I'm in a bit of an odd position...ATMOS Help

L

loudtexan

Audiophyte
Greetings everyone. First timer here. I bought my home pre-wired, and have since dug myself into the beautiful world of HT. Looking back, I really wish I had a say in how this house is wired, but I can't really change that now. Long story short, I'm really struggling trying to find good speaker placement for both the Atmos speakers, and the L/R Surround.

I currently have a 5.2.2 setup, which is not laid out properly, but I am trying to correct it, as well as go to a proper 5.2.4 setup, or maybe even a 7.2.4 with an amp. I have outlined a simple overview of the layout of my living room, but will include other photos for context.

Some of the constraints I'm not sure what to do.

Here's what I have:
-Denon X3700H 9 channel receiver, with the option of 11 channels w/ use of another amp.
-2 ELAC UB52 Bookshelf speakers
-1 ELAC UC52 Center (mounted above TV, which sits above a fireplace, but pulls down *basically* to eye level (thanks to a MantelMount vertically articulating TV mount)
-4 Klipsch theater reference pack basic speakers. I've read they are atmos compatible.
-2 klipsch subs on either side of the couch.

1642574885194.png

The subs are not pictured, but are essentially below the two rear Klipsch, which are suspended from ceiling and are currently configured for L/R surround. The other 2 Klipsh are also mounted at the ceiling, but configured for "Front Height" as ATMOS speakers since I already have the ELAC bookshelf and centers. This is obviously not ideal and I want to fix this, add two proper LR Surrounds, and potentially even 2 more ATMOS speakers.

1) Where is the best placement for my L/R Surround speakers? I was thinking monopole speakers, placed approx 2ft above MLP, but I do have some constraints because of the two windows. I planned to use mounts into the wall pointing to MLP at about 110 degrees (on the back wall). I was considering ELAC Debut B5.2s or OW 4.2s for LR Surround. Open to suggestions though. I highlighted in red what I thought might be best? Note: there's less room on right side than left, and a window to consider, but I can get them within ~1f of equal distance from center position of couch. (7ft on left, 6ft on right from center of couch)

1642576052224.png

2) Where/how can I add/move speakers for a proper Atmos setup? I'm thinking the two front heights are probably not in the best position. This is the TV in lowered position on the MantelMount. Center of screen is about eye level, Center Channel speaker is above, but angled downwards to *basically* fire right at the ears. It looks more off here than it actually is because of the way I'm holding the camera.

1642575397439.png

3) If I added 2 more bookshelves on the rear wall (2ft above listening position), pointed towards MLP from 110 degrees, could I simply just convert all the Klipsch to ATMOS configuration and leave them where they are? My issue is, I don't mind adding in ceiling speakers or maybe even utilizing some of the space directly above MLP firing straight down, but as you can see, there's quite a bit of decorative baffling and obstructions thanks to the wooden beams and ceiling fan. I'm really not sure where I'd even put them, or if it would even sound good. I am certainly open to suggestions. (ignore the center channel's position in this photo, TV is in the "up" position, its normally much lower).

1642575569540.png

I apologize if this is all over the place. Feels like there's just so many variables to consider, and after week's of research, I am still unsure on what to do. I can access *basically* all of the ceiling via the attic, and am comfortable running the wiring through walls and such, but I want to do it right, do it once, and have it look as good as possible. Gotta pass the wife test lol. Thanks so much for your time.

Here's a couple more photos for context of room. Ignore the mess, I am still organizing lol!:
1642576239742.png

1642576273961.png

-William

Attachments

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
I would read this for speaker placement guidlines.

L

loudtexan

Audiophyte
I would read this for speaker placement guidlines.

Thanks for the reply. I'm familiar with the placement guidelines, but as you can see from the photos, there are obstructions and a bunch of wooden beams, recessed area, and such to consider. That is where I am unsure what to do.

Additionally, this guide doesn't cover anything with a couch being up against a wall.

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
Hello and welcome. Great room! Those beams are nice. One has to compromise optimal placement within the confines of a given room and furniture placement. I'd try to get the center channel under the TV. If that cannot be done, I'd lose it and run phantom center using the fronts. The height speakers are not THAT far off for atmos and I wouldn't make more holes. I'd move the couch just a few inches off of the wall. It will look better than it does now and pulling furniture away from walls a bit can actually make a room appear to be bigger than when furniture is pushed up against the walls. Put the serving trays somewhere else. I'd also move the console that is next to the front door to the wall on the right of the fireplace if it will fit there to give the couch more room to move forward a bit. The proposed surround speaker placement will work just fine. We all deal with room and furniture issues when we are working with living rooms and not dedicated rooms. You can still get a nice looking room and good sound. But, that center channel is just too high and too far forward in that setup.

L

loudtexan

Audiophyte
Hello and welcome. Great room! Those beams are nice. One has to compromise optimal placement within the confines of a given room and furniture placement. I'd try to get the center channel under the TV. If that cannot be done, I'd lose it and run phantom center using the fronts. The height speakers are not THAT far off for atmos and I wouldn't make more holes. I'd move the couch just a few inches off of the wall. It will look better than it does now and pulling furniture away from walls a bit can actually make a room appear to be bigger than when furniture is pushed up against the walls. Put the serving trays somewhere else. I'd also move the console that is next to the front door to the wall on the right of the fireplace if it will fit there to give the couch more room to move forward a bit. The proposed surround speaker placement will work just fine. We all deal with room and furniture issues when we are working with living rooms and not dedicated rooms. You can still get a nice looking room and good sound. But, that center channel is just too high and too far forward in that setup.
Hey, thanks a lot! Yea, I originally planned to put it below the TV, but unfortunately, it just wouldn't fit :(. I'll definitely try to run it phantom and see how it sounds. I tried to angle it down but ya know. I wish I never got a fireplace now.

Anyway, this is great actionable advice. You rock.

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
Thanks for the reply. I'm familiar with the placement guidelines, but as you can see from the photos, there are obstructions and a bunch of wooden beams, recessed area, and such to consider. That is where I am unsure what to do.

Additionally, this guide doesn't cover anything with a couch being up against a wall.
If your couch is up against a wall, the best you can do is 2 speakers for Atmos like I did.

L

loudtexan

Audiophyte
If your couch is up against a wall, the best you can do is 2 speakers for Atmos like I did.
Thanks, i'd love to see a photo or two if you have one handy. Otherwise, no sweat!

G

Golfx

Full Audioholic
Hey, thanks a lot! Yea, I originally planned to put it below the TV, but unfortunately, it just wouldn't fit :(. I'll definitely try to run it phantom and see how it sounds. I tried to angle it down but ya know. I wish I never got a fireplace now.

Anyway, this is great actionable advice. You rock.
My center is also mounted high over my TV and fireplace as well. I suspect there are a bunch of us with the setup. Because I have to look UP to see my TV my ears are already pointed in the direction of my center. I have accommodated to that position and don’t find it annoying at all. You will find many on this forum that use the original Dolby measurements as gospel and then argue against any variation.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis