Looking for an upgrade from Ascend Sierra 1s

D

D Murphy

Full Audioholic
Dennis doesn’t really order in to hold stick. He and his partner take preorders, though sometimes they end up with a few pairs unsold.
@D Murphy … what’s the word on the upcoming delivery… any extras?

to the other question, the S2 is closer to the BMR, but you are comparing a 2-way in the S2 to a 3-way in the BMR. IIRC, the S2 is tuned higher, also.
On the other hand, comparisons have long been made between the BMRs and the Sierra Towers. In that, the BMR will have the edge on near-perfect wide dispersion, but the ST will play louder.
Sorry--I just saw this thread. The latest shipment of BMR monitors and towers will finally be delivered to us tomorrow and Thursday. I may have one or two towers left after cancellations. I do have some of the monitors left. The next shipment arrives in April. That's getting filled up--I think lots of people will be using refund checks for loudspeakers.

emorphien

emorphien

Audioholic General
Thanks everyone for the suggestions, the BMRs are phenomenal and beautiful speakers. I'm sure I'd have been happy with the Sierra 2EX as well, but I'm very happy with these.

emorphien

emorphien

Audioholic General
These speakers were drastically outplaying my sub, just got a Rythmik F12SE in to replace my SVS SB12-NSD and the experience is so much better overall.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
These speakers were drastically outplaying my sub, just got a Rythmik F12SE in to replace my SVS SB12-NSD and the experience is so much better overall.
How do speakers "outplay" a sub?

emorphien

emorphien

Audioholic General
How do speakers "outplay" a sub?
It was a weird way to put it, but the lack of detail or distinctness of notes was less apparent when paired with the Sierra 1s. It wasn't bad by any stretch, but the bass is more distinct now, along with reaching deeper when needed.

The additional fine tuning controls also seem to be helpful.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
It was a weird way to put it, but the lack of detail or distinctness of notes was less apparent when paired with the Sierra 1s. It wasn't bad by any stretch, but the bass is more distinct now, along with reaching deeper when needed.

Sounds more like an integration issue than the sub itself. I just couldn't figure out what you meant and still don't particularly.

ps I've used my Sierra 1s with at least five different subs.

Last edited:
emorphien

emorphien

Audioholic General
Sounds more like an integration issue than the sub itself. I just couldn't figure out what you meant and still don't particularly.

ps I've used my Sierra 1s with at least five different subs.
More than likely the case. The sub just called too much attention to itself and sounded slow in spite of my best efforts in fiddling with the placement and settings. Didn't have as much of an issue with it in our previous house tbh.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
More than likely the case. The sub just called too much attention to itself and sounded slow in spite of my best efforts in fiddling with the placement and settings. Didn't have as much of an issue with it in our previous house tbh.
That doesn't explain much, altho a change in room can be significant for a sub

M

Mpsafranski

Audioholic
Wait to see the pricing for the new RBH UNRIVALED-61 Bookshelf. Also KEF R3 Bookshelf and Legacy Audio Studio HD.
Can’t wait to see what they have coming. Excited to hear what my ascend towers sound like in the new house, yet after two years with them I’m kinda sorta wanting to upgrade. Have had my eye on the newer Revels but RBHs reputation precedes them. The new MA silver floorstanders in a lower price range also look nice after checking out the measurements done on another site

M

Mr._Clark

Audioholic Samurai

I may have a somewhat similar situation. I have BMRs and a pair of Hsu ULS-15 MK2s for one of my systems (I went with sealed subs primarily because there isn't room for large ported subs in my room).

So far I have not been able to get the crossover quite right. It really has me befuddled. One of these days I need to take the time to run some measurements so I can figure out exactly what is going on.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis