Emotiva RMC-1 16CH Atmos/DTS:X AV Processor Preview

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
OMG!
I just got an email blast from Emo...
:rolleyes:
(I don't know who I have to go down on to get off their stupid list, and I have tried!)

Emo is FINALLY releasing the first two versions of their RMC-1 expansion modules!
There will be a Phono Input module, as well as an XLR Input Module.

No channel expansion modules, yet, I guess... (Wasn't that one of their biggest promises?)

Oh well. Not my circus, not my Monkeys.

Good luck, Emo!
I got the email too. My first thought was that I was kind of surprised the unit didn't come with a phono input by default. My second thought was that given the Emo track record, I hope they implement these modules properly out of the gate.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
I got the email too. My first thought was that I was kind of surprised the unit didn't come with a phono input by default. My second thought was that given the Emo track record, I hope they implement these modules properly out of the gate.
With Emo’s record… they’ll have to break 3 more designs first! :p
I remember looking at this with interest… I think I know of 2 (maybe 3) owners that claim to have never had a problem with it. Sadly, along with the all too common stories of it not working right ~90% of the time, the broken promise of their 4-Subwoofer expansion module was one of the things that caused my belligerent disinterest.
*shrugs
Oh well.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
With Emo’s record… they’ll have to break 3 more designs first! :p
I remember looking at this with interest… I think I know of 2 (maybe 3) owners that claim to have never had a problem with it. Sadly, along with the all too common stories of it not working right ~90% of the time, the broken promise of their 4-Subwoofer expansion module was one of the things that caused my belligerent disinterest.
*shrugs
Oh well.
Heck, I didn't even look at the pricing, now I'm curious. I think upgrade modules have tended to be something that seems like a great idea, but always seems to fall flat in practice.

I recall seeing NAD having something similar, but then when I saw an upgrade module for ~$500-600 each, the value proposition went right out the window. These modules must have terrible economies of scale!

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Heck, I didn't even look at the pricing, now I'm curious. I think upgrade modules have tended to be something that seems like a great idea, but always seems to fall flat in practice.

I recall seeing NAD having something similar, but then when I saw an upgrade module for ~$500-600 each, the value proposition went right out the window. These modules must have terrible economies of scale!
Total agreement...
I think the 16 -channel "Super Processor" is a very interesting product category with a lot of potential if the manufacturers ever get it figured out properly for general home usage. Not everybody needs, wants, or can even use that many channels, but a 7.4.6 isn't completely uncommon in many build-outs I've seen. Do the math, though, and it becomes apparent that many HT Hobbyists with a dedicated room are easily tapping out the potential.
Those that support Dirac Live and the Bass Control Module require independent channels for the Subs, so no mDSP 2x4. Expanding that channel count upwards to the Luxury brands like Storm, Trinnov, etc is prohibitive for many. That's why products like the HTP-1 and the RMC-1 could be so valuable, especially the RMC-1 with that expansion module. (Too bad it doesn't work, and that module doesn't exist! :rolleyes:
Frankly, I think Anthem's AVM-90 is an almost perfect implementation of 15-channels +4 Sub outputs (assuming these Sub Outputs are truly independent). (And assuming Anthem gets their gear to just flippin' work!)

Unfortunately, the economy of scale just isn't on the consumers side. There are plenty that seem to want them, but that "plenty" is a drop in the bucket of actual households that may support a more normal HT AVR or Processor.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
Total agreement...
I think the 16 -channel "Super Processor" is a very interesting product category with a lot of potential if the manufacturers ever get it figured out properly for general home usage. Not everybody needs, wants, or can even use that many channels, but a 7.4.6 isn't completely uncommon in many build-outs I've seen. Do the math, though, and it becomes apparent that many HT Hobbyists with a dedicated room are easily tapping out the potential.
Those that support Dirac Live and the Bass Control Module require independent channels for the Subs, so no mDSP 2x4. Expanding that channel count upwards to the Luxury brands like Storm, Trinnov, etc is prohibitive for many. That's why products like the HTP-1 and the RMC-1 could be so valuable, especially the RMC-1 with that expansion module. (Too bad it doesn't work, and that module doesn't exist! :rolleyes:
Frankly, I think Anthem's AVM-90 is an almost perfect implementation of 15-channels +4 Sub outputs (assuming these Sub Outputs are truly independent). (And assuming Anthem gets their gear to just flippin' work!)

Unfortunately, the economy of scale just isn't on the consumers side. There are plenty that seem to want them, but that "plenty" is a drop in the bucket of actual households that may support a more normal HT AVR or Processor.
(Ignore the price, but) Have you seen this thing!

A

apgood

Audiophyte
Ha-Haa-haaahaahaahaaaahaa-ha!
No, nor did I know Focal was in on that side of the bidnez.
It is built by Immersive Audio Technologies (aka StormAudio) for Focal. It is basically an updated version of the I.ISP that StormAudio used to sell.

Means it is a solid bit of kit and benefits from ongoing firmware enhancements that StormAudio puts out.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
I would think anyone willing to pay $15K for a refurbished equipment (that could have something wrong with it) would just buy it brand new. :D
I think those kind of >>$10K AVPs have so many things going on in them that very few people would notice it even it those things have some issues.:D More than likely even if any of those would/should have resulted in something audible, it would be overcome/hidden by bias, that it would "sound better" regardless.:D

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I think those kind of >>$10K AVPs have so many things going on in them that very few people would notice it even it those things have some issues.:D More than likely even if any of those would/should have resulted in something audible, it would be overcome/hidden by bias, that it would "sound better" regardless.:D
Yeah, mo money = mo sound. :D

You guys do remember the time I bought a REFURBISHED Denon AVP-A1HDCI? It was DOA. It sounded great. :D

Replicant 7

Replicant 7

Audioholic Samurai
Yeah, mo money = mo sound. :D

You guys do remember the time I bought a REFURBISHED Denon AVP-A1HDCI? It was DOA. It sounded great. :D
Lol, yeah never seen you so mad. Guess I'd be pissed to if I dropped 7k and it crapped out.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Lol, yeah never seen you so mad. Guess I'd be pissed to if I dropped 7k and it crapped out.
These things are massively complex electronic machines. It's worse than a box of chocolates - you never know what you're gonna get when you buy a refurbished complex electronic machine. :D

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis