Is it Time to Dump the Silver Disc?

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
Movie watching has changed over the years. Some people go every day, while others wouldn't be caught dead in a commercial theater. How we watch movies, and how many times poses an interesting question. Is it time to dump the silver disc and embrace streaming? We give our thoughts on the subject.

caddyshack.jpg

Read: How Many Movies Do you Watch More than 5 Times?

SithZedi

SithZedi

Audioholic General
Great thread idea. Vote for keeping anything 'hard' because of current and future censorship.
5 is too very narrow for me depending on mood.
Animal House, Scarface, Godfather 1, Big Lebowski, Night at the Opera.
(Caddyshack, Blazing Saddles, His Girl Friday, 2001, Horse Soldiers, Dr. Strangelove)

NINaudio

NINaudio

Audioholic Samurai
When one considers streaming bit-rates and compression versus the bit-rates and compression on a physical disc I don't see myself giving up physical media anytime soon. There are plenty of movies I'll grab from redbox even though it's available streaming because I'd rather have the higher quality.

Replicant 7

Replicant 7

Audioholic Samurai
I've researched, the 4K disc is where the very best surround track is laid. So I'm not even thinking of giving up on my 4K player Blu-ray disc.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I have no issue with streaming. For some things, where absolute quality isn't needed, streaming is fine. PQ can actually be pretty good streamed, however audio tends to suffer. For those cases where I want the best audio, I buy the 4K disc. That is becoming more rare these days, but I do still buy films that I like.

C

corey

Senior Audioholic
The last time I moved I ripped all my CDs to flac and keep them on my NAS. For movies, I'm concerned about streaming compression. I've got about 300 movies in my collection. If it's a movie I think I'll watch again, I'd rather buy than rent.

Streaming is becoming more and more expensive. Sometime back, you could get Netflix for $120 / year and have access to the majority of movies and TV. Now, to cover the major services you're looking at $1000 / year. Quite a bit more than the cost of a Blu-ray.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
When one considers streaming bit-rates and compression versus the bit-rates and compression on a physical disc I don't see myself giving up physical media anytime soon. There are plenty of movies I'll grab from redbox even though it's available streaming because I'd rather have the higher quality.
Unless it's one of those BS "rental" versions that takes out all the HD audio and special features.

Not cool.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Agree with the cost increases. Streaming is becoming a bit too pricey. They keep saying it is due to adding new content, but not all the content they're adding is interesting to me. I use most of them for light viewing, so I don't always need them spending $200m on developing an Oscar nominee or the next GoT. Hmmm Amazon creates the most expensive show of all time (LoTR) and then raises prices...big surprise. I AM interested in watching that though :D

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
I've got a big movie collection and am one of those that will upgrade my movies if a better sounding release comes out, but mine don't get played. I don't even own a BD player. They get ripped directly to my server and played on various devices around the house.

Works great.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
They use the drug dealer/pharmaceutical company model for business :) Get 'em addicted then stick it to 'em! I still get enough issues with streaming movies I'll still collect my favorites on disc, and hopefully Netflix will continue renting them, too. Streaming music isn't so bad, believe the buffer is sufficient for the lapses in service that video doesn't quite enjoy. I still have optical disc players in each system, tho, and not all my systems are hooked up to the internet for video either. So I won't be giving up my discs for a while. I still buy cds of the stuff I want to have around, too. Going to a movie theater is a long drive, too....and the theaters at the other end are just mediocre, too.

NINaudio

NINaudio

Audioholic Samurai
I've got a big movie collection and am one of those that will upgrade my movies if a better sounding release comes out
I've owned the Crow and Monty Python's Holy Grail on VHS, DVD, and now Blu-Ray.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
No sooner than I said it is too pricey, I received the email from Netflix about raising their price.:mad:

Replicant 7

Replicant 7

Audioholic Samurai
The last time I moved I ripped all my CDs to flac and keep them on my NAS. For movies, I'm concerned about streaming compression. I've got about 300 movies in my collection. If it's a movie I think I'll watch again, I'd rather buy than rent.

Streaming is becoming more and more expensive. Sometime back, you could get Netflix for $120 / year and have access to the majority of movies and TV. Now, to cover the major services you're looking at $1000 / year. Quite a bit more than the cost of a Blu-ray.
Yep, Netflix, 21.88 x 12, $262. A year now Not cheap. You could buy 7, 4K Blu-ray movies. I have OTA tv, but the programming is crap. Get like 20+ channels. It's about as horrible as it gets.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Yep, Netflix, 21.88 x 12, $262. A year now Not cheap. You could buy 7, 4K Blu-ray movies. I have OTA tv, but the programming is crap. Get like 20+ channels. It's about as horrible as it gets.
Still a relative bargain, altho not as great a bargain as it was when they had a bit more of others' content for streaming but gotta pay for that 4k bandwidth I suppose....but renting 3 discs at a time still costs more than my rental plan ($14/mo for my streaming plan - just HD - and $20/mo for 3 discs at a time).

MR.MAGOO

MR.MAGOO

Audioholic Field Marshall
With all these "old fashioned" media I'm not about to go streaming anytime soon.

Screen Shot 2022-03-10 at 12.09.30 PM.png
Screen Shot 2022-03-10 at 12.10.48 PM.png

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis