Speaker Impedance Question

Cos

Cos

Audioholic Samurai
My buddy has a pair of B&W 603 S2 towers hat is he driving with a very old HK receiver (I do not have the model number).

I remembered someone mentioning that B&W speakers are difficult to drive with a receiver due to a large dip down below 4-ohm. The only measurement I could find was the original 603 towers on this site.

My question if the the dip happens between 60-80hz, would using a powered subwoofer with the crossover set 80hz take the stress off the receiver because the subwoofer is doing the work?

My buddy only uses the receiver for his extensive vinyl collection.

I apologize for my ignorance, but I didn't want to give my buddy advice on something I am not educated on.

Impedance .jpeg

Last edited:
TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
My buddy has a pair of B&W 603 S2 towers hat is he driving with a very old HK receiver (I do not have the model number).

I remembered someone mentioning that B&W speakers are difficult to drive with a receiver due to a large dip down below 4-ohm. The only measurement I could find was the original 603 towers on this site.

My question if the the dip happens between 60-80hz, would using a powered subwoofer with the crossover set 80hz take the stress off the receiver because the subwoofer is doing the work?

My buddy only uses the receiver for his extensive vinyl collection.

I apologize for my ignorance, but I didn't want to give my buddy advice on something I am not educated on.

View attachment 53631
The answer is yes.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
If its a very old receiver from HK, is it just two channel (and probably has no bass management) or just an old avr from HK that has bass management?

McC

McC

Audioholic Intern
Look on the back of the receiver near the speaker connections. There's usually something stating an acceptable impedance rating for the speakers. If it says something like 8 -16 Ohms, then a 4 ohms speaker will risk damaging the receiver. It might say something like 6 - 8 Ohms, in which case a 4 Ohms load might still be too low. If it specifically includes a 4 Ohms rating you should be fine and have no issues with the impedance you showed.

Cos

Cos

Audioholic Samurai
If its a very old receiver from HK, is it just two channel (and probably has no bass management) or just an old avr from HK that has bass management?

It's old, I will check with him when on Monday, but I believe it's multichannel, he got it when he was a Manager at Circuit City...yes that old ;).

Last edited:
highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
It's old, I will check with him when on Monday, but I believe it's multichannel, he got it when he was a Manager at Circuit City...yes that old ;).
So, not terribly old. I have a Sony stereo receiver from 1978 (garage) and a Fischer from the early-'70s (basement work area) driving speakers from the same vintage but I wouldn't use these receivers for speakers that have a tendency to hit the 4 Ohm range.

Some HK receivers were able to drive difficult loads, but they ran very hot. As recommended- check the back or read the manual and look for a warning about impedance.

Cos

Cos

Audioholic Samurai
He has an HK AVR300

Found the manual online, if sub is connected it defaults to sending everyone 100hz and under to the subwoofer, so no adjustments possible.

The amp is only 60w into 2 channels, so not sure if that is enough juice.

McC

McC

Audioholic Intern
Since it is only rated into an 8 Ohms load I would be reluctant to use it with speakers rated at 4 Ohms.

1644199225300.png

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Depends on listening habits. Too bad it doesn't have adjustable bass management....

Cos

Cos

Audioholic Samurai
The 603 s2 are rated at 8ohms(3ohms minimum) since the subwoofer will be taking over anything under 100hz it should be fine for now. I advised him to consider upgrading. He needs a subwoofer regardless, so that will be step one for him.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I think if he keeps the volume knob under reasonable control he won't have any particular issues. I'd upgrade the speakers rather than amp, tho.

Cos

Cos

Audioholic Samurai
I agree, but he just bought those speakers, so that is not happening. I advised against them and told him to get the Paradigm Premier at that price point, but they were not in stock. He is happy with the sound.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I agree, but he just bought those speakers, so that is not happening. I advised against them and told him to get the Paradigm Premier at that price point, but they were not in stock. He is happy with the sound.
Then again if the current avr works for him, he's good. Wouldn't work for me but that's a different situation :)

McC

McC

Audioholic Intern
Aged PS caps may not be up to supplying the original current into a lower than rated impedance. May be fine at lower volumes with an active HP x-over, but I'd still be cautious.

Cos

Cos

Audioholic Samurai
He has had the speakers for a while and using it, wife said it's lacking bass punch. He only uses it to listen to records, so it may be fine for them

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
What is he comparing "lack of bass punch" to? That's so vague and interpreted with various gear in so many ways....

Cos

Cos

Audioholic Samurai
What is he comparing "lack of bass punch" to? That's so vague and interpreted with various gear in so many ways....
Agree, but that is coming from a person who just listens to music and does not have a vested interest in the tech or graphs, so will have to quantify in some way.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis