Webb Space Telescope

B

Bruce53

Full Audioholic
Just visited there again in December. Way different than in 90's. It is awesome.

davidscott

davidscott

Audioholic Ninja
Just visited there again in December. Way different than in 90's. It is awesome.
I was there about 4 years ago visiting from DFW. Now that I live in St Augustine, I'm definitely going back. :)

Eppie

Eppie

Audioholic Ninja
Any of you peeps ever visited NASA at cape Kennedy in Florida? That was one very informative visit. Stayed there all day and could have easily gone a second.
Yup, toured the space center with the kids about a dozen years ago. I loved seeing that Saturn booster on its side in the big show room. People don't realize just how many launch platforms they have on the whole site. Very cool.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
The update is that the insertion was successful and JWST is in its orbit at L2.
And now… we wait.

Out-Of-Phase

Out-Of-Phase

Audioholic General
I love your updates, ryanosaur.

This telescope is as exciting to me as the Apollo 11 mission was way back in 1969 with Walter Cronkite.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
This is potentially one of the most important scientific achievements of our time. I hope I get to see humans on Mars, but until then, possibly seeing the "edge of the universe" will have to suffice. ;)

haraldo

haraldo

Audioholic Spartan
You mean those black holes will not be so black to Webb? ;) :D
Well, they are really black.... but maybe we can get better images of the accretion disk, the first real images of a black hole were really exciting ....

haraldo

haraldo

Audioholic Spartan
This is potentially one of the most important scientific achievements of our time. I hope I get to see humans on Mars, but until then, possibly seeing the "edge of the universe" will have to suffice. ;)
I agree that this is EXCEEDINGLY EXCITING

I am not sure we can see the edge, because is it not so that space expands so quickly that what is at the edge is going away faster than speed of light, which means there is part of the Universe we will never be able to observe.... There should be no scientific law that prohibit space from expanding faster than speed of light.... As far as I know the current diameter of the Universe is 93 billion lightyears, that means the edge of the Universe is way beyond what is observable to us.

The expansion of the early Universe is way beyond what I can comprehend, I seen estimates that the one second old Universe was 10 light years across... everything we understand about physics seem to break down here.

Last edited:
cpp

cpp

Audioholic Ninja
Any of you peeps ever visited NASA at cape Kennedy in Florida? That was one very informative visit. Stayed there all day and could have easily gone a second.
Oh many times. As a 62 year native of Fla, its a worth while visit.

haraldo

haraldo

Audioholic Spartan
Oh many times. As a 62 year native of Fla, its a worth while visit.
Thinking of this way back... it clearly points to what I think is the greatest engineering feat in history, by far....
First manned flight of Saturn V and what is NASA doing.... yeah, let's just go for the moon. INSANE :cool:

haraldo

haraldo

Audioholic Spartan
Is's talk about half a year "onboarding" and getting everything going and checked well. I hope there will be some glimpses of the capabilities of the Webb telescope before this time :)

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
I grew up ~100 miles from Houston, so I have visited the Houston Space Center many times. Back in the day, it wasn't nearly as fancy with the visitor center and all the presentations and hands-on activities like it is today. I literally remember loading up on long golf carts as a kid and being taken around the areas and seeing the huge vacuum chamber and such. Don't get me wrong, the experience today is more interesting and informative, but the old-school experience was kind of a look behind the curtains on the daily operations, and a more gritty experience. I also love the Saturn V rocket they have staged there, that thing is mind-blowingly massive!

Last edited:
haraldo

haraldo

Audioholic Spartan
....... I also love the Saturn V rocket they have staged there, that thing is mind-blowingly massive!
oh yes agree ... I seen it too and was completely blown away ... it is impossible to believe the sheer size, until you see it ..... incredibly massive

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
Is's talk about half a year "onboarding" and getting everything going and checked well. I hope there will be some glimpses of the capabilities of the Webb telescope before this time :)
I believe it takes a while for it to reach a stable temperature out there. Then to adjust all those mirrors, lots of work and time.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis