Colin Powell dies, RIP

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
Colin Powell, well known and well respected, died today at age 84 at Walter Reed National Military Medical Center. He was a former high ranking Army general, Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, and Secretary of State. As Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, he guided the US military to victory in the 1991 Persian Gulf War. A decade later in 2003, he struggled over the US invasion of Iraq as a beleaguered Secretary of State. He harbored deep misgivings about the timing of the invasion and the size of the invading U.S. force.

As the Pentagon’s top officer, Powell played a prominent role in restoring a sense of pride to the nation’s post-Vietnam military and began the reshaping of American forces after the end of the Cold War. His famous prescription for the use of force, dubbed by journalists the Powell Doctrine, called for applying military force only with overwhelming and decisive troop strength, a clear objective, and popular support.

The cause of death was Covid-19, although Powell was fully vaccinated. However, he also had multiple myeloma, a form of cancer that leaves patients without a functioning immune system.

Last edited:
MaxInValrico

MaxInValrico

Senior Audioholic
I won't say I agreed with Powell's politics, he tried to be non-political while being in a political position. As well, you don't get to the level he was at in the military without being politically aware.

Having said that, he was a really nice guy and I was lucky enough to drink a few beers with him as he lived across the street from my uncle in McLean Virginia.

H

Hetfield

Audioholic Samurai
I won't say I agreed with Powell's politics, he tried to be non-political while being in a political position. As well, you don't get to the level he was at in the military without being politically aware.

Having said that, he was a really nice guy and I was lucky enough to drink a few beers with him as he lived across the street from my uncle in McLean Virginia.
Holy cow wow, you had some beers with him? That's very cool.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

Mikado463

Mikado463

Audioholic Spartan
RIP, in my heart I believe he was a good man, who served his country well in multiple rolls. We need more like him...

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.

One lucky person you are.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Well biden does have him beat on deferments...
Not about Biden, its just about the orange idiot who made the comments, stay focused!

ps Forgive me if I missed Biden making equally unhinged comments in memorium like the drumph?

Last edited:
gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
I was sad to hear this. Powell was an honorable man from what I've seen.

H

Hetfield

Audioholic Samurai
I was sad to hear this. Powell was an honorable man from what I've seen.
And Trump is pure garbage that 74 million people voted for. We are screwed as a society, as a country when half the voting population doesn't reject this kind of garbage. It's not "liberals" that will take down the country, it's radical, white terrorists that think the country is theirs and it's now their duty to preserve it, to take it back.

John Parks

John Parks

Audioholic Samurai
RIP to a great American and a great American life.

That being said, it is amusing to see the conversation swerve to a certain ex president that lives rent free in so many American's (and some Canadian's: a certain one who brought it up first) heads. "Hmm, Colin Powell passed awa.... em... er... aarrgh - but TRUUUUMMP! Reeee!" I am, however, disappointed that it took 19 hours from the first post for the TDS to set in. My favorite comment so far was reprimanding another poster and to "stay focused!" because this is about TRUMP! No, it is about General Powell.

H

Hetfield

Audioholic Samurai
RIP to a great American and a great American life.

That being said, it is amusing to see the conversation swerve to a certain ex president that lives rent free in so many American's (and some Canadian's: a certain one who brought it up first) heads. "Hmm, Colin Powell passed awa.... em... er... aarrgh - but TRUUUUMMP! Reeee!" I am, however, disappointed that it took 19 hours from the first post for the TDS to set in. My favorite comment so far was reprimanding another poster and to "stay focused!" because this is about TRUMP! No, it is about General Powell.
Right because Trump didn't plant his fat @ss right in the middle of this story. Stop with TDS, it never was funny. I'm sure you are one of those 74 million clowns that voted for the piece of garbage that can barely stand up on 2 feet.

John Parks

John Parks

Audioholic Samurai
Right because Trump didn't plant his fat @ss right in the middle of this story. Stop with TDS, it never was funny. I'm sure you are one of those 74 million clowns that voted for the piece of garbage that can barely stand up on 2 feet.

On the contrary, TDS is always funny! :D

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis