What kind of Atmos speakers are you using?

}Fear_Inoculum{

}Fear_Inoculum{

Senior Audioholic
If any?

Looking to get 4 for the HT room sometime next year. My current set up consists of Paradigm LCR, and KEF Q150 for my surrounds. I was looking at the Monoprice 134198 in ceiling speakers on Amazon:

They're inexpensive, but I'm not sure if they're "cheap" and going to be garbage. Any other suggestions welcomed. I don't really have a budget in mind per se, but would like to stay under the ~2k Canadian Pesos mark to keep the wife happy.

Cheers.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
I used four of these.

They have fantastic imaging and excellent dispersion. The soft dome tweeter is a little bit softer sounding than the titanium tweeters in the rest of my system. But it’s not noticeable, and I never ever think about it, unless I’m recommending them. In practice they’re seamless.
They also share the same 15° baffle as the mono’s

}Fear_Inoculum{

}Fear_Inoculum{

Senior Audioholic
I used four of these.

They have fantastic imaging and excellent dispersion. The soft dome tweeter is a little bit softer sounding than the titanium tweeters in the rest of my system. But it’s not noticeable, and I never ever think about it, unless I’m recommending them. In practice they’re seamless.
They also share the same 15° baffle as the mono’s
Too bad they're sold out. Not in a rush to get them yet, so hopefully they'll be back in stock when I'm ready to order them.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Too bad they're sold out. Not in a rush to get them yet, so hopefully they'll be back in stock when I'm ready to order them.
You can definitely get on the list. Email or call Joe Rodgers. Excellent human being. We shared a lot of phone time and emails(some not related to these speakers). He will answer any and all questions in a patient and timely manner.

Pandaman617

Pandaman617

Senior Audioholic
I use two pairs of Martin Logan Motion 4’s mounted to Monoprice mounts on my ceiling at an angle.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
I use four Mark Audio CHN 110 full range drivers, in 0.25 cu. ft. sealed enclosures crossed at 100 Hz.

The are each driven from a 100 watt amps. They have done very well, and produce plenty of output in that configuration. These are an excellent choice for Atmos ceiling speakers, probably the best choice.

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
Okay unlike every one else I have to post something I'm not very proud of. At least I can teach others what not to do

I went with in walls the paradigm CI Elite E80IW
Not in ceiling speakers in walls I wanted the higher dynamics and power handling to keep up with the rest of the system

What I was not understanding is in ceilings are designed to have a better dispersion pattern then in walls.

It still sounds better then bouncy speakers on top of your towers but imaging isn't as precise as I'd like it to be

So this upcoming year I'm going to have to fix it. Which will cost and also it's no easy task to replace something once you've cut holes in your ceiling

I'm going to open up a fun thread soon where you guys can help me figure out a solution to this problem hopefully it'll help new members just getting into this avoid my mistakes

marticus

marticus

Audioholic
Okay unlike every one else I have to post something I'm not very proud of. At least I can teach others what not to do

I went with in walls the paradigm CI Elite E80IW
Not in ceiling speakers in walls I wanted the higher dynamics and power handling to keep up with the rest of the system

What I was not understanding is in ceilings are designed to have a better dispersion pattern then in walls.

It still sounds better then bouncy speakers on top of your towers but imaging isn't as precise as I'd like it to be

So this upcoming year I'm going to have to fix it. Which will cost and also it's no easy task to replace something once you've cut holes in your ceiling

I'm going to open up a fun thread soon where you guys can help me figure out a solution to this problem hopefully it'll help new members just getting into this avoid my mistakes
This is a good point, especially because as I've been keeping an eye on in ceiling speakers and am seeing a lot of in walls being sold as ceiling speakers.

caveat emptor

Benni777

Benni777

Audioholic
I at the moment am looking/shopping for ceiling speakers as well. RSL is certainly at the top of my list, however there is another company to look at as well. I know there are some Emotiva haters here but have you looked at the Airmotiv Vaulta? They are in stock at $300 for the pair.

I dont know much about them or how well they'd timbre match my, or anyones setup but they are intriguing. I would like to know if they tweeter section of that speaker would be super bright or on the warmer side of the spectrum.

Also would like to know just how important are the Atmos speakers? Besides the sub, in my mind your LCR is the most important with you side and or rear surrounds being next on that list. Atmos seems like it would be only little nuances of sound, right? I'd think they wouldn't activate that much but I dont know since I have not listened to Atmos as of yet.

Thoughts, opinions, ideas?

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
I have found that most of the lesser expensive in-ceiling speakers sound very similar to each other. I'm not sure of the directionality of the angled in ceiling speakers, but I'm not for a bit of directionality to the speakers. I have compared Sonance, Polk, B&W, Monoprice, and some other brands, and at the end of the day, I didn't find the audio differences to be night and day between any of them. There were some higher end Sonance speakers I used that did sound better, but they were also a lot more expensive. The 8" Monoprice speakers are every bit as good as the Klipsch or Polk 8" speakers for sure, and should be a fair bit less money overall, which just makes good financial sense.

I would think any speaker with a sealed back box has the potential for better sound, but I would bet that it may be more than most are willing to spend.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
I have found that most of the lesser expensive in-ceiling speakers sound very similar to each other. I'm not sure of the directionality of the angled in ceiling speakers, but I'm not for a bit of directionality to the speakers. I have compared Sonance, Polk, B&W, Monoprice, and some other brands, and at the end of the day, I didn't find the audio differences to be night and day between any of them. There were some higher end Sonance speakers I used that did sound better, but they were also a lot more expensive. The 8" Monoprice speakers are every bit as good as the Klipsch or Polk 8" speakers for sure, and should be a fair bit less money overall, which just makes good financial sense.

I would think any speaker with a sealed back box has the potential for better sound, but I would bet that it may be more than most are willing to spend.
Not if you make it yourself. A 0.25 cu.ft sealed box is very cheap and simple to build. What I suggested is the simplest, cheapest and best solution for in ceiling Atmos speakers.

Benni777

Benni777

Audioholic
Not if you make it yourself. A 0.25 cu.ft sealed box is very cheap and simple to build. What I suggested is the simplest, cheapest and best solution for in ceiling Atmos speakers.
What if you cant get into the attic space for a box? That is my dilemma. House was pre-wired for speakers BUT I didn't think the back end of it out. (the box).

So going raw dawg is my only choice, I think. But I digress.

Kingnoob

Kingnoob

Audioholic Samurai

What do people do for Atmos in smaller rooms were in ceilings isn’t an option?, ?
those look spectacular but make an actual speaker box for them too much of Hassel . That’s the only way to mount them on the wall.

Or is Atmos really only needed in medium sized rooms and bigger ?

$250 for each speaker is a lot for something so tiny https://www.svsound.com/products/prime-elevation?utm_source=shopsheriff&utm_medium=amp&utm_content=link-to-full-site&_gl=1*1u32g5c*_ga*NEhBZEpzX3MtOXRxbWNrQWxfanJuOU5WakNzOHRUbl9wdHNEN3ZzNnFkcEtIaV8zVl9KVWFXLVBneHJkOUo4Vg..
At that price I’m better off doing 3ch.

N

nicoven

Audiophyte
What do people do for Atmos in smaller rooms were in ceilings isn’t an option?, ?
those look spectacular but make an actual speaker box for them too much of Hassel . That’s the only way to mount them on the wall.

Or is Atmos really only needed in medium sized rooms and bigger ?

$250 for each speaker is a lot for something so tiny https://www.svsound.com/products/prime-elevation?utm_source=shopsheriff&utm_medium=amp&utm_content=link-to-full-site&_gl=1*1u32g5c*_ga*NEhBZEpzX3MtOXRxbWNrQWxfanJuOU5WakNzOHRUbl9wdHNEN3ZzNnFkcEtIaV8zVl9KVWFXLVBneHJkOUo4Vg..
At that price I’m better off doing 3ch.
Just to mention that those speakers in Europe cost 699€.
I wish I would live in US when it come to electronics prices.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis