Atoms speakers - Questions for you Experts here , thx

KcMeGa007

KcMeGa007

Audioholic Intern
Hi, People
I'm a newbie in HT , and i want to ask a bit more people , is it really true that Enable Atom speakers - Only benefit to or in role to , apply for Atoms surround feature.
Because i recently paid (ordered ) a Kef Q50A enable speakers , I know that these shoots the sounds to the ceiling and bounce back down , but if for future proof , is it better off getting a Normal Bookshelf speakers for my surround speakers , instead of this Q50A , my second choose was the Kef Q350 as my Front L/R , then i use my Kef Q150 for the surround area.
so, is it really true that Enabled Atom Speakers ONLY Benefit or in Role to Atom feature, use.,, cz i am still waiting for my New Receiver to arrive : Yamaha RX A8A Receiver , everything has to be Ordered and for a long time period , done to Worldwide Shortage and Out of Stock in store.

Thank you ,everyone
Cheers

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
Hi, People
I'm a newbie in HT , and i want to ask a bit more people , is it really true that Enable Atom speakers - Only benefit to or in role to , apply for Atoms surround feature.
Because i recently paid (ordered ) a Kef Q50A enable speakers , I know that these shoots the sounds to the ceiling and bounce back down , but if for future proof , is it better off getting a Normal Bookshelf speakers for my surround speakers , instead of this Q50A , my second choose was the Kef Q350 as my Front L/R , then i use my Kef Q150 for the surround area.
Yes its better to get bookshelf speakers to use as surround speakers than the Q50A. The Q50A will be diificult to integrate seemlessy because they don't go low enough as shown below. Responses taken from the KEF website.

Frequency range Free Field( - 6dB) – 96Hz - 19.5kHz
Frequency Response(±3dB) 105Hz-18.5kHz

The second thing I dont like about them is that your bouncing sounds of ceiling which makes front speaker positioning a trade off between ATMOS and main channel placement. You are better off with ceiling speakers or finding a way to place smaller bookshelf shelf speakers from the ceiling. the wedge shape may not be optimum for aiming the sound towards the listener.

I like your second choice.

Eppie

Eppie

Audioholic Ninja
To answer the second part of your question, the ATMOS speakers are normally only used with movies that have ATMOS effects, but there are also simulated surround modes on your receiver that can take non-ATMOS content and use the ATMOS speakers for simulated surround.

The Q50A can be a good option if you live in a rented apartment and can not install ceiling speakers, but properly installed ATMOS or height effect speakers will be more immersive. I agree with 3dB that the frequency response of the Q50A does not go low enough for a proper effects speaker.

KcMeGa007

KcMeGa007

Audioholic Intern
Thank you so much ! Guys
,,I told the sale rep, that once I pick up my new Yamaha RX A8A Receiver, I will switch my order Q50A speaker to the Q350, I bet Q350 is much better sounding speakers then Q50A, anyway thank you so much ,,cheers

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis