Marantz 6009 - Service or Replace

S

scott l

Enthusiast
Hello All,

I have a Marantz 6009 AVR that’s having an issue that continues to get worse.Currently I’m only using it to power an older set of JBL 4311’s monitors and a center channel for both my audio & video. The problem started a little over a year ago with having a static pop through the left channel speaker. Now the channel will cut out completely and will pop the speaker pretty hard when it comes back on. I can’t remember what I paid for the unit but it was a pretty big investment for me at the time I purchased. Thoughts on having the unit serviced or should I just scrape it. I have no idea of where to send the unit or even a price range to have something like this serviced?
Thoughts from the group....

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
Hello All,

I have a Marantz 6009 AVR that’s having an issue that continues to get worse.Currently I’m only using it to power an older set of JBL 4311’s monitors and a center channel for both my audio & video. The problem started a little over a year ago with having a static pop through the left channel speaker. Now the channel will cut out completely and will pop the speaker pretty hard when it comes back on. I can’t remember what I paid for the unit but it was a pretty big investment for me at the time I purchased. Thoughts on having the unit serviced or should I just scrape it. I have no idea of where to send the unit or even a price range to have something like this serviced?
It might help if you had mentioned as a start your location, country etc.

S

scott l

Enthusiast
Sorry about that..it’s been a while since posted and I thought it was turned on in profile. Actually I didn’t even think about it..

Western, NC

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
First I'd stop using it if you're getting loud uncomfortable pops. Hate to break a speaker too.

That's an older unit and definitely behind the times for connectivity so you're kinda due for an update I'd say. If that's not something you're worried about you can find some used receivers pretty cheap. Is this just for stereo? Did the 6009 do everything you needed? Any features you're looking for?

Most importantly, budget? What are you prepared to shell out for repairs? You could probably find a used or refurb in working order for a couple hundred bucks.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Contacting Marantz for service, maybe a qualified tech locally? If it needs a new board it may not be available, tho.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Hello All,

It sounds as if the DC offset protection is operating on that channel, probably from a failing power transistor.

To make sure the problem is in the power amp, see of the left channel cuts out on headphones. If not, you know it is the power amp, and the preamp is OK.

If you don't want to ditch the receiver, buy a two channel power amp for the left and right speakers and run it from the preouts. That will almost certainly be cheaper than the cost of repair. That will also be an upgrade.

S

scott l

Enthusiast
It sounds as if the DC offset protection is operating on that channel, probably from a failing power transistor.

To make sure the problem is in the power amp, see of the left channel cuts out on headphones. If not, you know it is the power amp, and the preamp is OK.

If you don't want to ditch the receiver, buy a two channel power amp for the left and right speakers and run it from the preouts. That will almost certainly be cheaper than the cost of repair. That will also be an upgrade.
Thanks... I didn’t even think about trying the earphones. The unit does have a few years on it but it’s not extremely old. I purchased new, it will be 4 years old the 1st of January. I really like the idea of the external amplifier for the JBL monitors due to the system being rated at 110 Watts per channel, it still seems to be a little under powered for them unless I absolutely crank to half way or near max for my Music listening. I have an older Sansui two channels that was only rated for 75 Watts per channel, that actually seems a lot more stronger than the Marantz amplifier at. 110 per channel.

Last edited:
TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Thanks... I didn’t even think about trying the earphones. The unit does have a few years on it but it’s not extremely old. I purchased new, it will be 4 years old the 1st of January. I really like the idea of the external amplifier for the JBL monitors due to the system being rated at 110 Watts per channel, it still seems to be a little under powered for them unless I absolutely crank to half way or near max for my Music listening. I have an older Sansui two channels that was only rated for 75 Watts per channel, that actually seems a lot more stronger than the Marantz amplifier at. 110 per channel.
I know people here do not believe me, but you do not really want to listen via AVR power amps. They are just miserable. I know PENG continues to defend them, but he is wrong. It is impossible to make receivers at the prices they ask with all those amps, and make them quality amps. It is impossible. You only need to take a quick look at those miserably small output transistors to see the issue.

The one problem with my plan is that if it is what I think and a power transistor fails, then it will send the whole receiver into protection.

If that happened you would have to open up the receiver and cut the power to the offending amp board.

S

scott l

Enthusiast
Before I jump....what’s the thoughts on adding a Marantz MM 7025 140 Watts 2 channel app through the pre amp out for my JBL Monitors? I found one advertised locally at a good price.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Before I jump....what’s the thoughts on adding a Marantz MM 7025 140 Watts 2 channel app through the pre amp out for my JBL Monitors? I found one advertised locally at a good price.
Not sure about it. The pictures of the internals are not encouraging. The heat sink is puny. They only rate the amp as 8 to 6 ohms. 6 to 8 ohms is printed right by the speaker terminals. Personally I would never buy an amp, that did not have a four ohm power rating, and the 4 ohm rating should be at least 50% greater than the 8 ohm rating. My amps are 150 watt 8 ohm and 250 watts 4 ohm. I personally would not be tempted.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Did you test the pre-outs? I wouldn't buy more gear until I knew what the problem was or what the avr can still do as a pre-amp, etc.. Nothing wrong with an avr amp if it fits your needs (and works) but is it perhaps ideal for TLS guy, no, he gets hives when he gets near an avr....audiophilia nervosa.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Did you test the pre-outs? I wouldn't buy more gear until I knew what the problem was or what the avr can still do as a pre-amp, etc.. Nothing wrong with an avr amp if it fits your needs (and works) but is it perhaps ideal for TLS guy, no, he gets hives when he gets near an avr....audiophilia nervosa.
No, I just want to play major works, including opera, at concert hall level, and not worry if an output transistor will blow! I'm pretty sure I could blow up an AVR in short order. It is robust design and engineering all the way for me. That is the most economical route. You don't see me posting incessant upgrade post. I get it right by design, and make no apologies for that approach.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
No, I just want to play major works, including opera, at concert hall level, and not worry if an output transistor will blow! I'm pretty sure I could blow up an AVR in short order. It is robust design and engineering all the way for me. That is the most economical route. You don't see me posting incessant upgrade post. I get it right by design, and make no apologies for that approach.
It still boils down to actual need and use and perhaps even genre. For many an avr's amp is just fine.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis