New Wilsons........gulp

Mikado463

Mikado463

Audioholic Spartan
but Wilsons do not justify their price, obviously. No sound system could at that price,
one could say that about a lot of things in life but I agree, they do shed serious light on the laws of diminishing returns :)

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
one could say that about a lot of things in life but I agree, they do shed serious light on the laws of diminishing returns :)
By past experience it is more likely the speakers are diminished and not the returns.

Mikado463

Mikado463

Audioholic Spartan
By past experience it is more likely the speakers are diminished and not the returns.
that too is the funny thing, safe to say NONE of us here have heard these speakers so we are all rushing to judgement based on past experience. I know Shady has harped on Wilsons 'poor measurements' and I won't argue but I have in the past been quite pleased from what I've 'heard' from some of their lesser offerings. Granted, often closing my eyes was a help ;)

highfigh

highfigh

I have heard worse speakers, but Wilsons do not justify their price, obviously. No sound system could at that price, unless you were outfitting a stadium. But of course, Wilson has nothing to do with sound reproduction, they are purely a status symbol. They are decadent garbage.
A stadium system would cost a lot more than $1.5M and it wouldn't fit in most houses. However, it would be 'the real thing' if someone wants that live music experience as long as it's designed correctly.

I worked for an AV contractor in the late-'90s and one day, I saw a pair of JBL commercial speakers in the manager's office, playing softly. I asked if I could put a CD in the player and it was a live show- darned if it didn't actually sound like a live show. It had something I have never heard from consumer speakers, before or since. It was mostly the sound of the drums- that's not always easy to get right.

highfigh

highfigh

It even has a crank on the side!

Nice L-pad (at the top)- what do you think, Cal-Rad? Cheap import?

Interesting cosmetics, in a weird 'take me to your leader' way. Industrial design for the 2020s, eh?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
that too is the funny thing, safe to say NONE of us here have heard these speakers so we are all rushing to judgement based on past experience. I know Shady has harped on Wilsons 'poor measurements' and I won't argue but I have in the past been quite pleased from what I've 'heard' from some of their lesser offerings. Granted, often closing my eyes was a help ;)
I've heard no Wilsons, never seen one live at all. I've seen quite a few negative comments from people with trusted opinions about the actual performance of Wilsons. They have a certain look which doesn't appeal to me at all and there's seemingly no justification for their price except for Wilson's sake....I wouldn't go out of my way even if I had a loose coupla million in cash in my pocket and didn't care particularly how I spent it....Wilsons wouldn't even be a fart.

davidscott

davidscott

Audioholic Spartan
I never heard or saw any Wilsons but at their price they better be able to move mountains. i guess if I was a multi-millionaire, I might consider them. Reminds me of the big Infinity RS systems back in the early 80s (which I did hear). It's all about how much better they are than affordable but really good speakers.

Mikado463

Mikado463

Audioholic Spartan
I never heard or saw any Wilsons but at their price they better be able to move mountains. i guess if I was a multi-millionaire, I might consider them. Reminds me of the big Infinity RS systems back in the early 80s (which I did hear). It's all about how much better they are than affordable but really good speakers.
point taken David, I'm lucky enough to live within a half hour of one of the finest Audio salons in the country (Overture Audio, Wilmington, De) so over the years I've gotten to listen to the highest of 'high end' and every time I do it further re-enforces my humble set up that I've put together.

if your toes are tappin' and you're smiling to the music, that's all that matters !

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis