Receiver recommendations for B&W 802

V

venky

Audiophyte
Hi
I recently bought a used B&W 802 nautilus. Looking for a decent AVR to drive the speakers or AVR PLUS 2 channel amplifier. Also open to preamp/amp set up. Not looking at brand new equipment. It will be used for music, movies and sports. Trying to keep cost under 2K.
I have been using marantz receivers.
Wondering if a marantz 7000 series AVR PLUS a 2 or 3 channel amp (100 or 150 watts per channel) would suffice.
Thanks

Replicant 7

Replicant 7

Audioholic Samurai
Check out accessories4less, they sell used gear.

S

Sachb

Full Audioholic
Hi
I recently bought a used B&W 802 nautilus. Looking for a decent AVR to drive the speakers or AVR PLUS 2 channel amplifier. Also open to preamp/amp set up. Not looking at brand new equipment. It will be used for music, movies and sports. Trying to keep cost under 2K.
Wondering if a marantz 7000 series AVR PLUS a 2 or 3 channel amp (100 or 150 watts per channel) would suffice.
Thanks
This is what I would recommend. Yamaha uses ESS sabre DAC, which to many audiophiles seem to be best found in any AVR.

Yamaha RX-2080 (140 watts / channel)

If you go the Denon route, then you'll get the AKM DAC which is not talked a lot about

To me, I personally vouch for Yamaha as it sounds better for music. Also, you'll fiddle less with the remote while watching a movie or listening to a music as YPAO has only sound mode selections unlike Audyssey on Denon which has several settings including Dynamic volume, Offset etc which is a complete mess and can ruin your experience.

Sent from my XQ-AS52 using Tapatalk

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Hi
Thanks
Unfortunately B & W speakers are known for being a torture test load for amplifiers. Yours are no exception. They are rated as 8 ohm, but they are nothing of the kind. They have an impedance below 4 ohm right across the major power band, with highly adverse phase angles.

This what it looks like.

That is a torture test and calculated to melt receivers.

Those speakers really do require a robust separate power amp.

Eppie

Eppie

Audioholic Ninja
Judging by the post from TLS Guy you will be wise to go the AVR + amp route. Crown amps have been popular with members here and something in the XLS line is rated down to 2 ohms. XLS 1002 is only $365 but you may want a little more power like the XLS 1502 for $470. That would leave $1500 for an AVR with whatever features you prefer.

E

enrique

Full Audioholic
i know it was mentioned sr7000 series plus amp. why not sr8015 w/o amp.. just asking

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

E

enrique

Full Audioholic
i know it was mentioned sr7000 series plus amp. why not sr8015 w/o amp.. just asking

just reread. saw budget sorry

S

Sachb

Full Audioholic
just reread. saw budget sorry

I haven't tested Marantz myself but it's way more expensive than you think.

As expensive as an entry level MCINTOSH if I'm not wrong. Is it worth the money the money, I have no clue to be honest.

This guy is looking for a powerful AVR within 2k or close.

Sent from my XQ-AS52 using Tapatalk

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
When I owned the B&W 802 D2 (bought brand new for $12K), I used my Denon 3000 series AVR to play around. It worked just fine playing music quite loudly (but still sensible, not CRAZY volume).

So I don't buy all this talk of "NEEDING LOTS OF POWER". :D

I also used an ATI 200WPC amp to power the 802D2 and Revel Salon2 with absolute ease.

For $2K, you could definitely get a solid brand new AVR.

If you have ANY DOUBTS, always start your music or movie playback at lower volume, then increase.

If you listen to SENSIBLE NORMAL volume, I think ANY Denon/Marantz or Yamaha mid-level ($1500-$2000) AVR will be dandy. But if you listen to crazy volume, then definitely get an amp. :D

V

venky

Audiophyte
Thank you all for the suggestions and helpful advice. I have decided to get a decent mid-range AVR along with the 2 channel crown amp.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Thank you all for the suggestions and helpful advice. I have decided to get a decent mid-range AVR along with the 2 channel crown amp.
Just couple of points for you to consider:

a) The graph TLSGuy posted is for the diamond, not the Nautilus.
b) I could not find such a graph for the 802 Nautilus, but I think they would be just as tough to drive.

So if you want optimum performance and/or listen to levels reasonably loud, unless you sit very close to those big speakers, a mid range receiver may not be able to drive some power amps to sufficiency high output level.

Among the popular mid range receivers, the ones that have the best chance to drive just about any 200 to 400 W power amp to their output limits are Denon's, based on bench test measurements.

One last point, for Crown amps, you should pick one that has the lowest distortions and highest SNR. It would be a pity to use an amp that don't have specs good enough to guarantee transparency, to drive the 802 Nautilus.

If you can stretch your budget to above $700, a great amp for those speakers is the Hypex based Buckeye amps.
It is not only relatively cheap, but light and small too as you can see in the attached photo. That tiny one sitting on top of the gigantic one is 40% more powerful, and at just below rated output its distortion and noise is much lower as well.

Attachments

V

venky

Audiophyte
If you can stretch your budget to above $700, a great amp for those speakers is the Hypex based Buckeye amps.
It is not only relatively cheap, but light and small too as you can see in the attached photo. That tiny one sitting on top of the gigantic one is 40% more powerful, and at just below rated output its distortion and noise is much lower as well.
Thanks Peng for the advice. I bought a used Marantz SR-7007 for under $500. I am looking at amps now, What is the parasound model ??

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis