Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
The new US cases of Covid-19 per day show that the decline after the 4th surge may have already leveled out somewhere between 70,000 to 75,000 new cases/day (1200 to 1300 deaths/day). After each of the previous 3 peaks of infections there was a general sense that "it's over, we can finally relax". This pandemic is far from over.

If it does die down enough to be considered endemic instead of pandemic, that transition will be slow. Vaccinating roughly 90-95% of the population will speed up that transition. But at ~70% vaccinated, we are far from that goal.

Considering that there are new Covid-19 peaks in Asia and Eastern Europe, it's only a matter of time before we see another surge of infections in North America.
1636576537264.png

Last edited:
davidscott

davidscott

Audioholic Ninja
The new US cases of Covid-19 per day show that the decline after the 4th surge may have already leveled out somewhere between 70,000 to 75,000 new cases/day (1200 to 1300 deaths/day). After each of the previous 3 peaks of infections there was a general sense that "it's over, we can finally relax". This pandemic is far from over.

If it does die down enough to be considered endemic instead of pandemic, that transition will be slow. Vaccinating roughly 90-95% of the population will speed up that transition. But at ~70% vaccinated, we are far from that goal.

Considering that there are new Covid-19 peaks in Asia and Eastern Europe, it's only a matter of time before we see another surge of infections in North America.
View attachment 51379
Lets hope not. And there are probably another 10% or so that have had Covid so some immunity there. But the unvaxed peeps are playing with fire.

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
Lets hope not. And there are probably another 10% or so that have had Covid so some immunity there. But the unvaxed peeps are playing with fire.
A report titled "COVID-19 Cases and Deaths by Vaccination Status" was recently published by the Texas Dept. of State Health Services.

Key Findings
  1. From September 4 through October 1, 2021:
    • Unvaccinated people were 13 times more likely to become infected with COVID-19 than fully vaccinated people.
    • Unvaccinated people were 20 times more likely to experience COVID-19-associated
    death than fully vaccinated people.

2. Vaccination had a strong protective effect on infections and deaths among people of all ages. The protective impact on infections was consistent across adult age groups and even greater in people ages 12 to 17 years. The protective impact on COVID-19 deaths, which was high for all age groups, varied more widely. In the September time frame, unvaccinated people in their 40s were 55 times more likely to die from COVID-19 compared with fully vaccinated people of the same age. Unvaccinated people aged 75 years and older were 12 times more likely to die than their vaccinated counterparts.

3. Overall, regardless of vaccination status, people in Texas were four to five times more likely to become infected with COVID-19 or suffer a COVID-19-associated death while the Delta variant was prevalent in Texas (August 2021) compared with a period before the Delta variant became prevalent (April 2021).
There are some graphs of daily cases (page 5) and daily deaths (page 8) that vividly show the benefits of vaccination.

1636584798230.png

1636584891769.png

davidscott

davidscott

Audioholic Ninja
Read an interesting article about Florida's covid numbers today. It only includes full time Florida residents. So condo owners who spend some time here aren't counted even if they contract and are hospitalized in Florida. Nice way for Florida to fudge the numbers...

MaxInValrico

MaxInValrico

Senior Audioholic
Read an interesting article about Florida's covid numbers today. It only includes full time Florida residents. So condo owners who spend some time here aren't counted even if they contract and are hospitalized in Florida. Nice way for Florida to fudge the numbers...
This is why I stated that I do not trust Florida numbers. The DeSantis admin is playing games with them.

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
White-tailed deer may be a wild animal reservoir for the SARS-CoV-2 virus.

So far, there is evidence for human-to-deer and deer-to-deer transmission of the virus. At present, there isn't evidence for deer-to-human transmission, but I wouldn't be surprised if that becomes the case. More work could nail that down. So, to be fair to the deer, humans seem to be the virus reservoir.
Veterinarians at Pennsylvania State University have found active SARS-CoV-2 infections in at least 30% of deer tested across Iowa during 2020. Their study, published online last week, suggests that white-tailed deer could become what's known as a reservoir for SARS-CoV-2. That is, the animals could carry the virus indefinitely and spread it back to humans periodically.

From April to December of last year, about 30% of the deer that they tested were positive for SARS-CoV-2 by a PCR test. And then during the winter surge in Iowa, from Nov. 23, 2020, to Jan. 10 of this year, about 80% of the deer that they tested were infected. At the peak of the surge, Kapur says, the prevalence of the virus in deer was effectively about 50 to 100 times the prevalence in Iowa residents at the time.

If that's the case, it would essentially dash any hopes of eliminating or eradicating the virus in the U.S. – and therefore from the world – says veterinary virologist Suresh Kuchipudi at Penn State, who co-led the study.
https://www.npr.org/sections/goatsandsoda/2021/11/10/1054224204/how-sars-cov-2-in-american-deer-could-alter-the-course-of-the-global-pandemic

Last edited:
cpp

cpp

Audioholic Ninja
Well I asked a few antivaxers a question this week. So if you get covid and end up in ICU for weeks and you die, is your family ready to handle all the hospital bills on your stay and the medical assistance that tried to keep you alive. Interesting, these men, never gave that any thought. Its all about "them" and their feelings the Govt and medicine is wrong. A lot of these anti vaccine folks just fail to think about the cost to them and their families if one of them gets covid and ends up for a long stay in the hospital and the panic to their family if they die.

M

Mr._Clark

Audioholic Samurai
There seems to be a lot of futsing around with the numbers in Florida.

davidscott

davidscott

Audioholic Ninja
There seems to be a lot of futsing around with the numbers in Florida.
Considering just how many part timers there are in this state that's got to be a pretty big number of unreported covid cases.

M

Mr._Clark

Audioholic Samurai
Just when you thought the antivax stuff couldn't get any weirder, I present "detoxing" after getting vaccinated:

>>>In a TikTok video that has garnered hundreds of thousands of views, Dr. Carrie Madej outlined the ingredients for a bath she said will “detox the vaxx” for people who have given into Covid-19 vaccine mandates.

The ingredients in the bath are mostly not harmful, although the supposed benefits attached to them are entirely fictional. Baking soda and epsom salts, she falsely claims, will provide a “radiation detox” to remove radiation Madej falsely believes is activated by the vaccine. Bentonite clay will add a “major pull of poison,” she says, based on a mistaken idea in anti-vaccine communities that toxins can be removed from the body with certain therapies.<<<

davidscott

davidscott

Audioholic Ninja
Just when you thought the antivax stuff couldn't get any weirder, I present "detoxing" after getting vaccinated:

>>>In a TikTok video that has garnered hundreds of thousands of views, Dr. Carrie Madej outlined the ingredients for a bath she said will “detox the vaxx” for people who have given into Covid-19 vaccine mandates.

The ingredients in the bath are mostly not harmful, although the supposed benefits attached to them are entirely fictional. Baking soda and epsom salts, she falsely claims, will provide a “radiation detox” to remove radiation Madej falsely believes is activated by the vaccine. Bentonite clay will add a “major pull of poison,” she says, based on a mistaken idea in anti-vaccine communities that toxins can be removed from the body with certain therapies.<<<

Madness.

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
I noticed that "detoxing" story too. Any idea of reversing a vaccination is as absurd as trying to unring a bell. A bath in epsom salts and baking soda can't cause harm. But stay from adding borax to that bath! So, I laughed.

On second thought, this lie – like all politically motivated lies – has to be immediately and loudly debunked. Otherwise the lie is repeated and exaggerated into something harmful. Remember the poor clowns who drank bleach? And like all politically motivated lies, if repeated enough, it lends credence to whoever repeats the lie most often.

The woman, a doctor of osteopathy, who spoke about detoxing after vaccination, should loose her license to practice.

Last edited:
Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
I'm a bit surprised no one has commented on my earlier post (#6,627) about white-tailed deer acting as a wild animal reservoir for corona virus.

If this is as widespread as that paper shows, it would explain the curiously rapid spread of the virus, but it would also essentially dash any hopes of eradicating the virus in North America, or the world.

Vaccinations would protect individuals, but it couldn't get us to herd immunity. That herd now includes all humans, all white-tailed deer, and possibly other species as well.

M

Mr._Clark

Audioholic Samurai
I'm a bit surprised no one has commented on my earlier post (#6,627) about white-tailed deer acting as a wild animal reservoir for corona virus.

If this is as widespread as that paper shows, it would explain the curiously rapid spread of the virus, but it would also essentially dash any hopes of eradicating the virus in North America, or the world.

Vaccinations would protect individuals, but it couldn't get us to herd immunity. That herd now includes all humans, all white-tailed deer, and possibly other species as well.
I guess it's not clear to me how significant the deer "reservoir" issue is. If the virus is already common in the human population and humans are spreading to other humans, does the deer-to-human spread have a big impact? The notion that it could mutate in deer and be transmitted back to humans does concern me, but I'm not sure how much can be done about it? I'm not saying it isn't a problem, I'm just saying I don't have a handle on it.

That's a round about way of saying I didn't comment because I don't have anything particularly intelligent to say about it, as evidenced by the above.

MaxInValrico

MaxInValrico

Senior Audioholic

Not surprised about it at all since it's also been found in dogs and cats. I would suspect any mammal will be found to carry it

M

Mr._Clark

Audioholic Samurai

I noticed the NPR article about mutations and the endgame forecast for the coronavirus. Some of it is sobering, if not downright depressing:

>>>Six months into the pandemic, the virus seemed to be following the predicted course. "To date, there have been very few mutations observed," molecular biologist Peter Thielen at Johns Hopkins University told NPR in June 2020 for a story with the headline: "This Coronavirus Doesn't Change Quickly, And That's Good News For Vaccine Makers." Then in December 2020, right around the holidays, SARS-CoV-2 shifted course, drastically. . . .

So all of a sudden, it looked like SARS-CoV-2 not only was mutating but was doing so quite rapidly. Last month, Kistler and her colleagues at the University of Washington published a new metric to measure how quickly SARS-CoV-2 is evolving as it adapts to living inside humans. When Kistler first saw the value, she was shocked. "SARS-CoV-2's rate of adaptation is remarkably high right now," she says, "like roughly four times higher for SARS-CoV-2 than it is for seasonal flu." . . .

"I don't think SARS-CoV-2 will stop adapting," Kistler says. "It may slow down, but viruses that evolve adaptively tend to keep doing that. They don't tend to hit the limit of evolution."

This fast evolution has immense implications, many scientists say. It essentially dashes the hopes of eradicating SARS-CoV-2 in the U.S. or even in smaller communities. As with the flu, the coronavirus will likely be able to reinfect people over and over again. It will keep returning year after year.<<<

Hopefully we do reach a point where it becomes more like the common cold, as suggested in the article.

Switching back to a more depressing possibility, I find myself wondering if the politics surrounding the virus will eventually fade. It seems like it might be part of the political landscape almost indefinitely.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord

I'm not thrilled by this news. I'm supposed to go hunting in a few weeks. Might not now.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis