What is a good inexpensive DAC for my analog rig?

A

aceinc1

Enthusiast
I have an analog system in one room. it does not have any TV/monitor hooked up to it. I would like to inexpensively play music I have ripped into FLAC format on a windows computer in another room. I have also copied those FLAC files to a 256 GB USB 3.0 thumb drive. Occasionally I have hooked a notebook computer to a 1/8" headphone jack with RCA output to aux in on the tube preamp, but I use the notebook computer elsewhere & it is a PITA. I understand bluetooth is not high quality (I may be misinformed on this).

I do not have a wired ethernet connection at this location, but wireless is available.

So without selling any body parts what is the best option to allow me to play the digital sources (I don't do Spotify, Tidal or the like) I currently have?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Depends what features/connectivity you want and how much you want to spend....you can look thru this section, lots are covered https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?forums/digital-to-analog-dac-reviews-and-discussion.10/

Even something like a Chromecast Audio unit can work so you can stream to your 2ch gear wirelessly, which I've done. I even got a 2ch external dac (Schiit Modi 3) but really can't tell any difference from the Chromecast Audio's built in dac. They're no longer made but some NOS still on fleabay last I looked, altho the price has gone up quite a bit.

A

aceinc1

Enthusiast
Depends what features/connectivity you want and how much you want to spend....you can look thru this section, lots are covered https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?forums/digital-to-analog-dac-reviews-and-discussion.10/

Even something like a Chromecast Audio unit can work so you can stream to your 2ch gear wirelessly, which I've done. I even got a 2ch external dac (Schiit Modi 3) but really can't tell any difference from the Chromecast Audio's built in dac. They're no longer made but some NOS still on fleabay last I looked, altho the price has gone up quite a bit.
OK, so Chromecast might be an option, but what is the SQ like? The 2 channel system in question is currently configured as VTA SP9 tube preamp, VTA M-125 mono blocks and Klipsch Cornwall IIIs. It is a somewhat revealing system.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
OK, so Chromecast might be an option, but what is the SQ like? The 2 channel system in question is currently configured as VTA SP9 tube preamp, VTA M-125 mono blocks and Klipsch Cornwall IIIs. It is a somewhat revealing system.
Couldn't tell you. One way to find out, and if you have issues with the built-in dac, you can always add a dac....whether I hear a difference and you hear a difference....dunno but the speakers/electronics I was using are fine. All my systems reveal without any drama, tho....

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
I would have a hard time not going with something like a Bluesound product. I think a big part of what you are trying to do will include the user experience and from all I've heard, Bluesound delivers on both the user experience as well as the sound quality to go along with it.

Yes, a Chromecast may be able to deliver audio, but I think you are looking for something nice, but not crazy. That's right where this product fits in. They don't have any new in stock right now, but they do have factory recertified units, which saves you a few bucks...

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
One thing about the Chromecast Audio is that it can be invisible (as it can easily exist behind the gear out of sight). Controlled from phone/tablet/computer. I do hear nice things said about the Bluesound units, too, especially if you want something to put hands on. I can also play the same thing simultaneously on all three of my Audio Chromecasts if I want the same thing playing while I'm doing stuff around the house....or for parties etc....wonder if Bluesounds have that ability? I know its in some other gear, but was somewhat unique to the CCA when I first looked into them.....

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis