Matching AVR & Amplifier to Speakers

rjharle

rjharle

Audioholic
Correct.

Audio is a rich vein of consumer products with almost a hundred years of history, similar to jewelry, firearms, cameras/lenses, hamburgers, and all sorts of stuff. It just kind of ended up this way. Money makes the world go 'round.

More expensive parts, better build quality, higher labor costs, all of which makes sense, plus a lot of effort towards brand prestige, etc. The truth is that there really is no direct correlation between cost and performance above a certain level, with many examples of high cost duds, and modern hypex and purifi based amps offering SOTA performance that's down right inexpensive.

It's not quite that simple. That is getting into "all amps sound the same so why doesn't everyone just get a Walmart cheapie" territory. It's just not true that all amps sound the same. What is true is that amps with low distortion, low output impedance, linear response, and operated within their limits tend to be indistinguishable. But there are some wooly amps with high distortion. There are amps with high output impedance (pretty much every tube amp, older gen class d, and a slew of oddballs from the periphery like some Nelson Pass designs), which will not be linear into a varying load (any speaker). Even well damped amps may not be load invariant into reactive, difficult speaker loads. And clipping happens far more often than many folks realize.

Pretty much. That's why we often recommend devoting the bulk of the audio budget towards speakers. It's where the rubber meets the road. After that, clean watts are clean watts, so it's a matter of balancing "too much is just enough" (no clipping, ever!) with "unused power simply goes unused" wastefulness. Unless your room is huge and/or you're an extreme headbanger, the amp you chose seems like it will fall into the "just right" range.
Thank you for the enlightenment. When I get the room decoupled and system hooked up/balanced. I'll seek you out and let you know how it went. Until then, thank you.

ski2xblack

ski2xblack

Audioholic Samurai
And until your speakers arrive, you should dig into the articles here at Audioholics covering system setup, particularly the ones focused on room accoustics that Floyd Toole consulted on, and even Dr. Toole's forum posts here, they're pure gold. That will help you understand how to implement the gear you bought for maximum musical goodness.

rjharle

rjharle

Audioholic
And until your speakers arrive, you should dig into the articles here at Audioholics covering system setup, particularly the ones focused on room accoustics that Floyd Toole consulted on, and even Dr. Toole's forum posts here, they're pure gold. That will help you understand how to implement the gear you bought for maximum musical goodness.
I did do a lot of testing and setup when I first went from 5.1 to 7.2. Attached are the room measurements and my printout of ARC Genesis corrections. I know these will change when I get the new speakers. All of this was done pre-construction of the room decoupling. The one thing that stands out is how little changes (dbs) were made by ARC.

The room after decoupling will be 20' 6" X 13' 2" X 8' enclosed box. Rug floor, Wall surface 2 X 5/8 drywall. When this is complete, I'll run the test again and see what happens. Move around the speakers and test again.

Attachments

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis