Old receiver antenna help

T

Tully

Audiophyte
EBD89675-91D7-4FFC-AA39-F38B63C11164.jpeg

I’m needing to get an fm antenna for this but all of the 75ohm seem to be coax connector type. If I get a coax to 2 wire adapter where would the second wire go? I’ll probably order a set that also has the 300ohm am as well so any help with how to hook this up will be greatly appreciated.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
View attachment 50763
I’m needing to get an fm antenna for this but all of the 75ohm seem to be coax connector type. If I get a coax to 2 wire adapter where would the second wire go? I’ll probably order a set that also has the 300ohm am as well so any help with how to hook this up will be greatly appreciated.
Your picture is not clear. It looks as if that old receiver was designed to have a 300 ohm connection.

There are transformer available to covert from 75 ohm to 300 ohm.

T

Tully

Audiophyte
Your picture is not clear. It looks as if that old receiver was designed to have a 300 ohm connection.

6863F01D-9BC4-4BB5-A0EE-4944EA23EC71.jpeg

sorry about first image quality. Maybe this will show up better.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
View attachment 50770
sorry about first image quality. Maybe this will show up better.
So, it will take a 75 ohm connection as well. So you take the 75 ohm coax cable and strip it so the inner core is exposed, and a little way back the outer insulation is removed. Then you loosen the two screws on the bracket below the 75 ohm connector, and feed the cable up from below. The center solid core connects to the 75 ohm screw, and you tighten the bracket so it clasps the screen shield tightly. The latter is the ground connection, and the center core caries the signal. So the center core AND screen must make secure connections. The center core and shield must not touch, as that would create a short circuit and you will have no signal.

T

Tully

Audiophyte

[/QUOT
So, it will take a 75 ohm connection as well. So you take the 75 ohm coax cable and strip it so the inner core is exposed, and a little way back the outer insulation is removed. Then you loosen the two screws on the bracket below the 75 ohm connector, and feed the cable up from below. The center solid core connects to the 75 ohm screw, and you tighten the bracket so it clasps the screen shield tightly. The latter is the ground connection, and the center core caries the signal. So the center core AND screen must make secure connections. The center core and shield must not touch, as that would create a short circuit and you will have no signal.
Thanks!

Eppie

Eppie

Audioholic Ninja
@Tully Do you already have an antenna which you need to connect with proper wiring? If so then follow the advice from TLS Guy. If not and your local radio stations have a strong signal, you would be surprised how well a single piece of stranded wire will work. A very light gauge of stranded wire is all that is required. Car aerials are typically 31 inches long, so cut a piece of thin insulated stranded wire to 31" (79cm), strip off 3/8" (1cm) of insulation from one end and connect under one of the balanced FM terminals. That's all it takes for basic FM reception.

If you are connecting an external FM antenna, then you will need the proper 2 wire cable, either 75 ohm coax or 300 ohm flat cable. Simple dipole antennas can be purchased on Amazon.

Last edited:
T

Tully

Audiophyte
@Tully Do you already have an antenna which you need to connect with proper wiring? If so then follow the advice from TLS Guy. If not and your local radio stations have a strong signal, you would be surprised how well a single piece of stranded wire will work. A very light gauge of stranded wire is all that is required. Car aerials are typically 31 inches long, so cut a piece of thin insulated stranded wire to 31" (79cm), strip off 3/8" (1cm) of insulation from one end and connect under one of the balanced FM terminals. That's all it takes for basic FM reception.

If you are connecting an external FM antenna, then you will need the proper 2 wire cable, either 75 ohm coax or 300 ohm flat cable. Simple dipole antennas can be purchased on Amazon.
Thanks. I had a 75 ohm coax to 2 wire connector and a coax cable I hooked to the 75ohm connection and ground and it helped quite a bit. I’ll still probably grab a cheap 300ohm antenna off of Amazon as well. I definitely appreciate y’all’s help.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Curious, as I haven't lived in areas with anything much in the way of radio reception for a while, as well as the general death of much of the good radio stations IMO, do you still have some good stations to listen to? Last few I found listenable were generally university/college run stations....the corporate stuff is just sad.

Eppie

Eppie

Audioholic Ninja
Thanks. I had a 75 ohm coax to 2 wire connector and a coax cable I hooked to the 75ohm connection and ground and it helped quite a bit. I’ll still probably grab a cheap 300ohm antenna off of Amazon as well. I definitely appreciate y’all’s help.
For basic reception the dipole antennas from Amazon are fine. The coax is more commonly used if you have cable TV service as some cable TV providers also broadcast FM over the cable, or you can run the coax to an external aerial. I use simple dipole antennas indoors.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis