Damn I hit a deer tonight I feel so bad

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
I was driving home from work tonight right at 1130 pm. We have a lot of deer in our neighborhood. I love the deer always have since I was a kid. Anyways driving through the neighborhood going the speed limit which is 20 I'm just listening to music thinking about winding down. And a doe just runs right out into the middle of the road right in front of me I have no time to avoid it. I hit the brakes but still hit her on her broadside full on. I get to the house my front bumper is hanging off dragging but no other damage I could see. I just felt terrible tho after I removed the bumper I went back to see if I could help her but she was gone. Must have got off the road. I drove around couldn't find her anywhere. I felt better knowing she could at least get up and walk away but still feel terrible about it. Hope she's okay. I just needed to get that off my chest. Damn what a crazy night

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I've yet to have that experience, altho have had a couple close calls. At least didn't come thru your windshield at speed and take you with it. Any local hunters/agency to let know about this for follow up? Dunno....

H

Hetfield

Audioholic Samurai
I completely understand, it's a fear of mine not just cause it hurt me or who I'm driving with but to hurt the deer also.
A few years ago, 3-4 years ago we were driving to the mall at around dusk during the rut here in NJ and just tapped, just a very quick glancing blow but it keep going into the woods. To me that's actually worse because how bad was he/she hurt? How much pain did I cause? I felt and still feel so bad.
A long time ago, probably 20 years now I used to drive a truck at night, in talking middle of the night and my route went up to the hill and mountains. I was going pretty fast and hit a deer but it went up dead on and back wheels and all. That one was gone in an instant. I felt terrible for weeks but at least no pain.
All sad though.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

Dan

Dan

Audioholic Chief
It happened to me a few years ago. I was going home around eleven am after working all night in an emergency, so my reactions were slow. A doe jumped out from some bushes when was doing about 30-35 mph so probably little I could have done in any event. It wound up on the hood and then slid off across the two lane road and into a mailbox post. I couldn't stop to see what happened on that road, I just hope it was quick. Amazingly not a scratch on my car, just some fur.

If it makes you fell any better, in most suburban areas, cars are their only predator. They overpopulate these areas with no wolves etc. and no hunting due to the population density.

T

TankTop5

Audioholic General
My neighborhood has tons of deer and they have zero fear of cars… I’m always on the lookout.

Cos

Cos

Audioholic Samurai
You have more compassion than I do. Last year I was driving home in the rain an pitch black and 2 miles from home in my one month old 21 X5m40i with about 700 miles on it. Deer was in them middle of the road was spooked by the Truck on the other side and rammed my rear drivers side door (10k damage, all cosmetic). I didnt hit it, it ran into my car. I was so pissed I had no idea what hit me, pulled over to look and there were two gentlemen ready to put the deer down because of the collision.

I was cursing like a truck driver, then saw the deer, helped them pull it off to the side of the road, and left before they did the deed, as I could not watch. At the end of the day, its just a car and since the deer hit me, it was comprehensive and I had a 0 deductible. The deer was not quite as lucky.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
A friend of mine just had that exact scenario happen to him.

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
Thanks guys I just hate seeing things hurt. I'm just a big softie. Been on the phone with insurance just waiting for them to get back with me and tell me where I can go and how much my deductible is gonna be now

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
Someone should suggest a better and less painful way of killing deer than hitting them on the road. How about safely organized hunting? Deer meat is really good.

Last edited:
davidscott

davidscott

Audioholic Ninja
Ran over a rabbit once as it jumped out in the dark. I felt terrible for a few days. Also had a few near misses with deer but never hit one.

H

Hetfield

Audioholic Samurai
Ran over a rabbit once as it jumped out in the dark. I felt terrible for a few days. Also had a few near misses with deer but never hit one.
A few years ago I was driving back to the yard in my work truck and there was a turtle in the road and I stopped to help him cross without getting hit but I was too late. Some idiot driving too fast got him, I was devastated. But since then I have been aware of turtles by work and I have saved 3. It's just about 1 every year. This past summer there was one on a baseball field heading for the road. I grabbed him right up and put him right by the creek and he went right in nice and safe. I'm a huge softie also.

Last edited:
davidscott

davidscott

Audioholic Ninja
A few years ago I was driving back to the yard in my work truck and there was a turtle in the road and I stop to help out cross without getting hit but I was too late. Some idiot driving too fast got him, I was devastated. But since then I have sorry aware of turtles by work and I have saved 3. It's just about 1 every year. This past summer there was one on a baseball field heading for the road. I grabbed him right up and put him right by the creek and he went right in nice and safe. I'm a huge softie also.

Nice you are doing a good thing sir. :)

H

Hetfield

Audioholic Samurai
Nice you are doing a good thing sir. :)
Thank you. We get a lot over there because there is a creek, a small stream, and the ocean too very close by. I ran across a huge field, then the baseball field and picked him up to stop him from entering the road. He was happy once he was at the creek though, he ran right in, pretty fast actually.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
Someone should suggest a better and less painful way of killing deer than hitting them on the road. How about safely organized hunting? Deer meat is really good.
I have 20 acres specifically for this. Yum. Plus, I'm dead inside so that sort of thing doesn't bother me. I will say I can't believe I haven't hit one considering how many there are where I live. They don't care about cars at all.

My mom tried to get me to discourage my dad from hunting by showing me the dead deer in the back of his truck. I said "someone has to kill them" and that was that. I was 3.

This probably won't make @Danzilla31 feel better, but I had a friend hit a deer when he was on the way home from Lubbock to Kerrville. He picked it up and put it in his truck and took it to get made into jerky. It was excellent, plus the animal didn't go to waste just sitting on the side of the road rotting.

What wasn't excellent was showing up at his parent's house covered in blood with no explanation. His first thought was to tell his mom "it's not my blood" and she said "that only makes me feel a little better".

Good times.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
Thanks guys I just hate seeing things hurt. I'm just a big softie. Been on the phone with insurance just waiting for them to get back with me and tell me where I can go and how much my deductible is gonna be now
You are a much nicer person than I am. Hopefully the insurance doesn't give you any crap, they have to be used to this around here.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I've lived in area where deer are simply referred to as large lawn rats. Around here I see more elk. Always someone hunting around here, probably just post it up in our local outdoors group on FB and see if anyone wanted to track it down....or could be an interesting exercise for you?

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis