Speakers have no crossover only a capacitor.

• Thread starter Whatdidashleydonow
  • Start date
Whatdidashleydonow

Whatdidashleydonow

Audiophyte
My ex gave me her old set of pioneer dm-40 speakers but they’re very bass heavy when they shouldn’t be say with dialog. After opening the speakers I can see they don’t have a crossover only a capacitor going to the tweeter meaning the woofer is operating full range.

Would this ghxamp crossover be enough to improve audio?

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
My ex gave me her old set of pioneer dm-40 speakers but they’re very bass heavy when they shouldn’t be say with dialog. After opening the speakers I can see they don’t have a crossover only a capacitor going to the tweeter meaning the woofer is operating full range.

Hmmmm.....

Well, according to a pic of the back of those speakers, they are claimed to be "Active" speakers, which implies that they have active crossovers.

But, at the price point of those speakers, I wonder if they are using active very liberally when they really mean to use "powered".

Regardless, a simple cap on the tweeter is pretty common for low end speakers. It saves cost, and it is far from ideal (as you are finding).

But, to answer your questions-- A crossover really needs to be designed for a particular set of drivers AND the cabinet they are installed in. Ordering and installing off the shelf crossovers is gonna be a crap shoot at best. If those really are active speakers, then that may even be a bad idea.

How close do you have the speakers to a back wall? Or especially, is one of them in the corner?

I really think your best option to start is to see about placement options to improve the bass. Heck, maybe just old school tone controls would do what you want?

Here is a link to a review and the pic that I saw, these are your speakers?

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.

Those speakers are active, and the amps, and electronic crossovers are in the left speaker.

They are designed to work from a line output and NOT a speaker output.

So you connect a line outputs from a left right preamp, or device with line output. Connect them to the white and red line inputs on the LEFT speaker.

Connect the speaker level output on the left speaker to the speaker input on the right speaker. The device you use to drive the speakers, must have a volume control on the line outputs.

You must place the power cable from an AC 110 volt outlet to the left speaker.

Then you are set.

In an active speaker like this you always place a cap on the delicate tweeters, to protect them from any thumps from the HF amp.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
The device you use to drive the speakers, must have a volume control on the line outputs.
The pics I see show the volume control on the front of the left speaker (it also has a 3.5mm headphone out).

They may be calling them monitors, but they are more in line with recent "media" speakers (desktop PC speakers).

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

The pics I see show the volume control on the front of the left speaker (it also has a 3.5mm headphone out).

They may be calling them monitors, but they are more in line with recent "media" speakers (desktop PC speakers).
I missed that part, but the basics of what I said still apply. A volume control on the sending unit, will still be advantageous.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
I agree with TLSGuy with minor adjustments that these are multimedia speakers.
Multimedia speaker:
signal->amp->passive crossover-> to woofers
Active monitors have Active Crossover->splits to two:1) amp for tweeter driver - then to driver itself and b) same for the woofer.
So in a pair of monitor speakers, there are four amps, wherein multimedia like these, only one amp.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

I agree with TLSGuy with minor adjustments that these are multimedia speakers.
Multimedia speaker:
signal->amp->passive crossover-> to woofers
Active monitors have Active Crossover->splits to two:1) amp for tweeter driver - then to driver itself and b) same for the woofer.
So in a pair of monitor speakers, there are four amps, wherein multimedia like these, only one amp.
Yes, they must be as here is only one speaker level output. So there is only a half section first order crossover. So those speakers are in the junk category.

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan

They sell for around $129 a pair, which means budget friendly ... maybe sell these and get some JBL active speakers, if you desire powered speakers

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis