Considering several options for center, sides and surrounds...need some feedback please

G

gaby95

Audioholic
Hello!
So I have the JBL 590s as Mains. Currently have been testing various options for center ( another 590 is not an option any time soon).
The JBL 520c and 530 were not up to par as a center.
The Klipsch 504c, RC-64 III and RC-7 have been the ones I have tested more now. So far the RC-7 and 504c are at the top.
Still...I am not done testing and after reading more about 3 way centers, I am considering the Monolith and SVS Ultra but then saw the ELAC Uni-Fi 2.0 UC52 reviewed here and that got to the top of my next to test list.
While I sit 12' away and is mainly my wife and I watching movies (thus off-axis performance is less of a concern), I dont mind getting a better center for my money.

But, besides the center, I wanted to improve my sides and surrounds to something that looks less Frankenstein :D
So, I grabbed 4 Klipsch towers KF-28s for sides and surrounds but now I am thinking I am better of with bookshelves so that I place the drivers just above head level so that my wife and I have a clear path to the drivers on the side speakers.

The rears should be fine even with towers as our sofa is low back so it does not block our ears.
So...I could get the matching Klipsch bookshelves for the sides and keep the KF-28 towers for rears. That would be the easiest route of course.
Or, I could just get JBL 530s for sides and surrounds and have an almost all JBL system aside from the center.
My concern with the 530 is that they are kind of hard to drive. I am using a Denon x4400h (the L and R have a separate amp).
Or I could get 530s for sides and 580 for rears and still keep it all JBL.
Of course, getting matching Klipsch for the sides would be easier to drive. Plus, when I say matching JBLs..I guess I mean aesthetically since they wont sound that similar as I have tested the 530 before next to the 590s (and I am not talking about bass only).

And just to provide all info, my Atmos are Polk OWM3s. I wanted to change them to Definitive Technology Promonitor 1000 to get something I can crossover at 80Hz but they are bigger than expected for my ceiling mount so currently trying to figure out if I should bother looking for a mount or just keep the Polks I have already.

Any feedback is appreciated!

PS I ordered the Elac UC52 now ..for $319.0 it was worth trying for sure. Still want to try the Monolith and maybe SVS depending on what suggestions I get here.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I am the kind of person who would always match the entire system. So I say hells no.

Can you mix and match? Others have done it, but most people would disagree.

Will it sound good if you mix and match? Others may say no. But you have to live with it. So only you will know for sure.

G

gaby95

Audioholic
I am the kind of person who would always match the entire system. So I say hells no.

Can you mix and match? Others have done it, but most people would disagree.

Will it sound good if you mix and match? Others may say no. But you have to live with it. So only you will know for sure.
I have been living with it for a while and I dont do multi channel music so I guess that makes it easier to enjoy but I kind would of would like a more similar look aside from similar speakers. Of course unless I do all the same model be it tower or bookshelf, is not going to be identical.

G

gaby95

Audioholic
For side and surrounds and Atmos, you may want to try to keep the same tonal balance ...such as all JBL or all Klipsch ... finding small speakers that can hit 80 hz is rare ... for Atmos have you considered JBL C1Pro
I did but the frequency response seems to be just like what I have already.

Frequency Range (-10 dB)80 Hz to 20 kHz
Frequency Response (± 3 dB)I00 Hz - 18 kHz

So yeah, I was thinking that maybe doing the side and surrounds the exact same model would be nice. Last time I ran identical speakers even for center they were all Acoustic Research and thats probably like 20 years ago. :D

H

Hetfield

Audioholic Samurai
For side and surrounds and Atmos, you may want to try to keep the same tonal balance ...such as all JBL or all Klipsch ... finding small speakers that can hit 80 hz is rare ... for Atmos have you considered JBL C1Pro
Nice suggestion, I should try these and try going back to Atmos. I have an Atmos receiver but don't use Atmos. I also have an all JBL HT. 570 mains, 520C center, 530 surrounds. Sounds fantastic. I had RSL CG3 Atmos for some time but I don't think they were placed correctly and honestly didn't hear a thing. Maybe these will be a better fit and I'll actually hear them.

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
I did but the frequency response seems to be just like what I have already.

Frequency Range (-10 dB)80 Hz to 20 kHz
Frequency Response (± 3 dB)I00 Hz - 18 kHz

So yeah, I was thinking that maybe doing the side and surrounds the exact same model would be nice. Last time I ran identical speakers even for center they were all Acoustic Research and thats probably like 20 years ago. :D
In the real world it is a miracle if the Polk hits anywhere near 100 hz ... the measurements I have seen shows them taking a dive around 150 hz ... small speakers that really can hit low will have low sensitivity or cost some money ... your call

Last edited:
G

gaby95

Audioholic
In the real world it is a miracle if the Polk hits anywhere near 100 hz ... the measurements I seen shows them taking a dive around 150 hz ... small speakers that really can hit low will have low sensitivity or cost some money ... your call
In room at least Audissey is setting them anywhere from 100 to 120 crossover. Still, the Polk performance is irrelevant to the performance of that JBL which was one I considered when I was looking for alternatives. It still wouldnt let me crossover at 80hz as it does not play low either which is the only reason I would consider swapping the polk.
At this point that is 3rd on my priority list though. Center and side/surrounds are the first two I am trying to solve.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
May not be available again but I found the Infinity 263C works well in my 590/580/530 7.1 setup. The 580s have a good sale price going, too.

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
In room at least Audissey is setting them anywhere from 100 to 120 crossover. Still, the Polk performance is irrelevant to the performance of that JBL which was one I considered when I was looking for alternatives. It still wouldnt let me crossover at 80hz as it does not play low either which is the only reason I would consider swapping the polk.
At this point that is 3rd on my priority list though. Center and side/surrounds are the first two I am trying to solve.
It seems you already have a grasp on what you want to do as far as side and surrounds, except making a choice between JBL or Klipsch ... and bookshelves all around can work and give a more even look ... your Denon is not a wimp and has headroom ... but if you are looking to get really loud in your room, then Klipsch may be the way to go ... enjoy your audio journey.

G

gaby95

Audioholic
It seems you already have a grasp on what you want to do as far as side and surrounds, except making a choice between JBL or Klipsch ... and bookshelves all around can work and give a more even look ... your Denon is not a wimp and has headroom ... but if you are looking to get really loud in your room, then Klipsch may be the way to go ... enjoy your audio journey.
Actually that is a good point..I DONT go super loud so perhaps that should allow my Denon to handle even the JBLs without issue. And of course at the current sale prices on JLB they sure make it tempting LOL
If only JBL had a good center it would make my life easier overall :D
Thank you

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis