Panasonic DP-UB820 with a broken browser

rjharle

rjharle

Audioholic
I have a Panasonic DP-UB820 with a broken browser. I try to use the default browser installed on the player and whenever I try to download an app it crashes. Furthermore, I can't get a new browser because I need a browser to get a browser. Is there a way to install a browser like Chrome without going through the existing default browser?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Never heard of someone doing something like trying to change the operation system of a player like that. Have you tried a factory reset of the unit? Out of warranty?

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
I have a Panasonic DP-UB820 with a broken browser. I try to use the default browser installed on the player and whenever I try to download an app it crashes. Furthermore, I can't get a new browser because I need a browser to get a browser. Is there a way to install a browser like Chrome without going through the existing default browser?
First is your firmware up to date? Did you by any chance do a firmware update via wi-Fi connection? If so there may have been an interruption. NEVER do firmware updates on anything via Wi-Fi only via very secure and dependable wired connection.

There does not seem to be a way of doing a total system reset on that unit, only getting settings back to default.

Since you have trouble getting to the Net, I would download the latest firmware on a USB stick, and update the firmware from that. If that does not do the trick, then I have nothing else to suggest.

I would say, that players are far from the optimal streaming devices, and should be a last resort. I regard disc players as just that.

rjharle

rjharle

Audioholic
First is your firmware up to date? Did you by any chance do a firmware update via wi-Fi connection? If so there may have been an interruption. NEVER do firmware updates on anything via Wi-Fi only via very secure and dependable wired connection.

There does not seem to be a way of doing a total system reset on that unit, only getting settings back to default.

Since you have trouble getting to the Net, I would download the latest firmware on a USB stick, and update the firmware from that. If that does not do the trick, then I have nothing else to suggest.

I would say, that players are far from the optimal streaming devices, and should be a last resort. I regard disc players as just that.
Checked the firmware and since the unit was on auto update the version was up-to-date. I still did the factory reset and download the firmware on the PC and loaded it again (at least I think I did) However, nothing changed. The unit is out of warranty. I did get a strange message saying that the browser wasn't supported anymore.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
The disc player itself still functions fine? You can always just switch over to something like the Amazon Fire Stick or similar....

rjharle

rjharle

Audioholic
The disc player itself still functions fine? You can always just switch over to something like the Amazon Fire Stick or similar....
The whole problem started because I wanted to use Kodi for the audio on the player to see if the player's audio, using Kodi, sounded better than the Shield TV Pro using Kodi. Until that time, I always used Shield for video streaming. I never used any apps on the DVD player. I guess this is payback for me not loading the player up with apps. The player works fine.

Last edited:
TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Checked the firmware and since the unit was on auto update the version was up-to-date. I still did the factory reset and download the firmware on the PC and loaded it again (at least I think I did) However, nothing changed. The unit is out of warranty. I did get a strange message saying that the browser wasn't supported anymore.
I think that message gives you your answer. I think the last thing you want to use to stream is a disc player. You have lots of better options.

rjharle

rjharle

Audioholic
The DVD player works fine; just the browser is the problem. I just wanted to see if the DVD player sounded better than the Nvidia Shield TV Pro with Kodi. The Panasonic DP-UB820 has some nice audio player specs.

Last edited:
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis