Webb Space Telescope

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
Did you have a look at the video I posted in #3? In that clip they are building a model of the telescope, along with commentary from a NASA scientist.
Yes, I saw it. I still maintain that the so-called James Webb Space Telescope is really an Imperial Death Star, version 1.0

Trell

Trell

Audioholic Spartan
Yes, I saw it. I still maintain that the so-called James Webb Space Telescope is really an Imperial Death Star, version 1.0
Now that's an upgrade from the previous "Imperial Class II Destroyer" that you never wrote about in the first place! :D

R

rnatalli

Audioholic Ninja
Imagine what overpriced wiring this telescope is sporting!

Out-Of-Phase

Out-Of-Phase

Audioholic General
ryanosaur, thanks for your contributing posts. You have good taste in speakers and good taste in telescopes. ;)

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Exciting...
The Sunshield has successfully been extended on both sides.
Tomorrow will begin a two day process of separating and tensioning the layers of the shield.

Out-Of-Phase

Out-Of-Phase

Audioholic General
Updates:

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
The secondary mirror has been deployed!
The next two days should hopefully see the primary mirror opened up to its final configuration, followed by unlocking and orienting each of the 18 individual mirrors to their operational positions.
So close!

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I still remember when the first Hubble deep field images first came out and blew everyone away. Images of stellar nurseries are really cool too. I'm excited to see what Webb is going to reveal.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
L2 is not 15million km, rather 1.5million km. about 1 million miles.
destination that humans will never see it again — 15,00,000 kilometers away from Earth.
clearly they mislplaced the comma. :p

Or else its the "new" math. :rolleyes:

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Apparently everything is going so smoothly they may have extended the duration of the mission via extremely efficient insertion and orientation. Using minimal burns to get it oriented took less fuel than anticipated and is going to result in extending it's mission window. Pretty cool stuff. There are like 234 different stages to go and lots of room for error still but so far so good.

Last edited:
Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Jon Michael Godier is a sci fi author and produces a lot of interesting "what if" cosmological videos as well as interesting facts about the universe. He has another channel called "Event Horizon" where he interviews cosmologists and physicists about different topics. He just put this one out a day ago at the time of this post.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
I still remember when the first Hubble deep field images first came out and blew everyone away. Images of stellar nurseries are really cool too. I'm excited to see what Webb is going to reveal.
The main item to me, is that I really like to know the conditions of the images and especially what type of processing has been applied.

When we get these stunning images, we need to know how the data was processed to get that image.

One of the most common processing techniques is a "color swap" technique. This is where particular EM wavelengths outside of the visible spectrum are "substituted" for wavelengths in the visible spectrum. This then allows us to "see outside of the visible spectrum", so to speak.

These types of images amaze us, and the people uneducated in the field are completely "fooled" by such techniques. I'm not saying that this makes the data bogus, I'm just saying that providing such images and data without providing the conditions and processing will only tell half of the truth.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
The main item to me, is that I really like to know the conditions of the images and especially what type of processing has been applied.

When we get these stunning images, we need to know how the data was processed to get that image.

One of the most common processing techniques is a "color swap" technique. This is where particular EM wavelengths outside of the visible spectrum are "substituted" for wavelengths in the visible spectrum. This then allows us to "see outside of the visible spectrum", so to speak.

These types of images amaze us, and the people uneducated in the field are completely "fooled" by such techniques. I'm not saying that this makes the data bogus, I'm just saying that providing such images and data without providing the conditions and processing will only tell half of the truth.
Yup, most of those cool images actually don't look the way they're depicted because of the color swapping. I imagine there will be a lot of that with JW too since it's an infrared telescope and infrared is invisible to us.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Dr Becky is an astrophysicist with some interesting content and she explains how and why NASA does the color swapping in this video.

Last edited:
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis