Who's got the best App to control their AVR? (Denon seems to stuck on 2016 and it sucks)

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I am now only using MusicCast app - no longer using AV Controller app.

Thanks to @cerwinmad I am convinced that the MusicCast app can do everything the AV Controller app can do.

cerwinmad

cerwinmad

Full Audioholic

Thanks to @cerwinmad I am convinced that the MusicCast app can do everything the AV Controller app can do.
No worries! I renamed the "scenes" via the on screen menu with remote . Glad I could help!!

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
No worries! I renamed the "scenes" via the on screen menu with remote . Glad I could help!!
I was able to rename the Scenes using on screen menu, the web-interface and on the AV Controller app.

On the RX-A3080, the name change reflected on MusicCast app.

However, on the CX-A5100, the name change did NOT reflect on the MusicCast app.

So I conclude that the CX-A5100 (and older AVR like RX-A3070) did NOT get this feature upgrade. The CX-A5200 probably got this upgrade along with the RX-A3080 and all newer AVRs.

But anyway, I am now only using MusicCast app as my Remote. AV Controller app is now retired on my system.

My phone Volume buttons serve as my Master Volume for the Yamaha. Super cool.

My setup is extremely simple. I only have 2 Sources: HTPC and Music Server. And 2 Scenes for HTPC: Scene 1: Straight Mode, Scene 2: NeuralX mode. :D

My conclusion: MusicCast app is the best WiFi Remote Control in the world. :D

Last edited:
cerwinmad

cerwinmad

Full Audioholic
Yes the volume control via pH is great! Nice simple setup! I use streaming apps on my tv via arc primarily, and the sound and level can vary between Netflix etc and digital broadcast tv, so the subwoofer trim is great!

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja

I continue to get iPhone updates for “bug fixes” on AV Controller App. It’s still alive and kicking for the older Yamahas. :).

I definitely appreciate the Musiccast App though for control of zone 2. (In my garage).

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I continue to get iPhone updates for “bug fixes” on AV Controller App. It’s still alive and kicking for the older Yamahas. :).

I definitely appreciate the Musiccast App though for control of zone 2. (In my garage).
Well, both apps work for the pre-2021 models.

I just didn’t realize that MusicCast app could do everything that AV Controller app could do.

And since all the post-2020 models can no longer use AV Controller, I figured I might as well start using MusicCast app in place of AV Controller - since both apps can do the same functions.

Actually, for what I use, MusicCast app is BETTER for me.

cpp

cpp

Audioholic Ninja
I agree that the DEnon remote /app sucks, loading this app just to see if it will work on a older Denon 4311

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I agree that the DEnon remote /app sucks, loading this app just to see if it will work on a older Denon 4311
It should work maybe 20% of the time. :D

I remember having to rescan and delete/add AVR over and over again. Now you know what's really important to me. :D

Seriously, my Yamaha apps have NEVER failed me yet. Not even once.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
That is NOT the official word from Yamaha.

All we know is that FOR THE TIME BEING, the AV Controller app doesn’t work for the new AVRs YET.
Felt like I had to quote my own comments.

I don't know what the "official" word is from Yamaha regarding AV Controller app.

But now that I NO LONGER use AV Controller, and I use MusicCast App 100% of the time as my REMOTE CONTROL, I don't care. :D

I love MusicCast App as a Remote Control even more than AV Controller App.

Replicant 7

Replicant 7

Audioholic Samurai
Yep, just buy Yamaha! :cool: Denon just SUCKS..less reliability, made in a communist country, Heat issues, looks like Onkyo's on the backside. :D

Trell

Trell

Audioholic Spartan
Yep, just buy Yamaha! :cool: Denon just SUCKS..less reliability, made in a communist country, Heat issues, looks like Onkyo's on the backside. :D
Where do you think the lower end Yamaha receivers are made?

How many of your electronic devices are made in North America, Europe or Japan?

cpp

cpp

Audioholic Ninja
Where do you think the lower end Yamaha receivers are made?

How many of your electronic devices are made in North America, Europe or Japan?
Heck, all the manufactures buy their parts from who knows where these days, and the labor, well its where the cheapest is located at the time of their business contract, same for parts. The cheapest is going to get the business and fantastic quality, well that left us many many years ago.

And regarding Yamaha, I wonder where the line is drawn in their manufacturing structure on where all of their high-end, and mid tier AVR's, amps are made. Like this online notation. "Yamaha builds AVRs in 3 locations, Malaysia, China and Japan. The factory in Northern China is about 3 years old and largely builds the lower price-point AVRs as its labor costs are lower than Malaysia "

cpp

cpp

Audioholic Ninja
It should work maybe 20% of the time. :D

I remember having to rescan and delete/add AVR over and over again. Now you know what's really important to me. :D

Seriously, my Yamaha apps have NEVER failed me yet. Not even once.
That's what I was figuring , 20% if and when it actually will work.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
I like control apps, but you gotta’ draw a line somewhere. I still get up and walk down the hallway to change the thermostat. So, at least there’s that. :p
How pedestrian of you. I got my Ecobees set just right and never bothered to change it except maintenance.

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
I like the sound and feel of the dial when I change the temperature on the Nest.:p

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis