My speaker has a rear and front port...

A

adaboy5

Audiophyte
I just picked up a pair of like new Paradigm Titan v6 speakers for $68 with stands at an Estate sale today. I dont ever remember seeing a speaker with dual ports front and back. Can some one explain why? I've tried a google search to no avail.

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
I just picked up a pair of like new Paradigm Titan v6 speakers for $68 with stands at an Estate sale today. I dont ever remember seeing a speaker with dual ports front and back. Can some one explain why? I've tried a google search to no avail.
Have you asked the manufacturer? They should be the ones who can give you more info.

I can't figure out the reasoning behind that port configuration, but it could just be to market a different design from all others. Was there any space for two ports on one side?

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Have you asked the manufacturer? They should be the ones who can give you more info.

I can't figure out the reasoning behind that port configuration, but it could just be to market a different design from all others. Was there any space for two ports on one side?
There isn't a reason why that can't work, really. The placement of those ports don't present a problem in themselves.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Why indeed it does.

showimage.jpeg

Maybe not enough room on one side of the cabinet for the width of a single port?

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
There isn't a reason why that can't work, really. The placement of those ports don't present a problem in themselves.
I never implied that the position of the ports mattered. I have known for a long time that the location of ports don't represent a problem. I have been building speakers for over 50 years.
The OP is just querying why they did put the ports on opposite sections of the boxes.

Just seeing the photo which Pogre added, IMO the manufacturer wanted a larger front duct port opening while avoiding the use of elbows due to the size of the box. So they decided to add a second port at the back to obtain the right tuning frequency.

Last edited:
Kingnoob

Kingnoob

Audioholic Samurai
Why indeed it does.

View attachment 51095

Maybe not enough room on one side of the cabinet for the width of a single port?
Yeah I don’t think it’s a relevant enough thing to worry about, those look spectacular sounding !! Most places take ports over passive, long port length a downfall . And port noise .. not that you can hear it .
I’ll never find a deal that good , stopped looking for used gear my area sucks . Deal of the century !

A

adaboy5

Audiophyte
Just recieved a reply back from Paradigm!
Hello Adrian,

Thank you for your query. Do to the physical limitations of the speaker and to get the correct amount of port area they did this to get the optimum amount of bass reinforcement from the ports.
Best regards,

Atma

Technical Support Advisor

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
It should have just read, "Pogre was right.". Woulda been much more succinct.

:p

Kingnoob

Kingnoob

Audioholic Samurai
Sounds like I need to look Estate sales or something, he’ll of a deal . I probably shouldn’t bother looking for anything, other then a way to beat insomnia.. with my luck I’d see something amazing way out of my tiny budget .
A pair of speakers under $100 and light years head of anything I’m using. Best deals I’ve seen were too far away for my junk car .
Enjoy op

A

adaboy5

Audiophyte
Sounds like I need to look Estate sales or something, he’ll of a deal . I probably shouldn’t bother looking for anything, other then a way to beat insomnia.. with my luck I’d see something amazing way out of my tiny budget .
A pair of speakers under $100 and light years head of anything I’m using. Best deals I’ve seen were too far away for my junk car .
Enjoy op
Me and the wife hit Estate sales and thrift stores weekly mostly to get out of the house. Yes there are some great deals when people want to clear a house out! Found a set of Bang and Olufsen S80 for $30, replaced foams surrounds updated the crossover capacitors. Oh and some Infinty Beta 50's for $40 at yard sale for garage listening.

Kingnoob

Kingnoob

Audioholic Samurai
Me and the wife hit Estate sales and thrift stores weekly mostly to get out of the house. Yes there are some great deals when people want to clear a house out! Found a set of Bang and Olufsen S80 for $30, replaced foams surrounds updated the crossover capacitors. Oh and some Infinty Beta 50's for $40 at yard sale for garage listening.
Yeah I just stopped going to goodwill, because I never found any good gear ⚙. And they raised movie prices to$2 I’m not paying double the old price of $1 I’ll stick to streaming for now on . May start going again just not sure it’s going to pan out for anything good but never know .
I missed a lot of garage sales, there just too hard to go find . Especially when your car is disintegrating .

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
Congrats!! My first HT setup was a complete Technics package including towers. The towers, SB-T100, was an MTM configuration with dual ports, one in the back and one in the front below the bottom woofer. They could dig really deep as I clearly heard bass in the opening sequence of Richard Strauss's " Also Sprague Zaratustra" Let us know what Paradigm says.

A

adaboy5

Audiophyte
Congrats!! My first HT setup was a complete Technics package including towers. The towers, SB-T100, was an MTM configuration with dual ports, one in the back and one in the front below the bottom woofer. They could dig really deep as I clearly heard bass in the opening sequence of Richard Strauss's " Also Sprague Zaratustra" Let us know what Paradigm says.
Thanks! The 7.5 drivers have good bass and I will be adding a Kef kube 12db sub soon as it arrives. I feel like I'm set for years to come!

Kingnoob

Kingnoob

Audioholic Samurai
Thanks! The 7.5 drivers have good bass and I will be adding a Kef kube 12db sub soon as it arrives. I feel like I'm set for years to come!
Kef subs pretty good ? Or is it the form factor that’s appealing?? Don’t see them much on subwoofer debates .. see them as similar to rel . Does the brand color the sound different ?? Or everything the same .
Save a lot of space vs a 15” sub..

A

adaboy5

Audiophyte
Kef subs pretty good ? Or is it the form factor that’s appealing?? Don’t see them much on subwoofer debates .. see them as similar to rel . Does the brand color the sound different ?? Or everything the same .
Save a lot of space vs a 15” sub..
I compared it to the SVS 12, klipsch, Rel, Polk and choose it based on reviews. Several reviews stated it blended well with speakers, simple controls, has good low end impact and smallish size. I like the form factor as well. I have a bedroom turned man cave so it will be plenty. It's mainly for music as I have a good surround system for movies. It is my first subwoofer purchase.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
I compared it to the SVS 12, klipsch, Rel, Polk and choose it based on reviews. Several reviews stated it blended well with speakers, simple controls, has good low end impact and smallish size. I like the form factor as well. I have a bedroom turned man cave so it will be plenty. It's mainly for music as I have a good surround system for movies. It is my first subwoofer purchase.
Wait. How can this be a first subwoofer purchase if you already have a “good surround system”? Am I missing something?

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis