Anthem PVA 7 Power switch

rjharle

rjharle

Audioholic
Anybody know where I can get a replacement power switch for an Anthem PVA-7?

Will Anthem sell me one?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Unless you can identify the correct replacement part on your own, Anthem sounds like a good start. What happened?

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Anybody know where I can get a replacement power switch for an Anthem PVA-7?

Will Anthem sell me one?
I'm not surprised that switch gave trouble. That amp takes up to 1.5 KW power draw. That is far too much power for an in out power button switch and is a bad design.

That amp should have had a momentary switch taking minimal power to drive a starting circuit.

I would recommend bypassing the on off switch and externally installing a 24 volt relay and transformer and a manual external switch. If you don't reconfigure this, you will have recurring trouble. That is the method I use for starting my power amps.

rjharle

rjharle

Audioholic
In the case the large power coil shifted during shipment and hit the switch forcing it to one side; bending the switch and breaking off the button. I would just glue the button back on, but the switch it's self is bent, and it won't line up.
I suggest that you verify the following product which could solve the problem. You could contact Furman for additional info:

EDIT: https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/927211-REG/furman_cn_15mp_contractor_series_miniport.html
I don't think any of this would be necessary. The switch didn't fail due to overload or a bad switch. The power coil was to close to the switch and shifted during while being shipped.

The switch is only required to be light duty because it starts a process. Simply, when pressed on, the amp goes into a delayed start for a few seconds. The circuit then does its thing and activates a relay to complete the power on.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
In the case the large power coil shifted during shipment and hit the switch forcing it to one side; bending the switch and breaking off the button. I would just glue the button back on, but the switch it's self is bent, and it won't line up.

I don't think any of this would be necessary. The switch didn't fail due to overload or a bad switch. The power coil was to close to the switch and shifted during while being shipped.

The switch is only required to be light duty because it starts a process. Simply, when pressed on, the amp goes into a delayed start for a few seconds. The circuit then does its thing and activates a relay to complete the power on.
If the unit suffered that much damage in transit, then it should be returned at the shipper's expense. In any event, a unit that has that much damage in transit, needs thorough bench testing before being put into service. For the power transformer to move, means there must have been enough force to break some substantial bolts. I doubt the transformer was mounted with thumb tacks.

You really should have made all this clear in your original post.

rjharle

rjharle

Audioholic
If the unit suffered that much damage in transit, then it should be returned at the shipper's expense. In any event, a unit that has that much damage in transit, needs thorough bench testing before being put into service. For the power transformer to move, means there must have been enough force to break some substantial bolts. I doubt the transformer was mounted with thumb tacks.

You really should have made all this clear in your original post.
The coil is mounted by a bolt/nut through its center. The screw comes through a hole in the bottom of the cabinet, through the center of the coil, to a plate, then the nut. The coil is very close to the switch, and it didn't have to move much to hit the switch. (about 1/4") The nut wasn't very tight, so any sudden lateral movement could've caused the problem. I'll check the amp when I get the new switch. For now, it looks like the switch is all that is needed.

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
The coil is mounted by a bolt/nut through its center. The screw comes through a hole in the bottom of the cabinet, through the center of the coil, to a plate, then the nut. The coil is very close to the switch, and it didn't have to move much to hit the switch. (about 1/4") The nut wasn't very tight, so any sudden lateral movement could've caused the problem. I'll check the amp when I get the new switch. For now, it looks like the switch is all that is needed.
Did you order the new switch from Anthem?

M Code

M Code

Audioholic General
Anthem used the same power switch in many amplifiers, so I would hope the part is available...

Just my $0.02... ;)

rjharle

rjharle

Audioholic
Ah, being nice to the shipper :) Was it more his lack of packing or the carrier's abuse?
The box wasn't damaged at all. Maybe it was just a rough handling that caused the package to receive a sharp lateral jolt and since the power coil wasn't mounted that tight it shifted and hit the switch.

This isn't a big deal, I just need a new switch. I already removed the broken one; when the new comes, just pop it in, and I'm GTG.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
The box wasn't damaged at all. Maybe it was just a rough handling that caused the package to receive a sharp lateral jolt and since the power coil wasn't mounted that tight it shifted and hit the switch.

This isn't a big deal, I just need a new switch. I already removed the broken one; when the new comes, just pop it in, and I'm GTG.
Hopefully other damage that may not be apparent didn't occur at least. Package handling can be rough....I was in logistics for my career. Poor packing is the biggest reason for problems, even over rough handling by the package handling companies.

ps could just be original build quality of the amp, too....

Last edited:
rjharle

rjharle

Audioholic
Hopefully other damage that may not be apparent didn't occur at least. Package handling can be rough....I was in logistics for my career. Poor packing is the biggest reason for problems, even over rough handling by the package handling companies.

ps could just be original build quality of the amp, too....
Could be build quality. But I think since it is the power coil, what might have happened was the coil's heating/cooling caused the expansion/contraction and losing of the lock nut. Had it not been for one jolt to the side, it never would have been noticed.

rjharle

rjharle

Audioholic
Got the switch from Anthem - $20.00 + $8.00 shipping
They don't have any more black buttons; I'll just use the old one.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis