Impedance with ohm meter

Boss Daddy

Boss Daddy

Audiophyte
Hi. I want to know if you measure the impedance across your speaker terminals is that the correct impedance. I.e most hifi loudspeakers are considered 8ohm, but if you measure with ohm meter you might get 6.5ohm for example. Reason being if i want to connect two same speakers per side in parallel that make a difference on amp in ohm range. So two 8 ohms will load amp down to 4ohm, but two 6.5 measured will result in 3.1ohm….correct? , and that could cause a problem if out of the amps range.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Not exactly, that is why the spec is "Nominal 8 Ohm" meaning average across its band. Impedance varies with frequency, so it refers to which "common" category a speaker can be classified as: typically 8 or 4 Ohm. 8 being relatively easy to drive by most receivers and 4 Ohm obviously being more difficult to drive. It isn't that simple, since there are more factors, but that's a rule of thumb.

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
Hi. I want to know if you measure the impedance across your speaker terminals is that the correct impedance. I.e most hifi loudspeakers are considered 8ohm, but if you measure with ohm meter you might get 6.5ohm for example. Reason being if i want to connect two same speakers per side in parallel that make a difference on amp in ohm range. So two 8 ohms will load amp down to 4ohm, but two 6.5 measured will result in 3.1ohm….correct? , and that could cause a problem if out of the amps range.
What you measure with a multimeter is the DC resistance of the voice coil of the driver. The nominal impedance is not the same, and it's usually at least 30% higher than the DC resistance. Also, that impedance varies with the frequency fed to the speaker.

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
As j_garcia and Verdinut said, impedance varies with the frequency of the audio signal, which is an AC signal. A reading from a typical volt-ohm meter will give you a single resistance value, which makes sense only if you measure a DC signal. Any audio signal is AC.

Below is an example of a speaker that the manufacturer says is 'nominally 8 ohms'. Much of the range from 100 to 1,000 Hz is under 8 ohms. This is fairly typical of many 2-way loudspeakers.
1645818330034.png

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Also, that impedance varies with the frequency fed to the speaker.
Yup, and just to illustrate this is what a fairly typical speaker's impedance curve can look like.

Klipsch_RF7_II_Impedence_Curve.jpg

You can see it's up and down all over the place depending on frequency. Then there are the phase angles too, of which I have little understanding but it's definitely a factor for how difficult a particular speaker may be to drive.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
As j_garcia said, impedance varies with the frequency of the audio signal, which is an AC signal. A reading from a typical volt-ohm meter will give you a single resistance value, which makes sense only if you measure a DC signal. Any audio signal is AC.

Below is an example of a speaker that the manufacturer says is 'nominally 8 ohms'. Much of the range from 100 to 1,000 Hz is under 8 ohms. This is fairly typical of many 2-way loudspeakers.
View attachment 54176
Ha! We both posted a chart at the same time! Lol

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
In the chart you posted, is the black line impedance, and the green line impedance phase angle? It might help the OP if you point that out.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
In the chart you posted, is the black line impedance, and the green line impedance phase angle? It might help the OP if you point that out.
I was just scratching my head wondering that myself... lol. I just grabbed the first one I saw and didn't see it wasn't specified. Let's assume the green line is phase and black is impedance. What does the phase angle represent? I know that steep phase angles aren't good but I've never really understood what it is.

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
I was just scratching my head wondering that myself... lol. I just grabbed the first one I saw and didn't see it wasn't specified. Let's assume the green line is phase and black is impedance. What does the phase angle represent? I know that steep phase angles aren't good but I've never really understood what it is.
I hoped you wouldn't ask that. It's something I can understand, without being able to explain well. Words fail, but math works.

Audio signals are electrical waves. That means the signal voltage and current are waves – they have both magnitude as well as direction or angle.
1645821327685.png

Both the voltage and current are waves, but their phases are different. Imagine voltage is red and current is blue. At any one point in time, their sine waves are not in phase with each other.
1645820821664.png

Maybe it helps to see this animated illustration:
I'll quit while I'm ahead.

Last edited:
Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
As j_garcia and Verdinut said, impedance varies with the frequency of the audio signal, which is an AC signal. A reading from a typical volt-ohm meter will give you a single resistance value, which makes sense only if you measure a DC signal. Any audio signal is AC.

View attachment 54176

The impedance curve above is that of a 6 ohm driver, it is only 6 ohms around 50 Hz and below 5 ohms at frequencies surrounding 175 Hz. But the manufacturer dares pushing it on the market as an 8 ohm speaker, to sell more to the AVR owners.

Last edited:
vader540is

vader540is

Full Audioholic
I use this

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis