple of cheap connectors would make splicing enough speaker cable together a cinch and would be a lot better than twisting wires together.

In fact if it works well enough I don't think I'd need to buy any more speaker cable.

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
Agree on wireless issues. I ran a Martin Logan Dynamo for a time with their wireless function running on 2.4GHz wireless band. Very unreliable so went back to wire. Am curious about the REL performance.
How good was your WiFi network in the areas of the transmitter, receiver and your phone/tablet if that's what was used to control the sub? If the network isn't up to scuff, the wheels will fall off pretty quickly.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
And you would prevent them form shorting out, how?

If the wires won't need to be disconnected, I would use Heat N Seal but splices.
Yeah the shorting thing entered my mind too after I posted those, which are also wrong, lol.

I was hoping to find some cheap, simple insulated MTM connectors for banana plugs but doesn't look like there is such a thing. You're right tho, plenty of different cheap insulated options out there in the electrical world for splicing wire safely.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
@Reckel and I have been in a pm and he's managing to achieve very impressive results using some different techniques than I do. He's making me wanna get my stuff out and play so I'm thinking about moving my nearfield sub back again.

I'd just hate to go through all that effort if I were to find out I like it better nearfield.

SithZedi

SithZedi

Audioholic General
How good was your WiFi network in the areas of the transmitter, receiver and your phone/tablet if that's what was used to control the sub? If the network isn't up to scuff, the wheels will fall off pretty quickly.
The network is good. The problem was the Martin Logan transmitter itself and possible interference. I replaced it, but had issues with the new one too so ended up with wire.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
The network is good. The problem was the Martin Logan transmitter itself and possible interference. I replaced it, but had issues with the new one too so ended up with wire.
When I first got my subs I played around with a Rocketfish wireless transmitter and had mixed results. I ended up returning it too. It was a cheaper model tho, less than 50 or 60 bucks.

highfigh

highfigh

What was between the TX and RX?

highfigh

highfigh

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis