TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.

And I'm just loving all the hate for having a difference of opinion. The CDc itself has changed direction numerous times, recently shortening isolation time from 10 days to 5, even admitting it was to get more people back in the workforce.

I've had Covid, it sucked, but at no point did I feel I was gonna die. Also, when you have to get three shots within 6 months and it still doesn't protect you from getting the disease, only lessons it's severity, that's not a vaccine.
I want you to prove you are not a Chinese bot. Your posts seem suspicious to me. Chinese bots, have certainly been posting in the UK. It seems to me that it is unlikely they don't post on US media.

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

[QUOTE="NINaudio, p... So, basically, this guy gets less and less credible the more I look into him.
[/QUOTE]
That should be "the more he opens his mouth." ;):D
No different than the Frontier Doctors group.
And, just because he had a hand in mRNA doesn't mean he know it all.
Plenty of Nobel winners, I mean plenty, who went over the cliff in stupidity. Linus Pauling is one.

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Good grief. Do you actually believe that link supports your statement "And the CDc just stated that PCR tests aren't going to be used after the first of the year because the test cannot distinguish between the flu and covid"?
Why wouldn't he. He had a good mentor, the trumpster. Just twist it to your liking. Facts? What is that. :D

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

There has been no expressions of hatred - just exasperation from having to continuously refute inaccurate and/or incorrect statements/links.

So, because your experience with COVID wasn't horrible, that should dictate the response to the disease for the rest of society? Oh, and having to get multiple doses does not make it "not a vaccine".
Not to mention getting 3 shots in 6 month. What craziness and distortion.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
I want you to prove you are not a Chinese bot. Your posts seem suspicious to me. Chinese bots, have certainly been posting in the UK. It seems to me that it is unlikely they don't post on US media.
I've been calling out potential bots on here for years. This would be the first that popped up in this thread, but also wouldn't surprise me.

highfigh

highfigh

Well, I hope it doesn't get worse and that you get well soon. My cold is almost cleared up - sore throat is gone and the congestion is almost gone. I had no other symptoms.
I sound worse than I feel- I told a friend that while I was listening to a particular radio station as I drove on Tuesday, I was KILLIN' the low vocal notes in 'Family Affair' by Sly & The Family Stone.

highfigh

highfigh

I'm going to put it as simply as possible for some of the people here: if you believe OR the source of your information comes from someone who:

a) is still pushing Ivermectin as an effective Covid treatment despite all the evidence otherwise;

and/or

b) is saying that the vaccines cause more harm than good despite the mountains of evidence showing otherwise;

and/or

c) you think that the Covid vaccines are "gene therapy" despite everything you've been told to disprove that idea,

than, please, just don't post that BS here.

If, however, you're vaccine hesitant or have questions about it's safety and efficacy please do ask them. I've actually had really good conversations with vaccine hesitant people who weren't sure what to believe because of all the noise out there coming from a very few and very vocal anti-vax people. There's lots of data out there on how effective vaccines are, and how few and rare the side effects are. There have been close to 9 billion doses administered worldwide. 9 billion! Anti-vaxxers love to focus on the 10, 12, 20, or maybe even 100 instances of supposed bad long term reactions to the vaccine. Your chances of a bad long term reaction are vanishingly low compared to your chances of contracting and dying from Covid if you aren't vaccinated. That's the big takeaway here.
I think the total doses administered is less important than the number of people who have had more than one, may have had two or more. We know that many have not received a single dose for various reasons but we should look at the people, not just the doses.

highfigh

highfigh

How would someone find out which variant they have? My test result link doesn't show anything. Since my symptoms have been mild, should I assume it's Omicron?

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
How would someone find out which variant they have? My test result link doesn't show anything. Since my symptoms have been mild, should I assume it's Omicron?
probably with how fast it seems to be spreading

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Genome sequencing is not something you can order. They are done by public health on a ratio as determined by the need to track the pandemic.
Most recently I heard they were sequencing 1 in 7 PCR samples. You can not tell from a lateral flow antigen test.

Genome sequencing is complex and takes a lot of lab time. Although for Omicron, there is a surrogate marker, which is the S-gene drop out. This correlates as quite a good marker for omicron. What this allows for, is a way to identify omicron without full genome sequencing. So more tests can be run in a shorter time frame.

NINaudio

NINaudio

Audioholic Samurai
I think the total doses administered is less important than the number of people who have had more than one, may have had two or more. We know that many have not received a single dose for various reasons but we should look at the people, not just the doses.
When it comes to fighting the argument of those who think "the vaccines aren't safe" I think the total doses administered is a more important number to use.

When it comes to how protected we are as a society, then yes, the number of people vaccinated is the more important number.

highfigh

highfigh

Genome sequencing is not something you can order. They are done by public health on a ratio as determined by the need to track the pandemic.
Most recently I heard they were sequencing 1 in 7 PCR samples. You can not tell from a lateral flow antigen test.

Genome sequencing is complex and takes a lot of lab time. Although for Omicron, there is a surrogate marker, which is the S-gene drop out. This correlates as quite a good marker for omicron. What this allows for, is a way to identify omicron without full genome sequencing. So more tests can be run in a shorter time frame.
My test was PCR- the results link shows that and Positive, with little else.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

My test was PCR- the results link shows that and Positive, with little else.
Well, that is all it would show. Further testing would not be released to you, as the data is for epidemiological tracking purposes.

M

Mr._Clark

Audioholic Samurai
The comment about the infectiousness of omicron got my attention:

>>>If you were thinking of heading out to celebrate New Year’s Eve tonight, this quote from Nervtag’s Prof Peter Openshaw on BBC Breakfast might give you pause for thought. PA Media quote him saying:

"Omicron is so infectious. We’re lucky really that it wasn’t this infectious when it first moved into human-to-human transmission. We’ve had several iterations of this virus going through different stages of its evolution.

It has ended up being so infectious that it almost needs just a whiff of infected breath and you could get infected.

We’re in a relatively good position in countries like the UK but I think you have to remember that in many parts of the world the vaccination rates are only about 5%, and they’re being exposed to this very infectious virus with very little protection."<<< (emphasis added)

cpp

cpp

Audioholic Ninja
It has ended up being so infectious that it almost needs just a whiff of infected breath and you could get infected.
It becoming almost, for even the vaccinated and how contagious Omicron is, if not now, when will we all become infected with Covid and its traveling variations.

M

Mr._Clark

Audioholic Samurai
It becoming almost, for even the vaccinated and how contagious Omicron is, if not now, when will we all become infected with Covid and its traveling variations.
At this point I'm not sure what to think about how contagious omicron is (everything I've seen so far does show, however, that vaccines signficantly reduce the odds of ending up in a hospital). "Fog of war" comes to mind.

I'm still trying to avoid getting it, but I'm not at all sure I'll succeed. I'm starting to think almost complete isolation might be the only way to get through this wave.

An article at NPR discusses a "super spreader" event in Norway where a large number of vaccinated people were infected:

>>>In late November, more than 110 people gathered at a crowded Christmas party at a restaurant in Oslo. Most of the guests were fully vaccinated. One had returned from South Africa just a few days earlier and was unknowingly carrying the omicron variant of SARS-CoV-2. Ultimately, about 70% of the partygoers were infected. . . .

"This is a game-changing virus, especially in the vaccinated population where people have had a level of invincibility," says Sumit Chanda, a professor in the Department of Immunology and Microbiology at Scripps Research.<<<

The same article cites another study which seems to suggest omicron is spreading because it can evade vaccine immunity, not because it is inherently more infectious:

>>>A new study from Denmark suggests that much of the variant's dominance comes down to its ability to evade the body's immune defenses.

Researchers compared the spread of omicron and delta among members of the same household and concluded that omicron is about 2.7 to 3.7 times more infectious than the delta variant among vaccinated and boosted individuals.

But here's an interesting additional point: For unvaccinated people, there was no significant difference in rates of infection between delta and omicron. That would indicate that both variants are about at the same level of transmissibility among the unvaccinated — in other words, under those circumstances, omicron is not necessarily more transmissible than delta.<<<

A paper posted at the New England Journal of Medicine website shows that vaccines are effective against omicron with regards to hospitalization, albeit somewhat reduced compared to prior variants:

>>>During the proxy omicron period, we found a vaccine effectiveness of 70% (95% confidence interval [CI], 62 to 76), a finding that was supported by the results of all sensitivity tests. This measure of vaccine effectiveness was significantly different from that during the comparator period, when the rate was 93% (95% CI, 90 to 94) against hospitalization for Covid-19 (Table 2).<<<

To add a little more fog to the mix, quite a few media outlets are reporting that in the UK, omicron seems to be resulting in lower hospitalization rates. But, of course, this is very preliminary:

>>>The latest data from the U.K. Health Security Agency found the risk of hospitalization for people infected with omicron is about a third of that posed by the delta variant. The study analyzed more than 528,000 omicron cases and 573,000 delta cases from Nov. 22 through Dec. 26 in England.

However, Chief Medical Advisor Susan Hopkins cautioned that it is still too early to draw definitive conclusions about the severity of illness caused by omicron. . . . The new U.K. study also found Covid vaccines reduce the risk of hospitalization from omicron across the board, though a booster dose provides the highest level of protection. The latest data adds to a growing body of evidence demonstrating that although the vaccines have taken a hit from omicron, they still provide significant levels of protection compared to people who are unvaccinated. <<<

cpp

cpp

Audioholic Ninja
At this point I'm not sure what to think about how contagious omicron is (everything I've seen so far does show, however, that vaccines signficantly reduce the odds of ending up in a hospital). "Fog of war" comes to mind.

I'm still trying to avoid getting it, but I'm not at all sure I'll succeed. I'm starting to think almost complete isolation might be the only way to get through this wave.

An article at NPR discusses a "super spreader" event in Norway where a large number of vaccinated people were infected:

>>>In late November, more than 110 people gathered at a crowded Christmas party at a restaurant in Oslo. Most of the guests were fully vaccinated. One had returned from South Africa just a few days earlier and was unknowingly carrying the omicron variant of SARS-CoV-2. Ultimately, about 70% of the partygoers were infected. . . .

"This is a game-changing virus, especially in the vaccinated population where people have had a level of invincibility," says Sumit Chanda, a professor in the Department of Immunology and Microbiology at Scripps Research.<<<

The same article cites another study which seems to suggest omicron is spreading because it can evade vaccine immunity, not because it is inherently more infectious:

>>>A new study from Denmark suggests that much of the variant's dominance comes down to its ability to evade the body's immune defenses.

Researchers compared the spread of omicron and delta among members of the same household and concluded that omicron is about 2.7 to 3.7 times more infectious than the delta variant among vaccinated and boosted individuals.

But here's an interesting additional point: For unvaccinated people, there was no significant difference in rates of infection between delta and omicron. That would indicate that both variants are about at the same level of transmissibility among the unvaccinated — in other words, under those circumstances, omicron is not necessarily more transmissible than delta.<<<

A paper posted at the New England Journal of Medicine website shows that vaccines are effective against omicron with regards to hospitalization, albeit somewhat reduced compared to prior variants:

>>>During the proxy omicron period, we found a vaccine effectiveness of 70% (95% confidence interval [CI], 62 to 76), a finding that was supported by the results of all sensitivity tests. This measure of vaccine effectiveness was significantly different from that during the comparator period, when the rate was 93% (95% CI, 90 to 94) against hospitalization for Covid-19 (Table 2).<<<

To add a little more fog to the mix, quite a few media outlets are reporting that in the UK, omicron seems to be resulting in lower hospitalization rates. But, of course, this is very preliminary:

>>>The latest data from the U.K. Health Security Agency found the risk of hospitalization for people infected with omicron is about a third of that posed by the delta variant. The study analyzed more than 528,000 omicron cases and 573,000 delta cases from Nov. 22 through Dec. 26 in England.

However, Chief Medical Advisor Susan Hopkins cautioned that it is still too early to draw definitive conclusions about the severity of illness caused by omicron. . . . The new U.K. study also found Covid vaccines reduce the risk of hospitalization from omicron across the board, though a booster dose provides the highest level of protection. The latest data adds to a growing body of evidence demonstrating that although the vaccines have taken a hit from omicron, they still provide significant levels of protection compared to people who are unvaccinated. <<<

Like the news last night, noted covid will be in the next year or two just like the "FLU" with people who want it getting their yearly covid shot like we get a flu shot.

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
Here is a good discussion about the importance of adequate Vitamin D intake to protect us from a severe Covid-19 infection. Because we live in the Northern part of the planet, most of us don't have enough sun exposure, we are deficient in that essential vitamin. Zinc and vitamin K2 are also mentioned in the interview with Dr Michael Cohen from Israel:

davidscott

davidscott

Audioholic Ninja
From the little that I know I agree with Vitamin D and Zinc. But I'd be a bit careful on the K. Supposedly could cause bleeding to people on blood thinners.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

From the little that I know I agree with Vitamin D and Zinc. But I'd be a bit careful on the K. Supposedly could cause bleeding to people on blood thinners.
You have it the wrong way round. Vit K reverses warfarin. Vitamin K should not be taken by anyone taking warfarin, as you will clot. Warfarin is still the anticoagulant of choice, in fact the only one indicated for people with prosthetic heart valves.

The newer anticoagulants, the factor XA antagonists are not vitamin K dependent. They have to be reversed by recombinant factor X (ten).

I would caution people not to be cavalier, with vitamin D as vitamin D intoxication is a real problem and serious. You are particularly prone if you are a somewhat darker skinned Caucasian. If you are going to take more than 1000 units of vit D per day, you should have vit D and serum calcium measured, especially if you fit the demographics above. I personally get too high vitamin D levels taking even small supplements.

If in doubt, have your doctor check a vitamin D level and serum calcium. There is no advantage in boosting vitamin D to high levels, in fact, that is dangerous.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis