Webb Space Telescope

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I remember being taught in Astronomy that Jupiter was a star that failed.
Its composition is similar to a star but there just isn't nearly enough mass. You'd need a whole bunch of Jupiters' worth of mass to create enough pressure to ignite fusion in the core.

Interesting little factoid, scientists think Jupiter's core is made up of highly compressed liquid metal hydrogen. Almost like a superfluid iirc. I'll bet NIN could correct me if I'm wrong about that.

NINaudio

NINaudio

Audioholic Samurai
Numbers like that, statistics like that just blow my mind, they bend it into a pretzel.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk
And then Jupiter and Saturn make up the bulk of the remaining ~.2%. Jupiter is roughly 315 times the mass of earth.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
The smallest star known has about 7.5% the mass of our sun, Jupiter isn't even close to that.
And that's a brown dwarf, right? Is there fusion happening in the core of a brown dwarf?

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
Jupiter doesn't have enough mass to become a star. As large as Jupiter is, the sun has more than 1,000 times the mass of Jupiter.
There is still lots of time to build more mass. :D

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Yeah, if we want to get technical it's the Siberian tribes that came over the Bering passage 20k years ago (maybe under orders from Putin?).

When i lived in South America in the 90s, they made a discovery in a cave in Chile that they claimed contained evidence of visits from the ancient Jomon culture that originated in Japan 15,000? years ago. The oceans were much lower back then so the trip would have been much easier. History is awesome.
They could have traveled the same way native Americans did 12-15 thousand years ago through Alaska, but they kept on going south.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Numbers like that, statistics like that just blow my mind, they bend it into a pretzel.

Yup. Then there's stuff like this.

079bc931be561bb4c9a18f4690e0f5f5.png

Then there are supermassive black holes that make the largest star look like the sun in comparison. The universe is unimaginably big and thinking about it ties my brain up into pretzel knots too, lol.

SithZedi

SithZedi

Audioholic General
They could have traveled the same way native Americans did 12-15 thousand years ago through Alaska, but they kept on going south.
That's a possiblity. The Jomon were known as an extremely nautical culture so the betting goes they sailed there either directly or skimming the coastline until they got to Chile. Kind of like the Phoenicians were, who many think might have come to the America's @1,300 BC...very cool.

H

Hetfield

Audioholic Samurai

View attachment 54092

Then there are supermassive black holes that make the largest star look like the sun in comparison. The universe is unimaginably big and thinking about it ties my brain up into pretzel knots too, lol.
I mean what can you say. When I watch those shows on the science channel or listen to Neil Degrasse Tyson I'm left looking like this . It's just so incredible and fascinating beyond anything else. It's impossible to truly grasp.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I mean what can you say. When I watch those shows on the science channel or listen to Neil Degrasse Tyson I'm left looking like this . It's just so incredible and fascinating beyond anything else. It's impossible to truly grasp.
Yeah man. It's a trip how massive our sun is compared to the planets, but it's a whole 'nother ball of wax when you realize our sun is just a tiny speck compared to the most massive stars. Then when you think you have your head wrapped around what "big" is, you realize that even the most massive stars are a speck compared to other structures and objects in the universe.

436bbd7829be815b10cfdb35151fbc1a.gif

I really geek out on this stuff and could talk about it all day. I wish I would have taken astronomy courses in school. When it's fun it's not really work and I think I would have done well. As it is I'm really just a dilettante with no real education beyond high school, but the bulk of videos I watch are all astronomy and physics related. I think science fact can sometimes be more fantastic, mind blowing and even weirder than science fiction.

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

... The universe is unimaginably big and thinking about it ties my brain up into pretzel knots too, lol.
Well, I don't think it is infinitely large, so my imagination could go beyond it even though I cannot express it. :D

haraldo

haraldo

Audioholic Spartan
They also had cooler and more reliable boats than the Spanish....
Columbus was supposedly using maps from Vikings on his journey to discover America. What a cheater Christopher Columbus was!

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Well, I don't think it is infinitely large, so my imagination could go beyond it even though I cannot express it. :D
It might be infinitely large. We just don't know what's beyond the observable universe. It could indeed be infinite, or at least so big it might as well be. Unimaginably big. ;)

SithZedi

SithZedi

Audioholic General
Columbus was supposedly using maps from Vikings on his journey to discover America. What a cheater Christopher Columbus was!
He would probably say he was borrowing....
It's a shame most of us were given a "summary" of history in school. There is always a substantial build up of knowledge prior to the main event..
The ancient Greeks already knew the earth was round by 400 BC. That knowledge was inherited from civilizations more ancient than the Greeks(not Hollywood Atlantis or aliens). They did the math too but could not agree on the circumference. Prior to 1492, Columbus had gained his knowledge in various ways. Practical, by working with Portuguese traders going down the coast of West Africa and with Genoese traders who used to go as far as Iceland. Intellectually, by learning Latin and reading ancient texts.
Columbus definitely had read the Almagest which helped inspire him.

highfigh

highfigh

Have you read Hawking's 'A Brief History Of Time'? That's good for some "Uh, wut?" moments.

Eppie

Eppie

Audioholic Ninja
Have you read Hawking's 'A Brief History Of Time'? That's good for some "Uh, wut?" moments.
Love that book. I read it some time ago and there have been quite a few important discoveries since it was first released, so I'm due for a revision. Hawking has a real talent for taking complex scientific theories and relaying them in simple terms that are much easier to understand. I had studied quantum theory in university in the 1980's so it was very interesting to read his approach on the subject.

haraldo

haraldo

Audioholic Spartan
A brief history of time, simply a masterpiece
I can never grasp this one: If the Universe starts contracting, the arrow of time will be reversed and time will be reversed.... :eek:

highfigh

highfigh

Yeah man. It's a trip how massive our sun is compared to the planets, but it's a whole 'nother ball of wax when you realize our sun is just a tiny speck compared to the most massive stars. Then when you think you have your head wrapped around what "big" is, you realize that even the most massive stars are a speck compared to other structures and objects in the universe.

View attachment 54094

I really geek out on this stuff and could talk about it all day. I wish I would have taken astronomy courses in school. When it's fun it's not really work and I think I would have done well. As it is I'm really just a dilettante with no real education beyond high school, but the bulk of videos I watch are all astronomy and physics related. I think science fact can sometimes be more fantastic, mind blowing and even weirder than science fiction.
It's never too late.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis