Which brand makes the best quality loudspeakers?

Who makes the best speakers

• Aperion Audio

Votes: 22 3.1%
  • Axiom Audio

Votes: 18 2.6%
  • B&W

Votes: 154 22.0%
  • Harman (JBL, Infinity, Revel)

Votes: 155 22.2%
  • Klipsch

Votes: 106 15.2%
  • Martin Logan

Votes: 59 8.4%
  • Paradigm

Votes: 79 11.3%
  • Polk

Votes: 40 5.7%
  • PSB

Votes: 24 3.4%
  • RBH Sound

Votes: 42 6.0%

• Total voters
WookieGR

WookieGR

Full Audioholic
I'm shopping around for a new set of stereo only towers for a listening room I'm about to put together. Was going to get SVS Ultra's prior to my Klipsch buying spree and refuse to buy anymore Klipsch now that I have something like 34 of them in my house. I wanted something different and remembered I was seconds away from getting SVS Ultra Towers back at the beginning. Why oh why are these not on the poll? I thought they were audiophilia enough to be considered excellent for critical music listening.

MaxInValrico

MaxInValrico

Senior Audioholic
I'm shopping around for a new set of stereo only towers for a listening room I'm about to put together. Was going to get SVS Ultra's prior to my Klipsch buying spree and refuse to buy anymore Klipsch now that I have something like 34 of them in my house. I wanted something different and remembered I was seconds away from getting SVS Ultra Towers back at the beginning. Why oh why are these not on the poll? I thought they were audiophilia enough to be considered excellent for critical music listening.
Magnepan LRS (if you can find them), best bang for the buck on the market.

WookieGR

WookieGR

Full Audioholic
Magnepan LRS (if you can find them), best bang for the buck on the market.
I was looking at Magnepan back in 2018 but they were not a good fit for the home theater I was planning. Now, I'm not sure they would work in my listening space which is only 16'x14'. From what I understand, they needs lots of room and placement is critical.

Mikado463

Mikado463

Audioholic Spartan
I was looking at Magnepan back in 2018 but they were not a good fit for the home theater I was planning. Now, I'm not sure they would work in my listening space which is only 16'x14'. From what I understand, they needs lots of room and placement is critical.
the small Maggies I believe would work in your space and yes placement, like all di-poles, is critical as is amplifier capability

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
What's your budget?
Space?
I'll tell you now that the Philharmonic BMR Monitors for a small space or the Towers for a larger space will be one of the best systems you can put together. I honestly have heard very little that compares to the neutrality of these Speakers. No gimmicks attached.
And I'd rather these than e-stats.

I've seen a few in room measurements where the newer BMR Towers are performing down to 20Hz.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
the small Maggies I believe would work in your space and yes placement, like all di-poles, is critical as is amplifier capability
I found a pair on Craigslist, MG-1s I believe, for $100. I don't know enough about Maggies to know if that's a great price or not.

Mikado463

Mikado463

Audioholic Spartan
I found a pair on Craigslist, MG-1s I believe, for $100. I don't know enough about Maggies to know if that's a great price or not.

great price for sure but I would question their condition ?? seems too good to be true !

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
great price for sure but I would question their condition ?? seems too good to be true !
Thats what I'm thinking, but the description is pretty sparse, and when I expand one of the images it looks like there might be a small hole or 2 in the fabric on one of them.

Mikado463

Mikado463

Audioholic Spartan
Thats what I'm thinking, but the description is pretty sparse, and when I expand one of the images it looks like there might be a small hole or 2 in the fabric on one of them.
pet damage perhaps ?

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Give me a new pair of good E-Stats, and I won't complain.
Ask me to pay to put my head in a vice...
No thanks.
:p

Mikado463

Mikado463

Audioholic Spartan
Give me a new pair of good E-Stats, and I won't complain.
Ask me to pay to put my head in a vice...
No thanks.
:p
Modern stats (Logans) are not as bad as you think, now the Sanders stats have a much narrower sweet spot for sure !

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Modern stats (Logans) are not as bad as you think, now the Sanders stats have a much narrower sweet spot for sure !
I've heard some and have experienced the effect...

The Logans I heard were spaced SUPER-WIDE and not indicative of a normal room... talking near on to 18' apart...
They didn't sound bad, but I find it hard to judge them by the setup I was exposed to as it was a shallow room, very wide, but not very deep.
Other E-stats... *shrugs

This is truly a YMMV situation.
Certainly they can sound great, but not for everybody. ;)

SithZedi

SithZedi

Audioholic General
Damn, in my area, the Magnepan LRS are on 30 week backorder.
Have a pair of ML SLMs as back surrounds. They do very well mounted on wall but again that's subjective.

WookieGR

WookieGR

Full Audioholic
What's your budget?
Space?
I'll tell you now that the Philharmonic BMR Monitors for a small space or the Towers for a larger space will be one of the best systems you can put together. I honestly have heard very little that compares to the neutrality of these Speakers. No gimmicks attached.
And I'd rather these than e-stats.

I've seen a few in room measurements where the newer BMR Towers are performing down to 20Hz.
I'm not sure what my budget is exactly. At the moment, I am foolishly trying to source quality equipment from representatives that are willing to participate in the video series I'm about to start producing showing the progress of the 2 channel audiophile room design. I want to showcase products and do reviews from reputable companies that will confidently back their goods. So right now, my budget is zero dollars. I am on a waiting list for Perlisten and have no idea the status or timeframe on those yet. I just assume source my own speakers if they come through. Fluance flat out rejected any possibility of me getting a review sample of their turntables so this gig is getting tougher by the day.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
I'm not sure what my budget is exactly. At the moment, I am foolishly trying to source quality equipment from representatives that are willing to participate in the video series I'm about to start producing showing the progress of the 2 channel audiophile room design. I want to showcase products and do reviews from reputable companies that will confidently back their goods. So right now, my budget is zero dollars. I am on a waiting list for Perlisten and have no idea the status or timeframe on those yet. I just assume source my own speakers if they come through. Fluance flat out rejected any possibility of me getting a review sample of their turntables so this gig is getting tougher by the day.
Good luck getting stuff that way. :)
If you decide to buy, I honestly can't think of better sounding gear than Dennis'.

Mikado463

Mikado463

Audioholic Spartan
The Logans I heard were spaced SUPER-WIDE and not indicative of a normal room... talking near on to 18' apart...
OMG !! :eek:

They didn't sound bad, but I find it hard to judge them by the setup I was exposed to as it was a shallow room, very wide, but not very deep.
again, to my point previously, proper set up is critical. Your description of that set up clearly shows that the owner had no clue what they were doing !

F

fmw

Audioholic Ninja
The best speakers I ever owned were the B&W 802 coupled with a B&W subwoofer. I still have ths subwoofer and I use it in my bedroom. I would say the second best speakers I have owned are the EMP towers I use now in my home theater with a home brew 15" subwoofer. EMP is a brand of RBH so I can check the B&W and RBH boxes. Both of these systems need a touch of subwoofer to fill out the bass. There are many outstanding speaker systems available. Only a few of them are in this list. Pictures of the 802's and EMP towers are below:
bw802.jpg

emptowers.jpg

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Well... Ascend Acoustics just announced possibly the world's first speaker, the Sierra LX, fully optimized from the ground up for world class NFS measurements and they have the gear and R&D department to pull it off!

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis