Marantz MM8003 8 channel amplifier

}Fear_Inoculum{

}Fear_Inoculum{

Senior Audioholic
Is this amplifier still worth picking up today? There is one for sale locally (they're asking 800$ for it). Or should I be looking for something newer to power my system?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
If you need an 8 ch amp of that spec the price used isn't horrible considering its original retail 14 years ago of USD 2400....but I'd still try and get it for less :) CAD 800 sounds better than USD 800, too.

carlthess40

carlthess40

Audioholic
It’s a really good amp with great sound, the power numbers go down with more channels being used. Marantz hides these specs on their amps. And 600 ca money is a good deal
So jump on it if it’s 100% working. Be sure to test it with all channels working at the same time and let it run for at least 30 minutes

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Is this amplifier still worth picking up today? There is one for sale locally (they're asking 800$ for it). Or should I be looking for something newer to power my system?
I have that amp for 11 years now, in my opinion it's an excellent choice for a 11 channel system because you can use it with a more powerful 3 channel amp for the typically more demanding LCR channel.

I bet if you use it within its limit it will last for a long time so if the one you are considering is in top shape, $800 would seem reasonable but of course it makes sense to negotiate it down as much as you can.

}Fear_Inoculum{

}Fear_Inoculum{

Senior Audioholic
If you need an 8 ch amp of that spec the price used isn't horrible considering its original retail 14 years ago of USD 2400....but I'd still try and get it for less :) CAD 800 sounds better than USD 800, too.
I do need an 8 channel amplifier for my 13.3 system, as I currently only have one 5 channel amp and am using my RX-A2040 in pre out mode to power a bunch of channels. This should more than be enough power for me based upon my usage/needs.

My question was more meant to be along the lines of is this a decent amp, and worth the money? I sent the seller an offer of 650$, so we'll see if they respond.

Cheers.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I do need an 8 channel amplifier for my 13.3 system, as I currently only have one 5 channel amp and am using my RX-A2040 in pre out mode to power a bunch of channels. This should more than be enough power for me based upon my usage/needs.

My question was more meant to be along the lines of is this a decent amp, and worth the money? I sent the seller an offer of 650$, so we'll see if they respond.

Cheers.
Yes it's a good quality amp altho this bench test indicates it's not much different than many avr amps....is your 5ch amp significantly more powerful and are using it on the mains and surrounds? https://www.soundandvision.com/content/marantz-av8003-processor-and-mm8003-amplifier-ht-labs-measures

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord

Cheers.
The MM8003 is definitely a decent power amplifier, in fact a very high quality one with excellent specs and measurements. Whether it is worth $800 or even $650 would depends on its condition.

If I were to sell mine I would probably ask for about $800 too but mine looks like brand new, has the original box, manuals and accessories and is working like it was on day 1 (Can't prove that obviously without bench testing..).

One thing you should probably do, if you haven't yet, is to find out it the amp has more than the power output you need.

Peak SPL Calculator (hometheaterengineering.com)

Marantz AV8003 Preamp/Processor and MM8003 Multichannel Power Amplifier Measurements | Sound & Vision (soundandvision.com)

1642362312129.png

You are not going find too many 8X140 W 8 ohm power amp with low distortion like the MM8003.

}Fear_Inoculum{

}Fear_Inoculum{

Senior Audioholic
Yes it's a good quality amp altho this bench test indicates it's not much different than many avr amps....is your 5ch amp significantly more powerful and are using it on the mains and surrounds? https://www.soundandvision.com/content/marantz-av8003-processor-and-mm8003-amplifier-ht-labs-measures
This is the 5 channel amp that I'm currently using to drive my LCR and 2 rear surrounds:

So I was going to (if I can get my hands on it) use the Marantz to power 4 more side surrounds and 4 Atmos speakers.

I don't drive my system very hard, certainly nowhere near to clipping. So this should be more than enough power.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
This is the 5 channel amp that I'm currently using to drive my LCR and 2 rear surrounds:

So I was going to (if I can get my hands on it) use the Marantz to power 4 more side surrounds and 4 Atmos speakers.

I don't drive my system very hard, certainly nowhere near to clipping. So this should be more than enough power.
Agreed, the output of the 2 amps are comparable. The Marantz has lower THD+N but the Outlaw amp is good too.

}Fear_Inoculum{

}Fear_Inoculum{

Senior Audioholic
Might be a moot point anyway. Seller got back to me saying he has a sale pending, but if it falls through he'll let me know.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
There can be value in offering the seller what he wants :) At least you still can drive your other channels with what you've got....

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis