GR Research Hot topic?

D

Dieago

Audioholic Intern
Loving the hd I was just stating what I thought about them because I read most of this thread and was lots of cable talk but I can never prove my thoughts because I just dont have the money to walk that area of sound. Unless I get lucky and my 6 numbers hit one day

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
To be fair, If I had the disposable income and absolute impunity in my choices in this hobby... I might well go after some Kimbers or other respected Audio Bling...
But the operative word is Bling. :D No expectation of magical promises other than to look real good to me.
Masturbatory, like.
:oops:
You know, like @Danzilla31 and Ports. :p

D

Dieago

Audioholic Intern
I also read the words snake oil on here. Those words remind me of youtube a lot I believe half of what I hear on there and trust few I hear say it

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I also read the words snake oil on here. Those words remind me of youtube a lot I believe half of what I hear on there and trust few I hear say it
There is no bigger snake oil in audio than the silly cables from a variety of folk.....Danny included.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Loving the hd I was just stating what I thought about them because I read most of this thread and was lots of cable talk but I can never prove my thoughts because I just dont have the money to walk that area of sound. Unless I get lucky and my 6 numbers hit one day
Conversations about premium XO components are a lot like Cables.
While I do not think Danny is snake oil, he does, on video, comport himself as one that believes in a little voodoo.
*shrugs
It does strike me funny, as people who share his traits usually are regarded as pretty straight shooters. However, nothing makes an audiophool drool like the "possibility" of a .000001% improvement. And that's well withing the margin of error for convincing oneself something IS better.
And that's why you will see this group come back, time and again, to the idea of Double Blind Testing. Its the only way to really do it. ;)

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
Guys I am new hello. Ok this is topic is a few months old But let me first say I was also a sceptic and also my system sounds very very good to me even though its getting older. I am only 65 miles from GR shop so I drove up yesterday and in person I gave everything a listen and everything was on the floor in the wide open to see and OMG my ears were blown away couldn't believe my ears. I like every one else have been in a magnolia sound room and listen to the Martin Logan B&W ETC ETC. nothing Ive heard sounded so sweet to my ears. I bought a pair of speakers. Now maybe cables do sound like snake oil but also maybe when you move to another way higher level of equipment where you are tweaking there just may be a difference! Now will high end cables help your 6 grand system or your 2000 system maybe not. But just maybe when you get into running clean power on everything like a professional sound studio quality then maybe yes. But on my 15yo 1200.00 L&R speakers and my NEW B&W Center and my 15 yo Pioneer elite I doubt they would make any difference I could hear with my ears. But guys If you spend 6 grand on speakers and another 3 grand on a receiver then another 2-3 grand on a amp and 2 grand on other peripherals are you going to use 25.00 Amazon cables? I mean would you buy a 100 grand sports car and buy generic no name brand tires from wally world? But all said and done I went to his house and business and seen and heard for myself and That was Friday and I am still in awe. I listen to the speakers I bought and I am very happy. There is many many levels to systems and I heard one level I will never hear or afford. All of use become skeptical because we have all seen marketing at work especially in that blue store where the employs need a schematic to just tie their shoes. I enjoy Youtube but man oh man is it also a marketing business of the new age. But all being said on cables my 60yo being a mechanic with air tools I doubt they would help me I just dont know on that. But his speakers are legit to my ears!
The car analogy only works when you realize that comparing tires to cables doesn't work simply because tires are a critical part of making a car (especially a high end car) be able to do its job. Tires are more like the drivers in the speaker.

Cables take a signal from one place to another. Similar as to how cables in a car take a signal from one place to another. You think exotic cars use exotic wiring?

D

Dieago

Audioholic Intern
True said Ryan What I dont like is a person that will tell you anything you want to hear just to make a buck.

D

Dieago

Audioholic Intern
The car analogy only works when you realize that comparing tires to cables doesn't work simply because tires are a critical part of making a car (especially a high end car) be able to do its job. Tires are more like the drivers in the speaker.

Cables take a signal from one place to another. Similar as to how cables in a car take a signal from one place to another. You think exotic cars use exotic wiring?
I absolutely do not know all I can do is speculate. Ask me about a bike a boat a seadoo or a atv and I can answer a question but I am not a electrical or electronic engineer But I do like classic rock!!!! And I like it to sound good and sometimes loud so guess I am not to old.

D

Dieago

Audioholic Intern
And I also am not a English teacher lol So please excuse me grammar lol again

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
I absolutely do not know all I can do is speculate. I am not a electrical or electronic engineer
This is exactly why you shouldn't try to convince us that cables make a difference. Unless you can give a scientific reason as to why they sound different, then most of us aren't interested.

D

Dieago

Audioholic Intern
I wasn't aware I tried to sell anyone on anything. I was just saying what I thought and the reason I thought it. I do know his products sounded awesome and I left some money there.. Im no smarter than anyone on here but Im not dumb either and I also thought forums were for discussions and opinions am I wrong? I do not down or wrong any man for a opinion. And if someone on here said they went and spent the money on said cables I would never call him out on it If a man buys something and it makes him happy so be it

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
We've discussed cables ad nauseam already, tho. Try these articles to get a flavor of the site's attitude towards cable magic

D

Dieago

Audioholic Intern
Like said earlier whoever said they were using monoprice? Thats what I have and keeping but I do understand if a person was trying to compete or milk every last bit of performance then yes. But on the quality of the majority of owners I dont think the human ear of a old man could tell. but If I like the sound of what I have well then good enough is good enough. If your getting dirty signal thru other things up the line then I cant see the point. Me My old house 1903 has solid wood walls and carpet wall to wall so very little echo. well I went the extra mile and have a dedicated 12/2 wire running from my service under the house and only sound equipment on it. anal? yes does it help? probably not! But I ran it and did it myself so very very little cost.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Like said earlier whoever said they were using monoprice? Thats what I have and keeping but I do understand if a person was trying to compete or milk every last bit of performance then yes. But on the quality of the majority of owners I dont think the human ear of a old man could tell. but If I like the sound of what I have well then good enough is good enough. If your getting dirty signal thru other things up the line then I cant see the point. Me My old house 1903 has solid wood walls and carpet wall to wall so very little echo. well I went the extra mile and have a dedicated 12/2 wire running from my service under the house and only sound equipment on it. anal? yes does it help? probably not! But I ran it and did it myself so very very little cost.
You're running perfectly adequate wiring. Many of us here buy from Monoprice. The most exotic around here tends to be Blue Jeans Cables. There won't be an audible improvement (and possibly a degradation) by spending more on it from boutique type vendors....even your local home improvement store has perfectly good stuff in bulk usually. Making your own cabling is a definite option, altho I'll chicken out on hdmi :) The vendors of wire of the likes of Audioquest (fraudioquest I prefer to call 'em), Nordost, MIT, Transparent, Cardas, Wireworld and many others unfortunately would have you think somehow their products are advanced with their pseudo-science marketing speak.....just a disgusting part of the audio world unfortunately, but many are making money pushing such crapola.

M

mdinno

Junior Audioholic
I thought it was interesting at first like I did with audio science but turned out to be another hack.

D

Dieago

Audioholic Intern
the ones I bought was off Amazon and I just looked and its the onix series

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
I send them off to my subsidiary business, cable cookers r us.
I smoke mine... 16 hours per 500' spool, a combination of Hickory and Applewood.
They're usually a little sticky though.
That insulation just melts in your mouth.

NINaudio

NINaudio

Audioholic Samurai
Now maybe cables do sound like snake oil but also maybe when you move to another way higher level of equipment where you are tweaking there just may be a difference!
Short answer is no. If you're trying to tweak your sound by changing cables and amps, then that means those cables and amps are causing distortions in your signal.

I mean would you buy a 100 grand sports car and buy generic no name brand tires from wally world?
This is a terrible analogy. Tires are clearly the last object to interact with you and the road you're driving on. Tires play a rather large part in how your car handles, brakes, and accelerates. Speakers are clearly the last object to interact with the signal you want to hear. Speakers play one of the largest parts in the sound you perceive. Therefore, I'd say tires are more analogous to speakers.

So much in cars relies on electronics nowadays, are you going to buy buy "performance" wiring for every system in your car?

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis